Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 pm

jodo wrote:
royc wrote:Edinburgh meantime has managed 3 internal appointments - two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8. It can't be having a new coach that's holding things up, can it, as Glasgow have a new coach arriving too and it doesn't seem to be slowing their recruitment down?

Although I do agree that the SRU do seem to have been concentrating on Glasgow, it's unfair to say that our signings have been limited to 'two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8'.

Do the new deals for Watson, Brown ,Fowles, Sutherland, Kinghorn and Bradbury not count?

Rennie has been working with Townsend since the summer on Glasgow contracts whereas in that time nobody has had a clue what's going on here.

Anyway, the best way to improve a team isn't signings, it's developing the players you already have on the training pitch.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Darcy Graham is looking good for the U20s, very dangerous runner
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Edinburgh meantime has managed 3 internal appointments - two academy promotions and a transfer along the M8. It can't be having a new coach that's holding things up, can it, as Glasgow have a new coach arriving too and it doesn't seem to be slowing their recruitment down?

While I agree more ER signing news would be good, what is also is not happening (yet) is announcements of our out of contract players going elsewhere eg Hardie, could of course be waiting for the 6N to finish for any capped movers announcements.

To be fair Glasgow had a much bigger job to do to add to and maintian their squad, similar to we did last season with a large number OOC.

They also have has a coach in place. We will also have players signed which havent been announced.

Just to add, Im disapointed with Cosgrove moving but fully understand why. Personally if I had the choice I would let Dell go. The question of whether he would be ahead of the others on form, well obviously yes he should but assuming Sutherland and Dicko come back to near their best then he is going to have to play out of his skin to get anywhere near them next season. I am hoping that him leaving suggests there are not serious doubts about Dicko coming back.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 am

This is, at the moment, our squad for next year. We already have the core of it with 32 players: 18 forwards and 14 backs. I expect around ten more signings and it will be it.
At least one TH prop (Nel and Berghan?), one second-row, one back-row...

Dickinson; Sutherland; Dell;
Ford; McInally; Cochrane; Turner;
Bryce; McCallum
Toolis; McKenzie; Carmichael;
Bradbury; Du Preez; Watson; Ritchie; Mata; Fihaki;

Fowles; Hidalgo-Clyne;
Weir; Tovey;

Burleigh; Dean; Bryce; Bennett; Rasolea;
Hoyland; Brown; Scholes;
Kinghorn; Graham;

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Anyway, the best way to improve a team isn't signings, it's developing the players you already have on the training pitch.

That's for sure. We are all waiting for Cockerill's work. And Cockerill's staff if something is off with Hodge, Wilkins or Scott...
Last edited by germain on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:10 am

germain wrote:This is, at the moment, our squad for next year. We already have the core of it with 31 players: 17 forwards and 14 backs.

There are 32 signed up, not 31, you are missing Kevin Bryce and Fihaki. You are also including Nel, but his staying is not confirmed yet, it is still a rumour.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

royc wrote:
germain wrote:This is, at the moment, our squad for next year. We already have the core of it with 31 players: 17 forwards and 14 backs.

There are 32 signed up, not 31, you are missing Kevin Bryce and Fihaki. You are also including Nel, but his staying is not confirmed yet, it is still a rumour.

Thank you. It's edited in the initial post.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 am

Sunday Times reporting we've seen off interest from Gloucester to keep Gilchrist...

Hopefully Cockerill can get the best from him if that is the case, needs to cut out the ridiculous penalties and wear a sensible colour scrum hat.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Incoming SH back 3 player apparently, no more detail unfortunately.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 am

Don't need a back three player we have enough young talent to bring through. We need a 10 and 12 in the backs. :roll:
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 am

Oldsalt wrote:Don't need a back three player we have enough young talent to bring through. We need a 10 and 12 in the backs. :roll:

Don't have much cover at full back. Kinghorn, then Bryce who has been frankly rubbish, and that's about it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Sunday Times reporting we've seen off interest from Gloucester to keep Gilchrist...

Hopefully Cockerill can get the best from him if that is the case, needs to cut out the ridiculous penalties and wear a sensible colour scrum hat.

Interesting. Shows how much the market for him has fallen off. Top tier French clubs to Gloucs wanting to sign him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

biffer wrote:Don't have much cover at full back.

Graham. Or maybe soon it will be who is cover for Graham
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Sunday Times reporting we've seen off interest from Gloucester to keep Gilchrist...

Interesting. Shows how much the market for him has fallen off. Top tier French clubs to Gloucs wanting to sign him.

There was one stupid lineout penalty on Saturday, but other than that I thought he looked much more like his old self.
He's still only 26, I'd like to see what he brings during a good injury-free run, and I'd much rather he was fit and firing for Edinburgh than anyone else, at his best he is a hell of a player.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 am

Oldsalt wrote:Don't need a back three player we have enough young talent to bring through. We need a 10 and 12 in the backs. :roll:

There's a 10/12 playing for the Blues who's going well by all accounts, and could be worth a look ... :P
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

There was one stupid lineout penalty on Saturday, but other than that I thought he looked much more like his old self.
He's still only 26, I'd like to see what he brings during a good injury-free run, and I'd much rather he was fit and firing for Edinburgh than anyone else, at his best he is a hell of a player.

need to point out he gave away 4 pens sat
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum