Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:
doedin wrote:Excellent news!

Doedin in unambiguously happy post Shocker!

I'm liking 2017 already!

:)

I don't know how you can possibly spin Watson resigning as negative from an Edinburgh's fan point of view!

he thinks Watson has resigned. We know he has re-signed :D
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:
Doedin in unambiguously happy post Shocker!

I'm liking 2017 already!

:)

I don't know how you can possibly spin Watson resigning as negative from an Edinburgh's fan point of view!

he thinks Watson has resigned. We know he has re-signed :D

Hahah woops, grammar ay - the difference between saying the best bit of contract news we'll hear or the worst!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 am

Getting Kinghorn, Bradbury and Watson signed up was vitally important. Great news that all 3 have been secured.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:45 am

Latest on WP according to Rob Robertson in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... rance.html

Apparently £400k ps on offer from France, thought to be Toulon and Clermont Auvergne. RR speculates that Nel may be reluctant to move his young family abroad.

Ultimately what we have to offer is:

- Sensible player management
- A country he seems to enjoy living in, where his kids were born and he's put down roots
- Less time away from the family for Scotland commitments
- Familiarity, colleagues he knows well etc

I know Nel talked about how much he enjoyed life in Scotland, and contrasted the security / safety situation with that in South Africa.

We can't compete on price, it's a big decision for him at his age but I don't think all hope is lost.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

I had a feeling Nel's long break had a lot to do with showing him how well we looked after our players, it does sound quite promising that he might stay on.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Adam Hastings close to signing for Glasgow, according to Mark Palmer in the Sunday Times. On one hand it's a shame that a for,ER Watsonian won't be coming to Myreside, on the other probably a good move to get him up to Scotland. Russell, Horne & Hastings all at one club seems a little lop-sided again, maybe it's a pre-cursor to the big announcement of Huw Jones to Edinburgh? :P
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Or 'Edinburgh-Bound Huw Jones', to use his full moniker.

I really hope that Rob Robertson's story has some truth in it. It does seem consistent with some of the chat in recent months, but who knows?
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Given Hogg's reportedly on £375k, surely we can be looking at a roughly similar figure for Nel? If we can give him 80%+ of what he'd be getting elsewhere, in addition to the points above, we're in with a good chance of keeping him surely.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:44 pm

I think there was a combination of some sponsor money and cash brought in by Nakarawa leaving which helped to smooth things for Hogg, so it is not from the normal player budget. I would think there will be room being freed up if the Likes of Hardie and Gilchrist move on but no idea how much it is.

Not easy when we are likely to have a new coach coming in, dont want him to come in and then tell him there is no money left. Still a few quid required to sort out our issues in the centre and possibly scrum half.

Sutherland and Dickinson will keep a bit of keeping too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think there was a combination of some sponsor money and cash brought in by Nakarawa leaving which helped to smooth things for Hogg, so it is not from the normal player budget. I would think there will be room being freed up if the Likes of Hardie and Gilchrist move on but no idea how much it is.

Not easy when we are likely to have a new coach coming in, dont want him to come in and then tell him there is no money left. Still a few quid required to sort out our issues in the centre and possibly scrum half.

Sutherland and Dickinson will keep a bit of keeping too.

Hogg will also have endorsements to supplement his wage as he's one of the most exciting rugby players going whereas only the purists get excited about Nel. It makes sense for the SRU to pony up and help keep a world class tighthead in Scotland where he can be managed for a few years rather than sending him to the meatgrinder in France.

I think we can offer him a really good deal, especially if we don't try and resign someone like Manu who will be on a fair wedge.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 pm

New Gunner wrote:Adam Hastings close to signing for Glasgow, according to Mark Palmer in the Sunday Times. On one hand it's a shame that a for,ER Watsonian won't be coming to Myreside, on the other probably a good move to get him up to Scotland. Russell, Horne & Hastings all at one club seems a little lop-sided again, maybe it's a pre-cursor to the big announcement of Huw Jones to Edinburgh? :P

Or are Bath letting him come as part of the deal for Russell going to Bath?

Of course not but that's not how rumours start :)
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:14 pm

AFAIK, Hastings is in the Bath Academy, he doesn't have a pro contract. Only a limited number of academy boys make the step up to a pro contract in the AP so he may well be free next season. It would have been better if Edinburgh had been able to jump in first to get him, he could be a real asset, but I think recruitment decisions are made primarily by SJ at Murrayfield, if in 'consultation' with the head coaches.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 pm

royc wrote:AFAIK, Hastings is in the Bath Academy, he doesn't have a pro contract. Only a limited number of academy boys make the step up to a pro contract in the AP so he may well be free next season. It would have been better if Edinburgh had been able to jump in first to get him, he could be a real asset, but I think recruitment decisions are made primarily by SJ at Murrayfield, if in 'consultation' with the head coaches.

Russell is almost certain to leave when his contract is up for stupid money so Glasgow getting a 10 who's quite similar and extremely promising to grow in the system for a year and playing the games Russell is away/rested for before taking over in 2018 is good business all round.

We don't have that need right now so I can't be too upset, I'm intrigued if we have anything in Jason Baggott also.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:07 pm

I agree, I think our need is in other areas at the moment and we also have a fight holding onto what we have.

Hope Hastings is the real deal though, he has been getting the odd game.

No idea on Baggot but we really could do with another batch of Bradbury/Hoyland quality youngsters coming through. Recruiting whole squads just doesnt work, we need to be in a place where we augment what we have not just try to import it all the time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Recruiting whole squads just doesnt work, we need to be in a place where we augment what we have not just try to import it all the time.

We've had players come through each of the last three or four years, to me the academy is working well and hopefully it'll continue to do so. Guys like Ally Miller, George Taylor, Ben Robbins, Murray McCallum will all break through in the next year or two hopefully.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum