Edinburgh away to Dragons

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh away to Dragons

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 am

Back to domestic business next weekend, I would guess that none of the internationals will be available to us, maybe CDP will be released back unless they want to cap him, so hazarding a guess, I don't see many changes from the side that started against Ulster, this is a must-win for us, we are already off the pace of the top six by a good few points and we are away to Ospreys in our next fixture,

1. Cosgrove
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. Toolis
5. McKenzie
6. Mata
7. Ritchie
8. Manu
9. Kennedy
10. Tovey
11. Brown
12. Burleigh
13. Dean
14. Allen
15. Kinghorn

16. Turner 17. ? 18. Arregui 19. Carmichael 20. Fihaki 21. Hidalgo-Clyne, 22. Weir, 23. /Tofilau/Bryce
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh away to Dragons

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 am

Tichtheid wrote:Back to domestic business next weekend, I would guess that none of the internationals will be available to us, maybe CDP will be released back unless they want to cap him, so hazarding a guess, I don't see many changes from the side that started against Ulster, this is a must-win for us, we are already off the pace of the top six by a good few points and we are away to Ospreys in our next fixture,

1. Cosgrove
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. Toolis
5. McKenzie
6. Mata
7. Ritchie
8. Manu
9. Kennedy
10. Tovey
11. Brown
12. Burleigh
13. Dean
14. Allen
15. Kinghorn

16. Turner 17. ? 18. Arregui 19. Carmichael 20. Fihaki 21. Hidalgo-Clyne, 22. Weir, 23. /Tofilau/Bryce

Looks about right. I'd have McInally and Hoyland in the 23 though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 am

Think if we were at home we may get some internationals back if they are not involved since it is the last game of the AIs but since they will need to travel to Wales we may be unlucky.

I think Tovey is injured so Weir probably starting 10.

Dragons beat Connacht last time out in the league so I don't think we can underestimate them especially given our "blip" v Zebre. However, we have the quality to go out and win but we must keep performing like we did v Ulster. I think we really need to be back in mix for the top 6 before we get to the 6N period.

Would be great to get some of our injured players back as well particularly Bresler.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Think if we were at home we may get some internationals back if they are not involved since it is the last game of the AIs but since they will need to travel to Wales we may be unlucky.

I think Tovey is injured so Weir probably starting 10.

Dragons beat Connacht last time out in the league so I don't think we can underestimate them especially given our "blip" v Zebre. However, we have the quality to go out and win but we must keep performing like we did v Ulster. I think we really need to be back in mix for the top 6 before we get to the 6N period.

Would be great to get some of our injured players back as well particularly Bresler.

Bresler was expecting it to be January before he was back last I heard.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Team pretty much picks itself for this game, assuming no internationals/injured players are back, then that team's pretty much spot on. The first team have all had a couple of weeks rest and should be fully ready, we need to win this game. Newport have looked better at home as the season's gone on, but we have to be winning these games to have even a shot at top 6 this season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:01 pm

While I would like to see Toolis and Hoyland get a cap it is unlikely I woudl think. Unless Toolis makes the bench. Hoyland seems behind Visser and Hughes for a bench spot at the moment, so surely will come back.

Dickinson may be ready for a bench place, if he was close to making the Aussie game he cant be far away. Did I dream that we signed a kiwi prop? Or was that Glasgow? Unbeleivable tthat we have 7 props unavailable at the moment. Crazy stuff, woudl love an explanation on Beavon, he seems to be playing for Melrose again.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:13 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Dickinson may be ready for a bench place, if he was close to making the Aussie game he cant be far away. Did I dream that we signed a kiwi prop? Or was that Glasgow?

Are you thinking of Jarrod Firth at Glasgow?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Frenchy wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Dickinson may be ready for a bench place, if he was close to making the Aussie game he cant be far away. Did I dream that we signed a kiwi prop? Or was that Glasgow?

Are you thinking of Jarrod Firth at Glasgow?

Surely the saffar Kyle White who was on the bench for Ulster match and we have signed on a partnership with Watsonians.

Hopefully we get CdP and Hoyland back for this, but wouldn't surprise me if Cotter has them on the bench for the Georgia match.

It's great to have Edinburgh back, hopefully another good win and exciting rugby!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:While I would like to see Toolis and Hoyland get a cap it is unlikely I woudl think. Unless Toolis makes the bench. Hoyland seems behind Visser and Hughes for a bench spot at the moment, so surely will come back.

Dickinson may be ready for a bench place, if he was close to making the Aussie game he cant be far away. Did I dream that we signed a kiwi prop? Or was that Glasgow? Unbeleivable tthat we have 7 props unavailable at the moment. Crazy stuff, woudl love an explanation on Beavon, he seems to be playing for Melrose again.

What explanation do you need? First year pro, I assume he's still developing.

PS I think he might be down at London Scottish, or was at least
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Beavon went down at the same time McQuillin came up, it's gone back to normal now. And there is an explanation needed, sure it's his first year, but he's 30 years old and we already signed a hooker to convert him to TH! Why of the 4 players we sign for one of the most important positions in the squad are 2 of them totally unready for pro rugby?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 pm

gowrie wrote:Beavon went down at the same time McQuillin came up, it's gone back to normal now. And there is an explanation needed, sure it's his first year, but he's 30 years old and we already signed a hooker to convert him to TH! Why of the 4 players we sign for one of the most important positions in the squad are 2 of them totally unready for pro rugby?

Agree with that, I had assumed it was the specifics of Beavon that were being sought
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

1. Cosgrove
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. Toolis
5. McKenzie
6. Mata
7. Ritchie
8. Manu
9. Kennedy
10. Tovey
11. Brown
12. Burleigh
13. Dean
14. Allen
15. Kinghorn

I'm ok with that team but I would swap Dean and Tofilau. Whyte should be the substitute loosehead prop.

gowrie wrote:Beavon went down at the same time McQuillin came up, it's gone back to normal now. And there is an explanation needed, sure it's his first year, but he's 30 years old and we already signed a hooker to convert him to TH! Why of the 4 players we sign for one of the most important positions in the squad are 2 of them totally unready for pro rugby?

I have no problem with that. Beavon and Bryce have been tested and they failed for the moment, for different reasons. McCallum step up, and Arregui was recruited, so there's no problem.

This game is going to be very difficult. It's certainly the worst period to play them. It's the first real test for Hodge away from Murrayfield.
We saw that we completly failed against a team like Zebre, so I'm a bit worried with that one, with probably a lot of contest in the rucks and around scrums or line-outs, a lot of kicks, etc... We showed that we were able to win it against team who were playing open rugby, but this will be very different.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:01 pm

germain wrote:
I have no problem with that. Beavon and Bryce have been tested and they failed for the moment, for different reasons. McCallum step up, and Arregui was recruited, so there's no problem.

Bryce was injured in the game he played, granted he also got his head shoved up his backside but we wont know how much of that was down to injury until we see him again.

Beavon has not played a single league game as far as I can see and certainly hasnt failed in that respect. He has been training since last Jan with Edinburgh and was given a contract in June, so it is very odd that he is not ready to play when he is 30 years old. Having seen him play club rugby I dont think he is far off what is needed. So I dont think we are getting the whole story here. First year pro is an acceptable explanation for the likes of Carmichael but not in the case where we he is an expericned player who was signed to give cover for Nel and Berghan. For a player signed in those circumstances not to get a single minute when we have 6 props unavailable is very strange indeed. How bad can he be?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:24 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
germain wrote:

Bryce was injured in the game he played, granted he also got his head shoved up his backside but we wont know how much of that was down to injury until we see him again.

Beavon has not played a single league game as far as I can see and certainly hasnt failed in that respect. He has been training since last Jan with Edinburgh and was given a contract in June, so it is very odd that he is not ready to play when he is 30 years old. Having seen him play club rugby I dont think he is far off what is needed. So I dont think we are getting the whole story here. First year pro is an acceptable explanation for the likes of Carmichael but not in the case where we he is an expericned player who was signed to give cover for Nel and Berghan. For a player signed in those circumstances not to get a single minute when we have 6 props unavailable is very strange indeed. How bad can he be?

I don't disagree with that. But whatever the reason (not good enough in training/injuries/something else), their recruitment is, at the moment, a failure. We can still hope it will change in the future, but even in the case it doesn't, it's not a real problem with McCallum and Arregui.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 pm

I don't think anyone can come to a conclusion about Bryce as a prop, he was injured very early on in the one game he played and then tried to scrum carrying his arm/shoulder injury. He couldn't bind properly and was in real pain hence his poor performance. To suggest he is not a good scrummager based on that one brief game he played is a little premature. He is reputedly a big strong guy and once fit it will be interesting to see him get some game time at TH. I think he might turn out ok.

I am more perplexed about Beavon’s signing and then not playing him. He is 30 and an experienced prop yet we don't seem to want to play him but are happy to bring in some youngsters instead. Fortunately McCallum has looked a real find but that was more luck than good squad management! We did start the season weak at TH, although Solomons squad management has always been a bit strange!

Anyone know what the story is about Bergham, what the injury is? He has looked good at TH albeit he has never looked match fit, has carried a few too many kgs and struggled to get around the park.
doedin
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum