Edinburgh v Stade Francais

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Stade Francais

Postby Jockybadger on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Dolph,

Further to my wee brainwave this morning, I broadly agree with your points but I reckon.....

Nel would/could potentially double his salary (maybe more) & has 3 / 4 years to augment his pension, I would be surprised if he was here next season.

Taylor would be a pretty much guaranteed starter @ Edinburgh & with Liam Williams joining Saracens next season he may struggle to do that where he is.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 pm

doedin wrote:Didn't see the match but pattern sounded vaguely familiar?

On the basis of the above perhaps trying to run the legs off them is not a bad tactic but on this occasion we let them get too far ahead or didnt have the firepower to catch them up?

I thought that we started chasing the game too early and we paid the price as it let them pull even further ahead.

Scrum wasn't really working either which doesn't help, no matter how expansively you're trying to play the game.

A LBP away from home is a respectable result with Dudley Phillips in charge, but it was still frustrating watching. The backs looked dangerous (especially Hoyland and Kinghorn) and some of the forwards were eye-catching with the ball in their hands, but we're lacking a bit of grunt at scrum time and the defensive workrate and structure aren't good enough.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Jockybadger wrote:Dolph,

Further to my wee brainwave this morning, I broadly agree with your points but I reckon.....

Nel would/could potentially double his salary (maybe more) & has 3 / 4 years to augment his pension, I would be surprised if he was here next season.

Taylor would be a pretty much guaranteed starter @ Edinburgh & with Liam Williams joining Saracens next season he may struggle to do that where he is.

Do you mean Maitland? I can't see Liam Williams taking Duncan Taylor's 13 jersey. I'd expect their back three to be Williams, Goode and Maitland next year though.

Taylor just signed a new deal at the end of last season, he was their player of the year, the fans love him and he's a likely starter when fit. Also, being so highly regarded at Sarries probably means he is on a fairly large wedge so whether we could afford him is another story. I'd also guess if Sarries wanted Nel they could have him and Taylor. It's a shame as I'm a huge fan of Taylor and having a guy like him in the backline would be magnificent.

I think it largely depends on what Glasgow do, but we should be trying really hard for Huw Jones and if he's not available check about Nick Grigg who's always played well for Glasgow where he's probably splitting time with Bennett/Jones next year but he would be guaranteed 13 and star at Edinburgh leading to more chances with Scotland.

If Jones and Bennett end up in England or France it's a different story and we're back to taking a punt on a Super Rugby player or hoping Galbraith/Taylor are ready.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Don't see any point talking about signing Taylor/Maitland. The idea that we could get regular starters from one of the wealthiest and most successful clubs in Europe is a fantasy.

Realistically the target is Jones, won't be on much for WP, and Glasgow may not be able to stretch the budget for another centre depending on who they're able to re-sign this season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Aye again broadly in tune with you boys, think it was watching Edinburgh's backs last night & thinking along the lines of Friday Night Lights .......................It's a shame as I'm a huge fan of Taylor and having a guy like him in the backline would be magnificent.

Re Taylor's place in the Saracens XV I was thinking more of having another Lions calibre back to choose from will mean more competition for places .

Maitland does seem to be playing very well for Saracens, hope he can continue that form into the 6N.

Whatever my thoughts there's a definite need for 3 or 4 quality backs @ Edinburgh
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 pm

We do need them, but we simply can't afford to buy multiple top class players in addition to keeping the ones we've already got. If we want them, we're going to have to develop them ourselves. Just the way of things now with French/English budgets getting bigger and bigger, and now at least we have proper academy structures to make it closer to a reality.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

I think it largely depends on what Glasgow do, but we should be trying really hard for Huw Jones and if he's not available check about Nick Grigg who's always played well for Glasgow where he's probably splitting time with Bennett/Jones next year but he would be guaranteed 13 and star at Edinburgh leading to more chances with Scotland.

If Jones and Bennett end up in England or France it's a different story and we're back to taking a punt on a Super Rugby player or hoping Galbraith/Taylor are ready.

There is a higher chance of neither Jones or Bennet being at Glasgow than both, that just won't happen. I don't thinkGrigg is better than The options we have currently. He looks good but is usually working with quick ballon the front foot. I think Rasolea, Burkeigh, Dean and Allan wouldtoo.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:04 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

There is a higher chance of neither Jones or Bennet being at Glasgow than both, that just won't happen. I don't thinkGrigg is better than The options we have currently. He looks good but is usually working with quick ballon the front foot. I think Rasolea, Burkeigh, Dean and Allan wouldtoo.

I agree that I doubt Bennett and Jones probably won't end up at Glasgow but you never know, it's possible Jones plays 12 with Bennett 13 and Dunbar leaves.

I disagree re Grigg. When I watched Glasgow vs Munster and Scarlets recently Glasgow were flat and there was no quick front foot ball but Grigg really excelled, I think the guy is a touch of class who could transform us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:38 am

Tbf to Grigg, he's an absolute ball of energy, his sheer pace and ability to change the point of contact at the last second makes him damn near a cert for gainline success at the very least. Levels guys in defence too. Not saying he's the key to an embra backline, but if he went east (unlikely) he'd more than do a job.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Two disappointing games. We were not very good at keeping an hand on the ball, not very creative in attack and our defense was PaulHoniss.

From what I've seen, Hidalgo-Clyne should play alongside Weir, and Tovey alongside Kennedy. Kennedy's quick service allows Tovey to shine; and the reliability of Weir allows Hidalgo-Clyne to lead the attack from the rucks.
KInghorn is tiring, I hope to see Bryce starting soon.
We're still waiting for a dangerous and quick runner at 13. Dean seems to be better at 12, but he won't play much there with Burleigh. I would like to see Bryce or Tofilau there (Allen is doing his job at 13, but I would like to see something new and maybe more surprising).
It was good to see Cornell back. He can be more influential than Manu, alongside Bradbury, Mata, Watson and Ritchie on the flanks.
The team is definitly not clicking, but I'm not yet desperate! At least, we try.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:16 am

Five points from two games in six days against one of the richer clubs in Europe. I'll take that. Huge game against the weeg.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:58 am

biffer wrote:Five points from two games in six days against one of the richer clubs in Europe. I'll take that. Huge game against the weeg.

It's not a bad result but the way we played is a bit more worrying.
And it would have been maybe easier to win in Paris than it will be to win in London, if we want to see the play-offs.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 am

Does anyone think we'd have taken 5 points under Solomons? More to the point, does anyone think that under Solomons the changes would have happened to make the second half step up in performance we saw in both games.

There is a lot still wrong with Edinburgh, but the style of play is more entertaining, they are showing flexibility, a lot of skill in flashes, and some pride and guts. Though they are a long, long way from the finished article I'd say the changes so far have been positive.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Weegie wrote:Does anyone think we'd have taken 5 points under Solomons? More to the point, does anyone think that under Solomons the changes would have happened to make the second half step up in performance we saw in both games.

There is a lot still wrong with Edinburgh, but the style of play is more entertaining, they are showing flexibility, a lot of skill in flashes, and some pride and guts. Though they are a long, long way from the finished article I'd say the changes so far have been positive.

Under Solomons I don't think the first half's would've been so awful either though.

The changes have been welcomed, watching Edinburgh is more fun than it used to be but I don't think you can say with any certainty we've improved. Our defence has gone off a cliff, I'm really not looking forward to Glasgow because Russell will have runners off him and Seymour/Dunbar/Jones coming off him at an angle which has cut our defence to pieces the last few games.

I am less excited about Hodge than I was. I think we need an experienced coach because right now we're structurally poor and that won't do us too well against the big Pro12 sides.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:00 pm

And that Brown tackle on the fidjian winger was excellent!
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum