Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 pm

GaryIPA wrote:What are Glasgow doing to get players like Grigg & Johnson and we've ended up with the SteveWalsh we have?

Matt Taylor knew Johnson who was playing for the Reds and Nick Grigg apparently sent Gregor Townsend an email of his highlights for Petone who are somewhere below the Mitre10 and got offered an academy deal. Both were then coached up by Townsend and Blair to where they are, both would probably be pretty poor here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:58 am

germain wrote:Dickinson, Sutherland, Dell, ??;
Ford, McInally, Cochrane, Turner;
Nel, McCallum, Bryce, ??;
McKenzie, Gilchrist, Toolis, Carmichael;
Mata, Fihaki, Miller, Bradbury, Du Preez, Watson, Ritchie;
Hidalgo-Clyne, Fowles, ??;
Weir, Tovey; ??
Dean, Burleigh, Rasolea, Bennett, ??;
Brown, Hoyland, Scholes, Graham;
Kinghorn, Bryce;

I wonder whether we'd be better switching Kevin Bryce back to hooker and McInally back to back row. That could leave us with the following (if those in red are signed up)...

1: Dickinson, Sutherland, Dell, EDP.
2: Ford, K.Bryce, Cochrane, Turner.
3: Nel, Berghan, McCallum, EDP.
4: Toolis, McKenzie, Carmichael.
5: Gilchrist, Bresler, Hunter Hill.
6: Du Preez, Ritchie, Mata.
7: Watson, Hardie, EDP.
8: Bradbury, McInally, Miller.

9: SHC, Fowles, Kennedy, Fraser,
10. Weir, Kinghorn, Tovey, EDP.

11. Scholes, Allen/ANOther, EDP.
12. Dean, Burleigh, Galbraith/ANOther.
13. Bennett, Rasolea, Tofilau/ANOther, EDP.
14. Hoyland, Brown, EDP.
15. Graham, G.Bryce.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 am

doedin wrote:Coman was just ok - he did everything ok but wasn’t a stand out at anything. .

not a stand out - here we go. No huge carries, no huge tackles = anonymous and average to poor. I'll tell you what he did - all the graft that the prima donnas don't do. All the unseen stuff, the first to the breakdown and clear, the first to the breakdown and slow opposition ball, the niggly nuisance all over the park, the streetwise stuff that folk like you crave. And a proper leader on the park to boot.
Guys like Coman may never be the best ever ever in their position, but guys like Coman give you real application and graft, take nothing for granted and lead by example as well as by mouth

All the stuff Edinburgh lack in a nutshell
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 am

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:Coman was just ok - he did everything ok but wasn’t a stand out at anything. .

not a stand out - here we go. No huge carries, no huge tackles = anonymous and average to poor. I'll tell you what he did - all the graft that the prima donnas don't do. All the unseen stuff, the first to the breakdown and clear, the first to the breakdown and slow opposition ball, the niggly nuisance all over the park, the streetwise stuff that folk like you crave. And a proper leader on the park to boot.
Guys like Coman may never be the best ever ever in their position, but guys like Coman give you real application and graft, take nothing for granted and lead by example as well as by mouth

This
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:
joe soap wrote:

This

If you read my post properly you will see that I acknowledged he was a grafter and ‘knocked his pan in most games’. I didnt make any reference to huge carries nor huge tackles - I suspect you are now making things up to suit your argument? However I think we need to agree to disagree about how effective he was overall. For me he was an ok player, a good pro but was limited in his overall game. I suggested he lacked pace around the park and that his skill set, particularly with ball in hand was limited, I would be surprised for you to disagree with either of these. For Embra to progress we need players who have more to their game than being able to do the basics well, the likes of Coman were good enough for us to maintain 8th, 9th or 10th in the league but they will not take us into the Top 6. Which top team picked him up when he left us?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 pm

doedin wrote:If you read my post properly you will see that I acknowledged he was a grafter and ‘knocked his pan in most games’. I didnt make any reference to huge carries nor huge tackles - I suspect you are now making things up to suit your argument? However I think we need to agree to disagree about how effective he was overall. For me he was an ok player, a good pro but was limited in his overall game. I suggested he lacked pace around the park and that his skill set, particularly with ball in hand was limited, I would be surprised for you to disagree with either of these. For Embra to progress we need players who have more to their game than being able to do the basics well, the likes of Coman were good enough for us to maintain 8th, 9th or 10th in the league but they will not take us into the Top 6. Which top team picked him up when he left us?

Your assessment of Coman is based IMHO on how you see back row players. Coman may not have been a world beater, but I'll wager that if every Edinburgh player had been even close to as good at their job as he was at his, Edinburgh would not have languished at 8th or 9th or lower.
Knew his job, did it, low error rate, high nuisance value, streetwise, a leader and role model in his professionalism. As I said all the stuff Edinburgh lack in a nutshell.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm

I'd have Coman ahead of Fihaki any day of the week, and his injury record was far better than Manu's.

Whilst he wasn't a world beater he was a good honest pro who played to his strengths and was a decent leader, something that we lack.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 pm

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:If you read my post properly you will see that I acknowledged he was a grafter and ‘knocked his pan in most games’. I didnt make any reference to huge carries nor huge tackles - I suspect you are now making things up to suit your argument? However I think we need to agree to disagree about how effective he was overall. For me he was an ok player, a good pro but was limited in his overall game. I suggested he lacked pace around the park and that his skill set, particularly with ball in hand was limited, I would be surprised for you to disagree with either of these. For Embra to progress we need players who have more to their game than being able to do the basics well, the likes of Coman were good enough for us to maintain 8th, 9th or 10th in the league but they will not take us into the Top 6. Which top team picked him up when he left us?

Your assessment of Coman is based IMHO on how you see back row players. Coman may not have been a world beater, but I'll wager that if every Edinburgh player had been even close to as good at their job as he was at his, Edinburgh would not have languished at 8th or 9th or lower.
Knew his job, did it, low error rate, high nuisance value, streetwise, a leader and role model in his professionalism. As I said all the stuff Edinburgh lack in a nutshell.

Not quite an apology but I will accept it. I think there is a bit of revisionism going on here. Of course everyone has their own ideas of what a back row player should be able to do, thats what makes for opinion and debate and I gave you my opinion. Not asking you to agree with it or even like it but would ask you not to misquote me or to make things up that I didnt say. I think we agree that he was an honest but limited pro who tried his hardest. I also think we agree he was not a world beater.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:16 pm

doedin wrote:Not quite an apology but I will accept it. I think there is a bit of revisionism going on here. Of course everyone has their own ideas of what a back row player should be able to do, thats what makes for opinion and debate and I gave you my opinion. Not asking you to agree with it or even like it but would ask you not to misquote me or to make things up that I didnt say. I think we agree that he was an honest but limited pro who tried his hardest. I also think we agree he was not a world beater.

not even close to an apology. Not a chance I'd apologise for pointing out that you a haven't a clue what is valuable in a player and what is fancy dan stuff.
Coman is another you had your mind made up about before you saw him and aren't big enough to admit you were wrong about
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 am

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:Not quite an apology but I will accept it. I think there is a bit of revisionism going on here. Of course everyone has their own ideas of what a back row player should be able to do, thats what makes for opinion and debate and I gave you my opinion. Not asking you to agree with it or even like it but would ask you not to misquote me or to make things up that I didnt say. I think we agree that he was an honest but limited pro who tried his hardest. I also think we agree he was not a world beater.

not even close to an apology. Not a chance I'd apologise for pointing out that you a haven't a clue what is valuable in a player and what is fancy dan stuff.
Coman is another you had your mind made up about before you saw him and aren't big enough to admit you were wrong about

I'm sure you know by now that arguing with Doedin is a pointless task.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 am

joe soap wrote:

The scary thing is that we are pretty close to saying exactly the same thing about Coman! Unfortunately your insistence on putting words into my mouth and trying to justify your own position is getting in the way of you recognising this. Please point out where I made reference to ‘fancy dan stuff’ or indeed describe what I thought was valuable in a back row player. I will repeat, mainly to make it easy for you, that I thought Coman was a hard working but limited back row forward and wasn’t the type of player who was going to take us into a top 6 place. I think this is a fair assessment of the player and I dont think I am all that wrong. Lets just agree to disagree?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am

It's times like these that remind me why I have doedin's posts blocked.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:05 pm

biffer wrote:It's times like these that remind me why I have doedin's posts blocked.

Lol
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:39 pm

doedin wrote:The scary thing is that we are pretty close to saying exactly the same thing about Coman! Unfortunately your insistence on putting words into my mouth and trying to justify your own position is getting in the way of you recognising this. Please point out where I made reference to ‘fancy dan stuff’ or indeed describe what I thought was valuable in a back row player. I will repeat, mainly to make it easy for you, that I thought Coman was a hard working but limited back row forward and wasn’t the type of player who was going to take us into a top 6 place. I think this is a fair assessment of the player and I dont think I am all that wrong. Lets just agree to disagree?

try to spin it all you like, but we are nowhere near saying the same thing. If you genuinely think that then your judgement and comprehension is even more in question.
Coman was EXACTLY the type of player to get us into the top 6. Easily good enough technically for pro12 and available during international windows, but so much more in terms of nous, streetwise low error not settling for less than 100% and showing proper leadership.
The kind of player you CAN build a team around.

Agreeing to disagree is easy - the easiest thing in the word when its your set in stone before they arrive opinions
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:21 pm

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:The scary thing is that we are pretty close to saying exactly the same thing about Coman! Unfortunately your insistence on putting words into my mouth and trying to justify your own position is getting in the way of you recognising this. Please point out where I made reference to ‘fancy dan stuff’ or indeed describe what I thought was valuable in a back row player. I will repeat, mainly to make it easy for you, that I thought Coman was a hard working but limited back row forward and wasn’t the type of player who was going to take us into a top 6 place. I think this is a fair assessment of the player and I dont think I am all that wrong. Lets just agree to disagree?

try to spin it all you like, but we are nowhere near saying the same thing. If you genuinely think that then your judgement and comprehension is even more in question.
Coman was EXACTLY the type of player to get us into the top 6. Easily good enough technically for pro12 and available during international windows, but so much more in terms of nous, streetwise low error not settling for less than 100% and showing proper leadership.
The kind of player you CAN build a team around.

OK I think we are done here! We both agree he was a hard working pro however you think he was top 6 quality and I don't. You're welcome to your opinion and I to mine.
Agreeing to disagree is easy - the easiest thing in the word when its your set in stone before they arrive opinions

OK I think we are done here! We both agree he was a hard working pro however you think he was top 6 quality and I don't. You're welcome to your opinion and I to mine.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum