Ospreys v. Edinburgh 2.12.16 @7:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ospreys v. Edinburgh 2.12.16 @7:35

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:37 pm

The awful commentary makes me bitter about it, but fair play to them for the win, more power in the pack kept us out of it.

The new attacking gameplan nowhere to be seen, and the reason they could line up so many double tackles is because all we had were isolated forward runners, though at least this time we generally kept our own ruck ball. McCallum got beat up unfortunately, but it'll happen to any TH as they come through, Dell was poor though. Rasolea is in general a heavy lump who can go a metre or two through the gainline and not much else, don't think he's challenging for the first XV. Poor performance in general really but at least they stuck in it til the end, which has been as much as you can say for the side for 3 seasons now.

Glasgow miserable again as they lose 3 in a row, fun week to be a Scottish fan.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Very frustrating. Our forwards and defence have gone backwards. Our 2 captains are struggling for form which doesn't help.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:05 pm

macdone wrote:Very frustrating. Our forwards and defence have gone backwards. Our 2 captains are struggling for form which doesn't help.

I thought McInally played well today, in the loose at least.

SHC had the best game I remember him having in a long time too. Kinghorn just keeps on impressing.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:54 pm

gowrie wrote:The new attacking gameplan nowhere to be seen, and the reason they could line up so many double tackles is because all we had were isolated forward runners, though at least this time we generally kept our own ruck ball. McCallum got beat up unfortunately, but it'll happen to any TH as they come through, Dell was poor though. Rasolea is in general a heavy lump who can go a metre or two through the gainline and not much else, don't think he's challenging for the first XV. Poor performance in general really but at least they stuck in it til the end, which has been as much as you can say for the side for 3 seasons now.

McCallum impressed me in the loose and realistically is doing incredibly well considering he only just moved to tighthead.

I think we're seeing some of the gameplan, the first try was extremely well taken and we'd not have seen that under Solly. The thing with the gameplan is that we did so well on the counter attack against Ulster and Quins but we just aren't getting counter attacking ball anymore, Davies' kicking was mightily impressive today and O'Brien had a good day on Sunday. Furthermore we can't generate quick ball because our ruck clearouts are abysmal and that allows defences to line up and then drift out - we really should try more inside balls - suffocating our attack. But not only is the pack failing to clear out rucks but they also can't carry over the gain line, we were totally dominated in contact again and that's just not good enough for the players we have.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 am

Frenchy wrote:
macdone wrote:Very frustrating. Our forwards and defence have gone backwards. Our 2 captains are struggling for form which doesn't help.

SHC had the best game I remember him having in a long time too. Kinghorn just keeps on impressing.

McInally is great in the loose, but at 6´3 he has a big problem if the scrum comes under pressure. It's not possible for him to hook. We have one of our captains struggling for form and the other getting beasted in the scrum.

On the plus side, only 2 of those forwards would get in our first choice pack. I can't wait for us to get our best pack on the pitch. Even getting Berghan back would be a bonus.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:11 am

Top of my list of angry moments was whoever took the quick tap penalty in front of their posts. Needs shot.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:17 am

macdone wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

McInally is great in the loose, but at 6´3 he has a big problem if the scrum comes under pressure. It's not possible for him to hook. We have one of our captains struggling for form and the other getting beasted in the scrum.

On the plus side, only 2 of those forwards would get in our first choice pack. I can't wait for us to get our best pack on the pitch. Even getting Berghan back would be a bonus.

Which 2? Toolis, Gilchrist, Bradbury and Manu are all arguably first pick.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:13 am

Not on present form!
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:23 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

Which 2? Toolis, Gilchrist, Bradbury and Manu are all arguably first pick.

Assuming our best pack is Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Bresler, Toolis, Du Preez, Hardie or Watson, plus 1.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:56 am

It is pretty simple, what we have seen and are seeing is the initial bounce that occurs when a new coach is appointed followed by return to true form. You see it in football all the time where management sackings are far more commonplace.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby bertie bassett on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 am

macdone wrote:Du Preez is our best player, we could really do with his physicality, particularly with Hardie out.

Playing for Heriots today against Hawick.
bertie bassett
International

Postby crabbie on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 am

bertie bassett wrote:
macdone wrote:Du Preez is our best player, we could really do with his physicality, particularly with Hardie out.

Playing for Heriots today against Hawick.

Why?
Surely if he's good enough to be in Cotters squad he should be a shoo in for Edinburgh team
crabbie
International

Postby Frenchy on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 am

crabbie wrote:Surely if he's good enough to be in Cotters squad he should be a shoo in for Edinburgh team

Perhaps if Cotter was able to select Manu and Mata, du Preez wouldn't have been in the Scotland squad.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby MikeyBlair2004 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 am

I agree with all pervious comments that was a right mixed bag of a 80 minutes and it'll be a big weeks training ahead for the lads to gain the some moral ahead of stade next weekend

happy we got 3 tries yet gifted 3 tries back
tho what really annoys me is that tip tackle how its happened 2 weeks in a row and neither has been punished considering the 2 red cards I seen last week firstly in the Newcastle game and then in the Glasgow game were average
a new dawn begins lets gert our act together and improve this season
MikeyBlair2004
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 am

Never sign another Welshman again. Edinburgh paid Rees's salary for how many seasons yet you would never know it from his biased comments poor form from a so called professional.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum