Ben Toolis

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ben Toolis

Postby macdone on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:54 am

Ben deserves a thread of his own - he can do everything and is consistent week in week out - carrying, making tackles, clearing rucks and winning lineouts. I have no idea how he is not in the Scotland squad. But Alex was also under appreciated hence the move to Oz. I hoped the pair of them would be the foundation of our pack for the next 8 years or so. The worry is that Ben also makes the move back to Oz. I hope he gets some national team recognition sooner rather than later. More importantly, surely he is the early front runner for the Caullie Lug.
macdone
World Cup Star

Re: Ben Toolis

Postby djphilp on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Toolis has already been capped has he not? Did he not get carded on debut? Therefore I doubt he'll rush off back to Aus, but he may head off for more money in France or down south especially if he isn't picked ahead of the likes of Swinson who is a good pro but not an international.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:26 pm

He's definitely one of the glaring omissions from the squad along Scott and Welsh. He's been performing at a good level for the past 2 seasons and continuing it now, and is going to fit any new mobile game plan here very well.

He just seems to be one of those players whose face doesn't fit with Cotter, it might change when Townsend takes over, but if it doesn't then it will probably be tough to keep him, he's definitely up there as one of the best lineout locks in the Pro12, potentially Europe.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

djphilp wrote:Toolis has already been capped has he not? Did he not get carded on debut?

Aye - against Italy in the 6N last year. Both he and Hamish Watson made their debuts off the bench in that game, both finished the match in the sin bin.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:38 pm

I seem to recall an interview with both brothers and it was made apparent that Alex was homesick. I think that is more likely to be the reason for the move back to Oz, it's a shame and yet another example of why we need another pro team, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Anyway, Ben is going great guns, he, Hamish and The Tovenator have been our best players so far this season, imo.

If Toolis keeps it up he must make the 6N squad.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Ludicrous to me that Gilchrist is in the squad ( and presumably on the bench against Oz with Swinson playing today) and Toolis omitted.On the basis of this season's form Toolis is miles ahead.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:50 pm

liveinhope wrote:Ludicrous to me that Gilchrist is in the squad ( and presumably on the bench against Oz with Swinson playing today) and Toolis omitted.On the basis of this season's form Toolis is miles ahead.

Yeah but Cotter likes Gilchrist (was appointed captain before injury) and Toolis was present during Cotter's worst defeat in charge so maybe something there.

I agree she should be in the squad but it's good we have one of our top performers around during international season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I agree she should be in the squad but it's good we have one of our top performers around during international season.

Bet you wouldn't be calling Ben a she to his face :wink:
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

Ben is in the Pro 12 Dream Team for season. Well deserved, I think, not just for playing 500 games in a row but for his lineout work and the shift he puts in with tackles and getting his hands on the ball.

Seymour is the other Scot in the team.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I seem to recall an interview with both brothers and it was made apparent that Alex was homesick. I think that is more likely to be the reason for the move back to Oz,

no no no, and Ben has not been capped. Its all a conspiracy :roll: :roll:

Ben Toolis is a cracking player, very unlucky not to be in more Scotland squads
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri May 05, 2017 2:26 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I seem to recall an interview with both brothers and it was made apparent that Alex was homesick. I think that is more likely to be the reason for the move back to Oz,

no no no, and Ben has not been capped. Its all a conspiracy :roll: :roll:

Ben Toolis is a cracking player, very unlucky not to be in more Scotland squads

I always wondered if for some reason VC held his debut against him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 06, 2017 1:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Ben is in the Pro 12 Dream Team for season. Well deserved, I think, not just for playing 500 games in a row but for his lineout work and the shift he puts in with tackles and getting his hands on the ball.

I think the fact he's played every single game helps, he has been excellent this season for us but perhaps not one of the better second rows in the league.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat May 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:Ben is in the Pro 12 Dream Team for season. Well deserved, I think, not just for playing 500 games in a row but for his lineout work and the shift he puts in with tackles and getting his hands on the ball.

I think the fact he's played every single game helps, he has been excellent this season for us but perhaps not one of the better second rows in the league.

I'm sure the number of games has helped, but last time I saw his stats his averages per game were also impressive.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Deadball on Mon May 08, 2017 4:13 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Really? Not one of the better second rows? Have you seen his stats? 19 games, 222 tackles, 130 lineouts won, 140 carries - I think people need to keep in mind that he still managed to achieve those stats playing with an out of form team all season and his 130 successful lineouts were achieved working with lifters and throwers who weren’t always doing their job so well. He is the best lineout operator in Europe, 65 more than the next guy on the list this season from what I remember. Think what he could do if he was playing with a better quality side on a regular basis. It’s a bit harsh to say he’s not one of the better quality locks in the comp…what does the guy need to do seriously! I also think he was very hard done by to not claim the Caullie Lug this year, this is not the Player of Season award which I think fans can forget. Hamish will more than likely get the player of the season award and deserves it, but commitment to the jersey, doing all the hard work and getting very little in return is what that award is all about and Toolis by far has done that more than any other player this season. Contrary to what some people believe stats can actually say a lot about a player. He played a blinder on Saturday and stood out more because there were actually other players who wanted to win that night for a change.
Deadball
Embra Debut

Postby djphilp on Sat May 13, 2017 4:55 pm

His excellence this season has been noticed by Toonie too, who has proven to have a pretty decent eye for what makes a top notch player. For all the plaudits Vern was getting he still had blinkers to certain players, Toolis being one, which were inexplicable at times.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum