Edinburgh away to Dragons

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh away to Dragons

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks, that's the first time I've seen any proper figures, and it's a lot closer than I'd thought.

but this from FKL
The SRU are only interested in levelling up if that means Glasgow continue to challenge. It doesn't make sense to make them worse to make us better.

Who said anything about making Glasgow worse? What I advocate is that Glasgow re-sign Dunbar, Bennett, Horne, Vernon, all of whom have played for Scotland in the centre and won the league with Glasgow, plus Grigg and Johnson (who looks very promising imo)
and we sign Jones.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:but this from FKL
The SRU are only interested in levelling up if that means Glasgow continue to challenge. It doesn't make sense to make them worse to make us better.

Who said anything about making Glasgow worse? What I advocate is that Glasgow re-sign Dunbar, Bennett, Horne, Vernon, all of whom have played for Scotland in the centre and won the league with Glasgow, plus Grigg and Johnson (who looks very promising imo)
and we sign Jones.

But it depends on if Rennie wants those 6 , whether those six want to stay, which team Jones wants to join and other factors. I was just pointing out the budgeting is tricky, Glasgow deserve more money than us at the minute as they're bringing crowds and success and we aren't - yet.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4302593

On the game this is very interesting, Cotter hints that Gray might be working with Pro teams at the breakdown:

[Contact consultant] Richie Gray has been helping us with that and he is doing a great job. We need to have a real focus on that with our Pro12 teams.

I think that was the deciding point yesterday, the Dragons controlled the breakdown which meant we couldn't play how we want to. If we smash rucks we can be unstoppable with quick ball.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

Thanks, that's the first time I've seen any proper figures, and it's a lot closer than I'd thought.

As Warriors have 50 players (incl Blake) and Embra have 43 (incl Beavon), that looks like a pretty fair and equal budget pro rata for both teams.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:23 pm

54 listed on the Warriors website not including Blake
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Sonicboom wrote:54 listed on the Warriors website not including Blake

3 of those are academy players and one a partnership deal with Hawks.

Even at 50 players, 7 more than Edinburgh for £300K, ie not a lot of money each. If it was 54, ie 11 more then they would be paid peanuts.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Bunch of those are academy though. A quick count gives 8 non-pro players and means squads of 43 and 46.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:18 pm

gowrie wrote:Bunch of those are academy though. A quick count gives 8 non-pro players and means squads of 43 and 46.

Edinburgh is 43, 17 backs, 26 forwards. That excludes Kyle White, who is a Partnership player and I think has joined the academy?

Warriors is actually 49 or 50, 23 backs - George Horne who is included on the official web page is an academy player, but they haven't yet added Ratu Tagive - and 26 or 27 forwards - the question-mark is over Ruaridh McKenzie, not sure if he joined as a Pro signing or an academy player.

That Warriors' total excludes the academy players included on the official website - G Horne, M Fagerson, Flockhart, Hunter-Hill and Wynne.

Basic point is that the budget split is about in line with the squad sizes.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Well there are 54 profiles, 23 backs and 31 forwards. Schulte on a partnership deal, Horne in the academy in the backs, Fagerson, Flockhart, Hunter-Hill, Thomson and Wynne in the academy, McKenzie partnership in the forwards.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Glasgow have 48 full-time pros, 2 on partnership contracts and 10 SRA stage 3 players.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Glasgow are reportedly paying Hogg a very nice six figure salary that begins with a 3, where would that come into it? Plus Gray jnr recently got an extension and Russell. I suppose this year is the big one for them as a lot of their big names are in their last year I believe.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:44 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Glasgow are reportedly paying Hogg a very nice six figure salary that begins with a 3, where would that come into it? Plus Gray jnr recently got an extension and Russell. I suppose this year is the big one for them as a lot of their big names are in their last year I believe.

Rumours on this forum have had Ford being paid an equivalent figure to Hogg, have they not?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 am

bignose wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Glasgow are reportedly paying Hogg a very nice six figure salary that begins with a 3, where would that come into it? Plus Gray jnr recently got an extension and Russell. I suppose this year is the big one for them as a lot of their big names are in their last year I believe.

Rumours on this forum have had Ford being paid an equivalent figure to Hogg, have they not?

I've heard Hogg's deal is comfortably the biggest the SRU have ever given a player because he's the icon of rugby in Scotland. I'd have serious questions if Ross Ford was one of the highest paid tnh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:56 am

“I'd have serious questions if Ross Ford was one of the highest paid tnh”

Why? He has over 100 caps, been loyal to ER and Scotland in spite of the muck that has been thrown at him at times when it would have been easier to move away like others have done, has kept himself in shape rarely being injured throughout his career and is 10 years older than Hogg and has earned each of his contracts of course he is going to be one of the higher paid players.

However I doubt he is on anything like Hoggs deal which by all reports is significantly more than any other SRU player. I believe Ford and a lot of other internationals are paid in the region of 55-75% of what Hoggs rumoured new salary is. However Ford will almost certainly not get another big contract from ER and others earnings will overtake him during the term of his current deal as their influence rises. I don’t grudge him anything that he has earned.

Regarding Hoggs salary and the GW budget his contract extension was signed earlier in the year, as usual it is not clear if the new salary was effective immediately or from the end of the existing contract ie end of this season if it is the £300k+ or whatever he is getting will only impact next years budget and will likely have an impact on who is resigned at GW and at what level.

Irrespective of budget size GW are getting much better value for money out of the players than we are at present
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:33 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:“I'd have serious questions if Ross Ford was one of the highest paid tnh”

However I doubt he is on anything like Hoggs deal which by all reports is significantly more than any other SRU player. I believe Ford and a lot of other internationals are paid in the region of 55-75% of what Hoggs rumoured new salary is. However Ford will almost certainly not get another big contract from ER and others earnings will overtake him during the term of his current deal as their influence rises. I don’t grudge him anything that he has earned.

Irrespective of budget size GW are getting much better value for money out of the players than we are at present

Highest paid was poor word choice from myself, I meant up there with Hogg.

I think the SRU will be helping Glasgow out with the Hogg deal and fair enough, he's the face of Scottish Rugby and a generational talent not seen since perhaps Mike Blair. It's a coup for Dodson to sign Hogg up before he announced he was trying to bring investment into clubs as it shows Scottish rugby can keep our best playing in Scotland.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum