Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby joe soap on Mon May 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Nel looked to me to be blowing badly after a few minutes, he is someone who has always benefited from playing a lot of rugby, so his fitness will improve as we go on. I rate that young Tigers loosehead Genge, but he is no match for a fully fit WP in a proper game.

Fruean looked great, just what we need, a hugely destructive ball carrier and tackler in the midfield - all digits crossed.

I'd go with all of that. Babaas scrum struggled badly all game, whoever was on. Nel looked like a player who hadn't scrummed or played for many months. Hardly a surprise I guess.

Fruen is a bug lump who could do a lot of damage in the pro12
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Nel looked to me to be blowing badly after a few minutes, he is someone who has always benefited from playing a lot of rugby, so his fitness will improve as we go on. I rate that young Tigers loosehead Genge, but he is no match for a fully fit WP in a proper game.

Fruean looked great, just what we need, a hugely destructive ball carrier and tackler in the midfield - all digits crossed.

I'd go with all of that. Babaas scrum struggled badly all game, whoever was on. Nel looked like a player who hadn't scrummed or played for many months. Hardly a surprise I guess.

Fruen is a bug lump who could do a lot of damage in the pro12

Fruean could do damage in any league provided he is fit, three games in a year - oh dear!

Are the Barbarians playing Ulster? Would've liked a Scotland Barbarians game at Murrayfield, give Toonie another game with the squad would do no harm - nice edge with Cotter there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon May 29, 2017 11:12 pm

They play Ulster on Thursday evening at the Kingspan. Chance for one more for Pienaar?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Signed Jason Harries from London Scottish on one year deal - winger
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby pjduncan on Tue May 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Wottie wrote:
pjduncan wrote:Good to hear! Fingers crossed.

How did Nel get on?

Didn't actually notice when he came on but assume it was around 50-55 mins. You know what its like in a Babas game, not really about the front row. He had a couple of carries and it was difficult to see what his scrummaging was like as the scrum was a complete mess the whole game. Others are better placed than me to comment but Babas were repeatedly pinged for not driving straight and hinging when it looked to me like the English props just kept dropping to their knees. The important thing is he walked off at the final whistle however. Hopefully he will get another run against Ulster on Thursday so we can get a better look before the Scots fly out to Singapore.

Cheers Wottie. Great that he's getting some game time ahead of the tour.
pjduncan
One cap wonder

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 30, 2017 4:56 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Signed Jason Harries from London Scottish on one year deal - winger

Not a bad signing, seems to score tries and is a big lad with a bit of pace.

it would appear Cockers is adding a lot more power to our backline, VDM and Fruen (hopefully) are different form our current options. Hopefully all part of making the team more rugged all around. We haven't had the option to smash teams for the past few years in the backs, we have tried it with nippy players. Bigger holes for the likes of Hoyland and Graham to exploit too, hopefully they get opportunities.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue May 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Hmmm, I'm a bit sceptical about this, and I didn't really think we needed another winger for the squad, especially not an NSQ one. Would have thought if we were getting anyone from Scottish then it'd be Fergusson, but we'll see. Unless he's another in the line of wingers we sign then never bother playing in which case we won't.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Tue May 30, 2017 6:19 pm

Interesting one, Harries has an excellent scoring record & can play centre too, although NSQ looks to be a good signing (perhaps a back up for Fruens proposed 7's commitments/Bennets injury)

With Van Der Medwe, Fruen (maybe) & Harries there is a more physical look to physical look to the Edinburgh backs.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 pm

gowrie wrote:Hmmm, I'm a bit sceptical about this, and I didn't really think we needed another winger for the squad, especially not an NSQ one. Would have thought if we were getting anyone from Scottish then it'd be Fergusson, but we'll see. Unless he's another in the line of wingers we sign then never bother playing in which case we won't.

As a stand alone yes I could agree, however it was one of our weaker areas last year and we have lost Allen, Helu and Northam, so always likely to bolster there. Also losing Helu and Allen who can play centre, this guy may fill that gap as a utility outside back. He looks decent though and we do have a very inexperienced backline now so I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, a 1 in 2 ratio in the championship is no mean feat, particularly in a LS team which was thrown together at the last minute.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 pm

A one year deal, doubt he'll be on much and certainly won't have any self entitlement after kicking around the Championship. These are the type of players I'd hope we'd sign.

If some don't smarten up their act this guy will get a lot of playing time I reckon. Bar Hoyland - who had a tough season, didn't get any service granted but didn't come looking for the ball too much - we don't have many proven quality wingers.

Edit - also looks like at least one more year for Farndale away from 15s unless an English/French team nabs him.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Harries is big, fast ( played 7s for Wales ) and a good finisher. Not so sure about his defence at PRO12 level. I've only seen him play wing for Scottish. But in an overall poor season for LS, he still made the Championship best 15.

Could be a bargain squad player.

Edit - and of course Roddy Grant will know all about him.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 am

Good addition to the squad, certainly a better quality, more experienced, more proven signing than we have made in past seasons to fill similar squad positions.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed May 31, 2017 10:02 am

I think we are now waiting for one more addition in the backs and it will be fine.
Departing players have been removed from the official website's list, but Bresler is still in. So there will be an announcement for him and also probably for a loosehead prop.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Could Bresler have been on a similar deal to Nel, where it was initially announced that his contract was three years, but it turned out to have an option for a fourth year. I don't think the club ever announced they'd re-signed Nel for that fourth year.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

Frenchy wrote:Could Bresler have been on a similar deal to Nel, where it was initially announced that his contract was three years, but it turned out to have an option for a fourth year. I don't think the club ever announced they'd re-signed Nel for that fourth year.

Possible I suppose but I think it's just more likely that the club are keeping his contract news back (hopefully along with Fruean) for the launch of the Season Tickets and announcement on where we will be playing next season. With Bresler and Fruean added the squad is 45 strong so I can't see us adding any more to that. There are a lot of young guys in there but 45 is a nevertheless a big squad for our budget, particularly when we are still operating at the modest end of the supply network for the national side.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum