Edinburgh - Ulster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Ulster

Postby gowrie on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:20 pm

That was a good performance overall. Young guys stood up and physically pushed Ulster back time and again for the first 60. Disappointing that we dropped off so much near the end, and didn't look for the extra point when the game was won and the clock red.

McCallum and Cosgrove stood up, Toolis and McKenzie ran the lineout excellently, Bradbury and Ritchie were devils at the breakdown and carried well. Burleigh and Kinghorn the standout backs, I can't say it enough how excellent Kinghorn is at such a young age, rock solid under the high ball.

Some perspective, that even with that win we're 8th and 4 points behind Scarlets in 7th, but I think I'm coming round to Hodge, we finally look like we're going somewhere.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Can't work out what's the most satisfying thing between:

a) The performance of the team as a whole, but particularly the likes of Ritchie, McCallum and Cosgrove who really stepped up tonight;
b) The fact that our 19 year old fullback outshone his All Black opposite number;
c) Seeing the reactions before, during and after the game on the Ulster forum, particularly given the sh!te they've been spouting about us all week.

Ah, why choose - I'll take all three ... :wink:
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Ritchie - 17 tackles and was off the pitch for a while as well
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:02 am

Great team performance, all the better for it being unexpected. Think I enjoyed the first hour as much as any Scottish team performance for quite some time.

However it's not all positive - I'm sure at about the hourmark I saw Bradbury drop a pass ! :D
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:32 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Ritchie - 17 tackles and was off the pitch for a while as well

as per usual with Ritchie's game, the others will take the plaudits but I followed him during the game and he was a monster for us.

We have a fair bit of depth in the back row when all are fit and firing.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:36 am

The Chiel wrote:
However it's not all positive - I'm sure at about the hourmark I saw Bradbury drop a pass ! :D

Agree, Bradbury out!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:49 am

Ever since Solomons went, it's been a completely different Edinburgh side, bar last weeks game. If it continues like this the 1872 cup will be great to watch. Of course Glasgow will take the spoils though. :wink:
David990
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:43 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Ritchie - 17 tackles and was off the pitch for a while as well

I think he looked better at 7 than he does at 6 to be honest.

It was a very pleasing performance. We have the makings of a very good team I think, the next couple of years if we keep these guys together we'll do very well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:33 am

Great performances all over tonight. Cosgrove and McCallum showed up very well (how good was it to see a scrum where ther wasn't reset after reset? Just two packs neutralising each other and it stay in stationary), Cochrane providing the maturity and throwing in very very well, Mackenzie was excellent, Toolis as well, Ritchie mature beyond his years, Mag being astinshing as he has b en all year, Mata offering something different and confusing / scaring defensive lines, Kennedy carrying on really good form with quick service, Tovey being solid and providing occasional breaks good vision and game management, Burleigh and Allen being rocks in defence and moving the ball very well, Hoyland looking aggressive and dangerous, Brown aggressive and chasing everything, Kinghorn looking astonishing for his age with every touch.

Fantastic to watch, great rugby, great result.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:46 am

Nice result.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:59 am

Props did a really tremendous job.

Scotland have an embarrassment of riches in the back row, no Manu, Watson, Hardie last night.

Cochrane keeps things nice & simple.

Excellent victory for Edinburgh, funny old team.....................

The off-load by Du Preez in the lead up to the 3rd try was a thing of beauty.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:22 am

Average age of the starting team was 24.1, the team that finished was an average of 23.5, with the pack at 22.5.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

After last weeks result and the way Ulster have started the season I thought ER would be in for a tough time last night. Wow did not expect that result.
Thought the pack throughout were superb and as others have said the two young props were outstanding. What was the average age of the starting pack last night? Cornel being back showed in flashes what we have been missing.
Backline showed improvement too, gaining confidence perhaps. Fewer mistakes and for the most part didn't force the game except for a brief period in the second half. Think the way the game went in the last twenty minutes that Tofilu could have caused serious damage to Ulster.
Thank you gentlemen, that was an Edinburgh I'd come back to watch. By the look of it a reasonable number turned up last night so you are doing something right at last.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:47 am

I'm gutted because I've only been able to catch the first half-hour. That was good but not enough.
I was happy to see Ritchie at this level. His tackling was astounding. Really happy too for Cosgrove and McCallum.
I'm eager to see the full game, if you have any link.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby crispy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:19 am

germain wrote:I'm gutted because I've only been able to catch the first half-hour. That was good but not enough.
I was happy to see Ritchie at this level. His tackling was astounding. Really happy too for Cosgrove and McCallum.
I'm eager to see the full game, if you have any link.

It's on iplayer now http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-v-ulster
crispy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum