Huw Jones

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Huw Jones

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:45 pm

and we drop further behind
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 pm

There were strong rumours towards the end of last year that Bennett was heading back to France. Not heard about the Newcastle link but Mermoz has certainly been linked with them and has only signed with Tigers until end of the season.
If Bennett is to come to Edinburgh, then I would imagine that he will have been given guarantees about who is coming and going for next season because I really can't see him wanting to come along the M8 and team up with what is a very underperforming Edinburgh if there is to be little squad movement. He only needs to look at how well Matt Scott has done since heading south from Edinburgh although that might have had a lot to do with the way Solomons set his team up, albeit still not making the Scotland 23.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:There were strong rumours towards the end of last year that Bennett was heading back to France. Not heard about the Newcastle link but Mermoz has certainly been linked with them and has only signed with Tigers until end of the season.
If Bennett is to come to Edinburgh, then I would imagine that he will have been given guarantees about who is coming and going for next season because I really can't see him wanting to come along the M8 and team up with what is a very underperforming Edinburgh if there is to be little squad movement. He only needs to look at how well Matt Scott has done since heading south from Edinburgh although that might have had a lot to do with the way Solomons set his team up, albeit still not making the Scotland 23.

The thing is, at 24 Bennett really needs to be playing regularly and if he moves out the country I'd rather it was to a decent side.

All the top 8 English Prem teams have decent/good 13's except maybe Quins. I can't see them spending a decent wage cap sum on Bennett. Again with the French sides, he'd have to pick his move carefully.

There is a lot to be said for him signing with Edinburgh for two years and playing week in week out then reassessing when he is 26.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

We badly need Bennet at Embra! He is a class act and I would be delighted to see him come along the M8. He has real pace and a step and would give us the threat we have been missing, he could go outside Dean who looks more like a 12 to me. SRU need to get behind him moving and free up some cash for us.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Its not for the SRU to free up the cash, Edinbrgh have to do it by offloading some of the journeymen. Cant remember who is out of contract but would not be adverse to losing Helu and Allan to get Bennet. I think Tofilua is out of contract too. If we kept Dean, Rasolea (he is under contract so likely to stay) Burleigh and Bennet that would be a step forward. Id like to see Bryce get a run at 13 at some point too. Hopefull the sevens gets his confidence back.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Contracts up at the end of this season below. I agree with Doedin, sign Bennet NOW.

Allen (Michael)
Beavon (Nick)
Berghan (Simon)
Bresler (Anton)
Brown (Tom)
Cosgrove (Jack)
Fowles (Nathan)
Gilchrist (Grant)
Hardie (John)
Helu (Will)
Kennedy (Sean)
Manu (Nasi)
Nel (WP)
Sutherland (Rory)
Tofilau (Sasa)
Whyte (Kyle)
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Wottie wrote:Contracts up at the end of this season below. I agree with Doedin, sign Bennet NOW.

Allen (Michael)
Beavon (Nick)
Berghan (Simon)
Bresler (Anton)
Brown (Tom)
Cosgrove (Jack)
Fowles (Nathan)
Gilchrist (Grant)
Hardie (John)
Helu (Will)
Kennedy (Sean)
Manu (Nasi)
Nel (WP)
Sutherland (Rory)
Tofilau (Sasa)
Whyte (Kyle)

Would keep SB,AB, TB, JC, WP, RS and KW from the above list. GG needs to move on to try and get his career back on track. JH and NM will probably be high end earners and we have not really got our monies worth from them. Would let the 2 scrummies go with a view to getting in a Peter Stringer type to mentor SHC.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:
Wottie wrote:Contracts up at the end of this season below. I agree with Doedin, sign Bennet NOW.

Allen (Michael)
Beavon (Nick)
Berghan (Simon)
Bresler (Anton)
Brown (Tom)
Cosgrove (Jack)
Fowles (Nathan)
Gilchrist (Grant)
Hardie (John)
Helu (Will)
Kennedy (Sean)
Manu (Nasi)
Nel (WP)
Sutherland (Rory)
Tofilau (Sasa)
Whyte (Kyle)

Would keep SB,AB, TB, JC, WP, RS and KW from the above list. GG needs to move on to try and get his career back on track. JH and NM will probably be high end earners and we have not really got our monies worth from them. Would let the 2 scrummies go with a view to getting in a Peter Stringer type to mentor SHC.

I'd agree with that, wouldn't be against keeping Kennedy at the right price.

We really shouldn't be against using academy players more as depth, Graham, Hutchinson etc. Rather than second rate journeymen like Helu.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum