Edinburgh away to Dragons

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh away to Dragons

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:31 pm

That was just AlainRolland’ awful!

We have decided to give them a chance and gift them a couple of tries through sheer incompetence and naivety. How stupid can we be at that line out when they didnt compete and then allow their hooker to come round and steal the ball? In fact I think MacKenzie gave him the ball thinking it was our SH! Ditto when we off loaded straight to their player and allowed them to gallop upfield and score. We are being man shamed at the breakdown and allowing them to block our clearers getting to the breakdown - they are leaving guys on the wrong side at every tackle. The ref is not helping and is pretty poor at reffing the breakdown, spends all his time shouting ‘no hands’ but doing AlainRolland all else.

We need Weir on for 2nd half to bring a bit more brains to the operation and to control things a bit better otherwise we will beat ourselves. We could and should be thumping this lot!

Best two players on the park are their 10 (we got Tovey instead who looks lost in the mayhem) and Beard!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Double

Agreed! With Manu and Bradbury making yards every time they are on the ball we should be attacking their 9-10-12 channel!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Our ruck clear outs are terrible.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Agreed - they are miserable! Just too many stupid mistakes and brain farts!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Good god - its getting worse! 20 mins left to at least salvage some respectability. Their 7 is showing Ritchie just how to play that position.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:04 pm

doedin wrote:Good god - its getting worse! 20 mins left to at least salvage some respectability. Their 7 is showing Ritchie just how to play that position.

Solly in!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm

That must be at least 3 times their tackler has got up and stolen the ball when no ruck has formed! We have also made as many passes to their players as we have our own! We were away down the wing after a kick chase and manage to pass to their guy and miss our own support runner! How many times are we sending guys carrying up to the line without having a support player or two to clear out? Its no wonder we have lost so much turnover ball. We are really missing Bressler, Nel, Dickinson and Watson at the breakdown.

Dragons aren’t have to do an awful lot to win this game, they are just standing back and waiting for us to make a mistake.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 pm

I don't see how that's a penalty to the Dragons considering what they've been up to.

Very poor for Edinburgh. Losing to the Dragons and Zebre is not good enough.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Nonsense penalty at the end which was a fitting end to an awful awful performance.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I have my doubts about some of the refereeing at the breakdown, in fact some of the refereeing, but having said that Edinburgh have been naive.

There were a lot of mistakes by Edinburgh, but I seem to be alone that I don't have a problem with a lot of what they did. A lot of mistakes were made from being too ambitious and had they come off it might have been a different story. Some were just daft it has to be admitted, but if they continue to play with the same ambition, and learn from this and reduce the mistakes, wins will come. There were a lot of young and inexperienced players out there for Edinburgh. Hopefully they learn from this and it is part of the journey with Edinburgh moving to a new style of play.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:40 pm

Weegie wrote:I have my doubts about some of the refereeing at the breakdown, in fact some of the refereeing, but having said that Edinburgh have been naive.

There were a lot of mistakes by Edinburgh, but I seem to be alone that I don't have a problem with a lot of what they did. A lot of mistakes were made from being too ambitious and had they come off it might have been a different story. Some were just daft it has to be admitted, but if they continue to play with the same ambition, and learn from this and reduce the mistakes, wins will come. There were a lot of young and inexperienced players out there for Edinburgh. Hopefully they learn from this and it is part of the journey with Edinburgh moving to a new style of play.

In some cases you can be charitable and say that Kinghorn was pretty good, McCallum played the full 80, got around the park and was going forward at the scrum even at the end. But it was just such a totally mindless and stupid performance. So many bad passes thrown to no-one, so many bad rucks and non-rucks.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Could someone please explain to me the refereeing of the breakdown today? Dragons slamming in from the side all game to clear out and it took 53 minutes for the ref to finally ping them for it (albeit deep in our half). Dragons allowed to lie all over the ruck, off their feet, when defending, and turnovers awarded every time. Finally, not allowing players on their feet to compete for the ball was bizarre. On this latter point he was SteveWalsh for both sides. Quality of refereeing seems to be getting worse and worse.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Maddening is that our last four matches quins, zebre, ulster and dragons won the two we would expect least to and lost the ones we would expect to win.

Players need to get their heads sorted we cant be this inconsistent and make any progress.

Hodge unlikely to get the job full time if this yoyo form continues.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Wottie wrote:Could someone please explain to me the refereeing of the breakdown today? Dragons slamming in from the side all game to clear out and it took 53 minutes for the ref to finally ping them for it (albeit deep in our half). Dragons allowed to lie all over the ruck, off their feet, when defending, and turnovers awarded every time. Finally, not allowing players on their feet to compete for the ball was bizarre. On this latter point he was SteveWalsh for both sides. Quality of refereeing seems to be getting worse and worse.

His first Pro12 game. Ex professional player being fast-tracked. In his second/third season of refereeing.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:54 pm

10th and well adrift of 6th
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum