Ospreys v. Edinburgh 2.12.16 @7:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ospreys v. Edinburgh 2.12.16 @7:35

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 am

Oldsalt wrote:Given Manu's comments does that mean the "non" professionals are back in charge at Edinburgh Rugby?
Have we written the league off already?
I'd actually pick Fowles ahead of Kennedy every time as to me he offers more all round in his game. Kennedy for me has not improved his game management at all over the past few years.

Psychologists are a big thing in NZ rugby, Dan Carter talks about them in his book - it's another reason they have an edge over everyone because not many other teams really bring them in. I think Manu's comments were not so much based at the players but the different rugby cultures between NZ and Scotland. It could be interesting to bring one in and see what that does.

I agree Kennedy and Tovey showed they are good for a broken up game but not so much when you need some structure and a plan B.

Also on the du Preez point; Manu, Bradbury and Mata have all been excellent and taken their chances so you can't drop them. When du Preez is given a chance he has to do the same.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby bertie bassett on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Du Preez playing in Heriots team tomorrow .
Scotland squad into Prem 1squad .
That takes some doing
bertie bassett
International

Postby germain on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:29 pm

gowrie wrote:In general I get the sense this is rotation in a game Hodge isn't bothered about losing, at least partly driven by a five day turnaround between away games. Don't expect much, hoping we can keep it close at least and aim for the LBP.

I can understand this feeling but I don't think HidalgoClyne-Weir-Rasolea are weakening the team. I can see that as a real chance for them, as the previous 9-10-12 axis failed to be good on a regular basis. Apart from that, it's mostly the same team, so it's strange if Hodge wants to rotate and rest people.
I'm still a bit frustrated not to see Rasolea-Tofilau outside of Weir in the pro12 but it might happen one day!
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm

germain wrote:
gowrie wrote:In general I get the sense this is rotation in a game Hodge isn't bothered about losing, at least partly driven by a five day turnaround between away games. Don't expect much, hoping we can keep it close at least and aim for the LBP.

I can understand this feeling but I don't think HidalgoClyne-Weir-Rasolea are weakening the team. I can see that as a real chance for them, as the previous 9-10-12 axis failed to be good on a regular basis. Apart from that, it's mostly the same team, so it's strange if Hodge wants to rotate and rest people.
I'm still a bit frustrated not to see Rasolea-Tofilau outside of Weir in the pro12 but it might happen one day!

Solly started the season with a Weir, Rasolea and Tolifau midfield vs the Blues.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
germain wrote:

Solly started the season with a Weir, Rasolea and Tolifau midfield vs the Blues.

Ah... :oops:
It doesn't matter, New coach, new chance! :D
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Tofilau looks decent in attack and can tackle, but I thought he looked to be struggling to get up to speed on the wider defensive structures, although having a centre racing up looked to be a tactic early in the season so maybe it was just another SteveWalsh tactic.

DuPreez situation is a bit odd, he was coming back from injury got a sub appearance v Zebre and then called into the Scotland squad although that was said to be to experience the environment, then nothing the last couple of weeks but I do appreciate Mata is making an impact off the bench when given the chance.

However we could do with DuPreez getting some match sharpness back before he dishes out some more of this in a few weeks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NP-vwa_1M
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:24 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Tofilau looks decent in attack and can tackle, but I thought he looked to be struggling to get up to speed on the wider defensive structures, although having a centre racing up looked to be a tactic early in the season so maybe it was just another SteveWalsh tactic.

DuPreez situation is a bit odd, he was coming back from injury got a sub appearance v Zebre and then called into the Scotland squad although that was said to be to experience the environment, then nothing the last couple of weeks but I do appreciate Mata is making an impact off the bench when given the chance.

However we could do with DuPreez getting some match sharpness back before he dishes out some more of this in a few weeks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NP-vwa_1M

I thought Tolifau looked better in defence than Rasolea early in the season, it is odd he's been dropped as Hodge seems to like the 'flair' players and Tolifau is certainly that. I'd like to see 12 Dean 13 Tolifau, I think Dean is coming onto a game and looked good at 12 vs Munster and Tolifau could be that wildcard.

I think du Preez is more talented than Manu and more polished than Mata but they've been in form and I prefer the coach to pick form players. I'd expect to see Cornell back before too long.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Good try from us of turnover ball but as we all predicted they score through a gaping hole in our midfield from 1st phase ball off the line out! We looked all at sea defensively!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 pm

doedin wrote:Good try from us of turnover ball but as we all predicted they score through a gaping hole in our midfield from 1st phase ball off the line out! We looked all at sea defensively!

It's the same play every time, the winger is just coming off the 10 - if the coaches don't make changes and keep the defensive line tighter questions have to be asked.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Good finish from Kinghorn - I think the referee was probably wrong with the collision decision, but maybe it's the Welsh commentary getting to me.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm the opposite, they're getting on my tits. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the try and their whining is absolutely ridiculous
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 pm

gowrie wrote:I'm the opposite, they're getting on my tits. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the try and their whining is absolutely ridiculous

I think that if someone had run into Hoyland and knocked him over as he was getting ready to catch a ball, I'd be looking for a penalty for Edinburgh.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:28 pm

gowrie wrote:I'm the opposite, they're getting on my tits. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the try and their whining is absolutely ridiculous

Hoyland did just run into their player, it wasn't really challenging for the ball because the ball was nowhere near, it's a weird one but if they scored from that passage of play I'd be pretty annoyed.

Our forwards are getting beasted again, we need far more from them.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Dunno would not be happy if we conceded it. Odd decisions evening themselves out perhaps. Our own worst enemy but still in it with room to improve.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:31 pm

His eyes were on the ball and they were both on the ground, find any law in the books that says knocking over another player in a fair contest under the ball is illegal and I'll accept that the try shouldn't have been awarded.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum