Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Rico on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Sounds like a potentially good signing. If he could bring a decent prop with him too, that'd be even better!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Sounds like he'll be here ASAP. No chance the SRU will be allowing him to arrive after the 5 year residency rule comes into play. Speaking of residency 10s can Tovey don the thistle?

I wonder where this leaves Weir? Out of contract and second choice. Baggott presumably gone.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Sounds like he'll be here ASAP. No chance the SRU will be allowing him to arrive after the 5 year residency rule comes into play. Speaking of residency 10s can Tovey don the thistle?

I wonder where this leaves Weir? Out of contract and second choice. Baggott presumably gone.

It appears Tovey played for Wales u20s against France u20s in 2008 so that would mean he's been Shinglered.

Far as I can see van der Walt has only played 106 minutes of Super Rugby over the past 2 seasons so it would seem like it's more a case of taking a punt on a guy with some talent and potential than signing a player who is going to walk straight into the first team.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:18 pm

From a guy who follows SA rugby intently, I'm told that van der Walt is "a solid player. He’s not going to light up your game in any way but will do a job. He also plays full-back (most of his appearances in SupeRugbY I’d guess). He’s a less flash Gareth Anscombe."
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm

disco wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Sounds like he'll be here ASAP. No chance the SRU will be allowing him to arrive after the 5 year residency rule comes into play. Speaking of residency 10s can Tovey don the thistle?

It appears Tovey played for Wales u20s against France u20s in 2008 so that would mean he's been Shinglered.

Far as I can see van der Walt has only played 106 minutes of Super Rugby over the past 2 seasons so it would seem like it's more a case of taking a punt on a guy with some talent and potential than signing a player who is going to walk straight into the first team.

Thanks disco, do you know if Tovey could use the 7s loophole (heard of it but not sure what it is)?

Right, but neither is Weir anymore, Tovey 1st choice without doubt surely. Will Weir be happy second fiddle at Edinburgh?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Just for the halibut - if this guy is mostly a fullback, plus having Bryce, would there be a chance for Blair to move forward?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
disco wrote:

Thanks disco, do you know if Tovey could use the 7s loophole (heard of it but not sure what it is)?

Right, but neither is Weir anymore, Tovey 1st choice without doubt surely. Will Weir be happy second fiddle at Edinburgh?

Whether Duncy is happy or not is irrelevant. If he can't displace Tovey then he ain't going to have many offers. He is still a better player than Tivey but his form for last 18months has been poor. He needs to step it up and take the shirt back
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
disco wrote:

Quick version of the 7s loophole is that a captured player can play in an Olympic 7s qualifying event for another country that he is a national of as long as he has served a 3 year stand down period. After that he is then considered to be captured by that 2nd country for World Rugby's purposes and can then go on and play XVs for them if selected. This is what Robbie Freuan is supposed to be doing having played for the Junior All Blacks and now looking to play for Samoa.

In Tovey's case it doesn't work as Scotland don't have their own National Olympic Committee and don't enter the Olympics in a standalone team. Any previously captured player who features for Team GB remains captured by their original country.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am

Tichtheid wrote:Just for the halibut - if this guy is mostly a fullback, plus having Bryce, would there be a chance for Blair to move forward?

Or Bryce may get moved on? Is he OOC this season?

On the new guy if he does sign I wonder of its 2 years plus an option of a 3rd. Gives him rest of season to fully bed in then one year to prove himself. Also allows the SRU to use the 3rd year to lead towards (but not quite complete ) residency if he turns out to be/coached to be decent
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm

I've just watched a highlights youtube of a varsity game involving van der Walt, he has a monster boot on him.

He went for a penalty pretty much on the intersection of his own ten metre line/fifteen metre line and it just shaved the outside of the post, but it had the legs.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Just for the halibut - if this guy is mostly a fullback, plus having Bryce, would there be a chance for Blair to move forward?

Sounds a bit fishy, but I'm sure there'll be a plaice for him...
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

Martin Bell wrote:

Sounds a bit fishy, but I'm sure there'll be a plaice for him...

Ah Martin, you've caught me out, feeding me a line like that. I have a strict policy of taking up the fish pun challenge any day of the week barramundi.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

Can't quite decide whether to get involved in all this fish pun chat. Need to Mullet over!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Wottie wrote:Can't quite decide whether to get involved in all this fish pun chat. Need to Mullet over!

Me either. I'll just Perch here and watch.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:19 pm

And on to other, bass-less topics

The rumour mill has us strongly linked to Bristol centre Will Hurrell. Big unit plays 12/13, apparently a good defender, but Bristol fans think he's mostly unable to throw a decent pass.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum