Huw Jones

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Huw Jones

Postby pjduncan on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Unfortunately if he follows up his Autumn then a good Six Nations would likely see ourselves and Glasgow priced out of a move. On a slightly related note, is Kebble not SQ? I think I've heard he is, if Nel is off maybe worth a gander.

Apparently the SRU are already on it, but we're competing with Munster. Doesn't mention if he's SQ or not.
http://www.the42.ie/munster-oliver-kebb ... 6-Oct2016/
pjduncan
One cap wonder

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 am

pjduncan wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Unfortunately if he follows up his Autumn then a good Six Nations would likely see ourselves and Glasgow priced out of a move. On a slightly related note, is Kebble not SQ? I think I've heard he is, if Nel is off maybe worth a gander.

Apparently the SRU are already on it, but we're competing with Munster. Doesn't mention if he's SQ or not.
http://www.the42.ie/munster-oliver-kebb ... 6-Oct2016/

Article says the SRU are pursuing on a similar project player basis which suggests he is not SQ'd. If he is SQ'd you would think he would opt for us to get a shot at international rugby without having to do 3 year's residency.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:14 am

Mark Palmer tweeting about Jones coming to Glasgow with Bennett joining yourselves.....
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:18 am

hp18 wrote:Mark Palmer tweeting about Jones coming to Glasgow with Bennett joining yourselves.....

Not sure how much I believe that, but I think we're getting the better of the deal if it's true.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 am

gowrie wrote:
hp18 wrote:Mark Palmer tweeting about Jones coming to Glasgow with Bennett joining yourselves.....

Not sure how much I believe that, but I think we're getting the better of the deal if it's true.

Certainly be one for your win column if so though think Jones would be immense in a Glasgow team. I still find the idea bizzare though, he should be courting offers from big French/English teams with the chance to play top flight European rugby. He wouldn't get that for at least a year through east. I can understand wanting to be close to home, but I don't see it doing as much for Bennett's development.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 am

hp18 wrote:
gowrie wrote:

Certainly be one for your win column if so though think Jones would be immense in a Glasgow team. I still find the idea bizzare though, he should be courting offers from big French/English teams with the chance to play top flight European rugby. He wouldn't get that for at least a year through east. I can understand wanting to be close to home, but I don't see it doing as much for Bennett's development.

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't really see it being him desperate to stay in Scotland when he already left for France when he was 18, and it can't be the money.

Might be to do with international selection, and close calls swinging in favour of the home based player.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:00 pm

It depends really, you'd think if Bennett joins he'd become one of our highest paid players. Whereas the rumoured English team is Newcastle so they don't have the deepest pockets.

Maybe he could get Edinburgh firing and would be a huge signing for us but I imagine he'll want to chance his arm down south rather than here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Mark Palmer is generally pretty accurate with his inside news ref the SRU and signings. Note his tweet says: 'Mark Bennett is being lined up for a summer switch to Edinburgh'. In other words, that is the SRU's plan, doesn't mean it will come to fruition.

It is great news if he joins ER, he'd bring some much-needed cutting edge to the threequarters and be a key building block in developing a stronger back division. Even if it doesn't come to fruition, equally good news is that it sounds like the weakness of ER's back line is finally being recognised and addressed, which is a season or two overdue.

Huw Jones would have been much the more affordable choice, but either would be grand!

For Bennett to be enthusiastic about the move, leaving aside the money aspect, I'd think Embra would have to be rather positive about how they are going to build up the squad for next season to get up the league and into the Champions Cup. Otherwise, it could be seen as quite a step down for a guy who will not be short of offers from the top European clubs.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree with that, Roy, and hopefully Edinburgh-Bound Mark Bennett really is bound for Edinburgh. I'm not so down on the quality of our backs as others, but the centres are the area that should be the priority for reinforcement. He'd definitely do that and I'd love to see him over here.

I found his suggested move to Newcastle a bit odd when it came up originally. They seem to attract smaller crowds than we do and, while I've enjoyed watching them this season, good to see the Scottish boys playing well and all that, it didn't seem like a step up to me either. Could be wrong, but I wondered whether he chose them because they aren't that far away.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 am

I wonder whether both clubs offered Jones a deal and he chose Glasgow. One would think he wouldn't be short of offers, he has been very good in SA.

Glasgow are getting the better deal but this improves both sides IMO.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 am

Worth noting that Bennett has again been linked to Newcastle. They are also apparently looking at Mermoz, which would give them a handy centre partnership.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 am

Mermoz signed for Leicester I think or was that just until end of season?

Could be any number of scenarios with Bennett – the Newcastle link could be real, could be agent chat to aid negotiations with SRU/GW/ER.

If he has been told Glasgow would rather have Jones he may be a bit unhappy with the SRU machine and look outside of it. However he could also be looking at Matt Scott and seeing he has moved south is in top form but not getting into the Scotland match day squad.

If he is not getting a new deal at GW he has a big decision to make, would love to see him at ER but would not blame him for not wanting to move to us.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am

https://twitter.com/GlasgowWarriors/sta ... 8850012160

Glasgow have confirmed Jones it would seem, quite a good one I have to say.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Mermoz signed for Leicester I think or was that just until end of season?

Could be any number of scenarios with Bennett – the Newcastle link could be real, could be agent chat to aid negotiations with SRU/GW/ER.

If he has been told Glasgow would rather have Jones he may be a bit unhappy with the SRU machine and look outside of it. However he could also be looking at Matt Scott and seeing he has moved south is in top form but not getting into the Scotland match day squad.

If he is not getting a new deal at GW he has a big decision to make, would love to see him at ER but would not blame him for not wanting to move to us.

Mermoz is an injury joker. Or he was going to be, not sure if he actually signed!

I guess with Bennett he has done the living abroad thing, so he simply be wanting to stay closer to home unless he gets a really good offer. If Newcastle are the best offer he has away from Scotland then it would make sense to stay up here.

With Scott, one or a combination of VC, O'Halloran or Taylor must have real reservations about him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am

Jones confirmed 2 year deal at Glasgow
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum