Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby BigD163 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 am

I am hopeful that a young core group of leaders will come through over time as it has been lacking a little lately.

I was thinking about it last night and a lot may depend on how the 2nd row/back row battles shake out over the coming seasons.

Can Ritchie establish himself with the likes of CdP, Bradbury, Miller, Crosbie, Hardie, Carmichael etc all around and able to slot in at 6.

Then in the second row there is Toolis, Gilchrist and CHH who can all be short or longer term captaincy options but they all have competition for places with the likes of Bresler, Carmichael and MacKenzie. Carmichael seemed to be pretty solid in Super Touch for the Force, hopefully he pushes on and challenges for the 1st team.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:41 pm

The 'young captain' chat basically just rules out Fordy and Cochrane as far as I can see.

Long term there are many options but surely it's going to be someone who's seen as a regular starter from the beginning of the season onwards. So either a consistently outstanding performer (Toolis or Watson) or there will have to be a bit of selectorial gambling and commitment towards someone like SHC or one of the young backrows.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Richie can also play 7 pretty well and with watson and hardie likely to be away with Scotland he may switch sides which may go in his favour.

However if we are going to be competitive throughout the season we need to be able to rotate players in and out without dropping quality anyway, the forwards and backrow in particular one of the areas we are better equipped to do this, we saw last season the same team get flogged almost all season and the likes of Toolis looked wrecked by the end if we can allow players to come in and out keep standards up we will be in a much better position with perhaps better performances regularly as players look to get into the team rather than keeping with the same 20-25 players every week. Again this means needing a few leaders in the squad, a captain and couple of vice captains maybe, to lead when required.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:08 am

Magnus Bradbury was captain tonight.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIOIDByXkAERyzT.jpg

Interesting interview with Grant.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 am

Mark Palmer tweeted that Bradbury will be captain, not printed though as they apparently found out after the deadline.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 am

gowrie wrote:Mark Palmer tweeted that Bradbury will be captain, not printed though as they apparently found out after the deadline.

Can't remember Mark Palmer getting anything wrong, so looks like Bradbury.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the article.
Bradbury's choice is obviously a surprising call. One I really did not expect. Interesting.

Edit: from the scotsman, and from Toolis, the man who played almost each game of last year:
Whatever happens, Toolis will be a key figure in Cockerill’s plans but can the big lock pinpoint exactly what the new management must do to avoid the mistakes of the ancienne regime? “Using every player in the squad is key,” he replies. “Sometimes you have players playing week in week out, which some players can do, and while you want to play your best players it’s important to give other players opportunities to improve, and allow players rest as well."
Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4543074
That said, Cockers played almost the same 8 for the two friendlies :twisted:.

I really think the only thing we're lacking is a decent attack coach, but no matter how you look at it, getting ahead of Scarlets, Ulster or Leinster is going to be very tough.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Bradbury confirmed as captain, which is excellent news.

Michele Rizzo also joining us on a short term deal. Cover for Marfo maybe (think he took a knock to the head against Newcastle)?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Rico wrote:Bradbury confirmed as captain, which is excellent news.

Michele Rizzo also joining us on a short term deal. Cover for Marfo maybe (think he took a knock to the head against Newcastle)?

Comfortable with both of those. A real signal of intent and a drive to a new future for the club by appointing one of the younger guys as captain. Rizzo is a decent player as well, good squad cover for the short term.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I saw someone elsewhere mention Rizzo last week, perhaps it is a sign that Grant hasn't really done enough or Dell out a few more weeks? Good pick up at this stage of the preseason for what will be needed.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm

BigD163 wrote:

I saw someone elsewhere mention Rizzo last week, perhaps it is a sign that Grant hasn't really done enough or Dell out a few more weeks? Good pick up at this stage of the preseason for what will be needed.

Cockers apparently has said to Rob Robertson that Grant has not done enough for a deal. Presume he's here to back up Marfo for the 6 weeks we are waiting for Dell & Sutherland to return.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Cockers apparently has said to Rob Robertson that Grant has not done enough for a deal. Presume he's here to back up Marfo for the 6 weeks we are waiting for Dell & Sutherland to return.

Saw that tweet. Think he may have added "yet" which together is a polite public way of saying "he's not getting one". Not our problem as a club but Grant is really running short on options if he had to come here on trial and then isn't kept on.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Interesting quote from Cockerill

[quote]Part of this is about developing leadership around a young man who has committed to the club, and building for the future.

“There will be other leaders alongside him – nines, 10s, 12s and lineout callers – but Magnus leads the team on to the field.

“The senior group all agreed that this was a good choice, that Magnus will be a good leader, and that it’s the best thing for the club moving forward.

“I thought Magnus was the right person within the group and the group’s dynamic./quote]

highlighting 9s, 10s, 12s and lineout callers as leaders in the team. So SHC, Weir, Freauan and Toolis are the obvious people being referred to. Also an interesting bit of info on where he sees the game being run from.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Think Chris Dean has experience as captain in the age-grade sides as well, it's also fairly similar to what Eddie Jones said when he talked about a leadership 'spine' running through 2, 8, 9, 10, 15 in a team.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum