Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby germain on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

AAC is OOC :D .
Adam Ashley-Cooper (33 years-old centre-winger-full-back) is out of contract and has not signed yet anywhere (serious contacts in England and Japan). I think he is worth a call.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Re. the young player issue. I know in the past it's been a perpetual complaint and everyone wants to see young Scottish players getting developed, but this season we've been putting out teams that are on average younger than I can ever remember from Embra.

I just had a quick look at the first names that sprung to mind regarding players and at what age they started getting significant game time - Brown (21), Heathcote (22), Leonard (19), Francis (22), Rambo (21), Scott (21), Gilcho (21), Dents (21), CDP (22), Watson (23), going further back Dicko was 22 and Fordy 23, but he'd already chalked up a few seasons with the Reivers by then.

Bennett at 24 said he was going to be one of older ones in the Edinburgh backline when he signed up.
I really don't think this is a problem, I get the feeling the shadow of Andries Strauss is lingering over some memories, obscuring what really happened.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am

Carmichael starting for the Force again this week v Lions.

Don't see it listed as televised
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I would think in this case the medical would be more important than usual. Might even be to make sure we can get insurance as much as anything.

The Samoa thing is interesting, it's a carrot that AP and French teams are less likely to offer.

Aye, and part of the due diligence process given his history.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Speaking of Fruean sounds like he did have a medical here but has other options and not ScottishQ:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/robbie-f ... story.html

Weird the medical wasn't a part of the terms, I wonder how often players have a medical without being far along in the signing process. I only know football medicals which seem to be help when a move has been agreed and it is the final hurdle. Wonder if rugby is different.

I think rugby is similar, sure we have seen signings subject to medicals and work visa being reported for Edinburgh and weegies
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:The Samoa thing is interesting, it's a carrot that AP and French teams are less likely to offer.

perhaps less likely to offer with good reason, from same article
"That would mean taking part in the 2018/19 World Sevens Series, which runs from December to May."

now he wouldn't be away all of those months, but a significant bit when training camps included; plus different conditioning. Then being Samoa qualified, no doubt would be off for autumn internationals as well afterwards. With his injury record to put that on top makes it makes it a far a less attractive proposition for a player his age
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 am

The article says he is tied to New Zealand, I thought the 7s loophole had been closed when Armitage was talking about playing for France via the 7s?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The article says he is tied to New Zealand, I thought the 7s loophole had been closed when Armitage was talking about playing for France via the 7s?

It's a requirement to be consistent with the Olympic Charter that eligibility rules have to be harmonised. So as long as 7s is an Olympic sport there will be this anomaly. The only difference for the Rio games was the requirement for an 18 month stand down period from playing for the country the player was previously captured by (this was due to the short timescale from when the regulations were developed to the 2016 games). It's now a standard 3 year stand down period.

I believe he would only need to appear in one Olympic Qualifying Event (or the Games themselves) assuming he meets the other criteria (3 year stand down period plus ationality of the country he plays for - usually requiring a passport).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 pm

disco wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:The article says he is tied to New Zealand, I thought the 7s loophole had been closed when Armitage was talking about playing for France via the 7s?

It's a requirement to be consistent with the Olympic Charter that eligibility rules have to be harmonised. So as long as 7s is an Olympic sport there will be this anomaly. The only difference for the Rio games was the requirement for an 18 month stand down period from playing for the country the player was previously captured by (this was due to the short timescale from when the regulations were developed to the 2016 games). It's now a standard 3 year stand down period.

I believe he would only need to appear in one Olympic Qualifying Event (or the Games themselves) assuming he meets the other criteria (3 year stand down period plus ationality of the country he plays for - usually requiring a passport).

Needs to play an event pre sevens.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Latest on Hardie's future & Robbie Freuan, according to the Daily Mail:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish ... 1946820501
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 am

Freuan update from Mark Palmer:

Edinburgh, meanwhile, are still in talks with Robbie Fruean over a possible move from Bath. The 28-year-old centre had a medical in the Scottish capital last week but the prospective deal is complicated by Bath’s keenness to hold onto him, as well as his own medical history.

The former Crusaders back underwent several rounds of heart surgery in New Zealand, first after contracting rheumatic fever and then following the diagnosis of an irregular heartbeat.

He was released from the Chiefs by incoming Glasgow coach Dave Rennie, but went on to impress for Hawke’s Bay in the Mitre 10 Cup and was summoned to the Rec last October. Todd Blackadder and Tabai Matson both worked with Fruean at Crusaders, and despite him suffering several injuries in his early months in the Premiership, he’s been offered an extension to the deal which ends in May.

Massive gamble having large chunks of budget tied up in Freuan and Bennett, one of them I understand the thinking and it's probably worth the risk. Although Dean continues to impress at 12 - I thought his passing in the last 10 minutes was sublime, some good runs and okay in defence but I do have question marks there.

Also I recorded the Western Force game and watched it this morning, Carmichael put in another busy performance. They don't lift him at the lineout though so I wonder if he can't jump. On a side note I really like the Force - key Wallabies injured, depth being tested all over the pitch, apparently facing being cut by the ARU and a team of limited players but they scrap for everything. Quality of finishing lets them down but I would like Edinburgh next year to resemble that Force team - you'll never accuse them of shirking.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:58 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote: On a side note I really like the Force - key Wallabies injured, depth being tested all over the pitch, apparently facing being cut by the ARU and a team of limited players but they scrap for everything. Quality of finishing lets them down but I would like Edinburgh next year to resemble that Force team - you'll never accuse them of shirking.

amazing what the threat of losing your job can do for a player. Edinburgh would do well to remind players that their jobs are on the line - all of them, not just the fringe players - instead of awarding 3 year contracts.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Also I recorded the Western Force game and watched it this morning, Carmichael put in another busy performance. They don't lift him at the lineout though so I wonder if he can't jump.

very solid game. don't get the non lifting unless they think he isn't familiar enough with the codes. If he is playing with a niggle that doesn't allow him to jump he should not be playing at all
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:10 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote: On a side note I really like the Force - key Wallabies injured, depth being tested all over the pitch, apparently facing being cut by the ARU and a team of limited players but they scrap for everything. Quality of finishing lets them down but I would like Edinburgh next year to resemble that Force team - you'll never accuse them of shirking.

amazing what the threat of losing your job can do for a player. Edinburgh would do well to remind players that their jobs are on the line - all of them, not just the fringe players - instead of awarding 3 year contracts.

I don't think that is the reason though, I think it's good coaching and a team that want to prove everyone wrong. The force play as a team rather than 23 guys scraping for a contract.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Fruean looked very good as an impressive Bath beat Gloucester 44-20. The 20 for Glos was flattering.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum