Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby joe soap on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am

BigD163 wrote:Assuming it is the squad for the 1st two games.

its the squad for the tournament. Under the rules only limited changes can be made to the squad at pool stage then knock out rounds
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 am

Mark Bennett in rehab, pretty sure it was his right knee that was stuffed ('scuse the medical terminology), if so he is looking strong

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZv_mFGHLsB/
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am

Tichtheid wrote:Mark Bennett in rehab, pretty sure it was his right knee that was stuffed ('scuse the medical terminology), if so he is looking strong

Really encouraging to see. IIRC he has been back running for a while and looks like he is not being a million miles away from getting to a point he can start close to full training.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:58 am

Tichtheid wrote:Mark Bennett in rehab, pretty sure it was his right knee that was stuffed ('scuse the medical terminology), if so he is looking strong

He's more agile on one leg than I am on two.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby 02ict328 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for that Tichtheid. Very excited to see him in Edinburgh colours. With Fruean, Dean, Burleigh, Rasolea and Johnstone, looks like we could have some serious competition going on for those centre berths!
02ict328
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Mark Bennett
Following knee surgery, the 24-year-old is scheduled to return to full training in early December and is predicted to make a return to competitive rugby in mid-to-late December.

Duhan van der Merwe
The South African born winger has reacted well to hip surgery and is on course to make a return to competitive rugby in early November.

Darcy Graham
The 20-year-old winger has made great progress in his rehabilitation from a knee injury and is scheduled to return to training in mid-November.

Sean Kennedy
The 26-year-old scrum-half is scheduled to make a return to full training in mid-November following ankle surgery.

Rory Sutherland
The loose-head prop is on target to return to full training by late October following groin surgery.

Bad news there is no mention of Dicko who I still think we may not see again in an Edinburgh shirt.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Mark Bennett
Following knee surgery, the 24-year-old is scheduled to return to full training in early December and is predicted to make a return to competitive rugby in mid-to-late December.

Duhan van der Merwe
The South African born winger has reacted well to hip surgery and is on course to make a return to competitive rugby in early November.

Darcy Graham
The 20-year-old winger has made great progress in his rehabilitation from a knee injury and is scheduled to return to training in mid-November.

Sean Kennedy
The 26-year-old scrum-half is scheduled to make a return to full training in mid-November following ankle surgery.

Rory Sutherland
The loose-head prop is on target to return to full training by late October following groin surgery.

Bad news there is no mention of Dicko who I still think we may not see again in an Edinburgh shirt.

Really looking forward to Bennett and Van der Merwe showing us what they can do. Good news that Sutherland on his way back - suspect he and Dell could both be drafted into the AI 23 pretty quickly.

Dicko is a real concern, he was in such good form too, but no news is a worry.

Another someone raised on Twitter was Mata - my hunch is that we won't see him in an Edinburgh shirt again. It was a visa issue, but I suspect it's more an 'I don't want to come back' issue that is being resolved contractually. I could be wrong and hope I am, he has something to offer for sure.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Ahead of making his Champions Cup debut tomorrow maybe worth mentioning that George Turner has now played more minutes for Glasgow (in less than 6 weeks) than he did for Edinburgh in 4 seasons...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 pm

disco wrote:Ahead of making his Champions Cup debut tomorrow maybe worth mentioning that George Turner has now played more minutes for Glasgow (in less than 6 weeks) than he did for Edinburgh in 4 seasons...

But not nearly in as many different positions.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:31 pm

All that really tells us is our 4th choices hooker was better than Glasgows 2nd choice!
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 pm

like Turner, but I don't think I would swap Ford or McInally for him at the moment, he may nudge them out in future though. But agree it says more about how light Glasgow are there than anything else.

No doubting his abilty in the loose, a very dynamic player, but set plays need improved dramatically. Good luck to him though, hopefully Glasgow can develop him for us.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 pm

gowrie wrote:
disco wrote:Ahead of making his Champions Cup debut tomorrow maybe worth mentioning that George Turner has now played more minutes for Glasgow (in less than 6 weeks) than he did for Edinburgh in 4 seasons...

:D

Like the other posters I'd say he is definitely behind Rambo and Fordy, his youth is on his side when it comes to Cochrane, but Cochrane's darts are better than anyone's in the Edinburgh and Glasgow squads
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 pm

gowrie wrote:

There is that :D
disco
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
:D

Like the other posters I'd say he is definitely behind Rambo and Fordy, his youth is on his side when it comes to Cochrane, but Cochrane's darts are better than anyone's in the Edinburgh and Glasgow squads

He's not behind Fordy anymore. You can argue for Rambo, but not for Fordy.
I've been impressed from what I've seen (not much honestly) of him at Glasgow. I did not think it would work so well. So it's a good news for him to flourish at Glasgow. And I hope for him he'll stay there (don't make another "Kennedy")...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Turners hooker basics aren't good enough. His arrows and scrummaging just aren't there yet imo.

His open field awareness needs to.improve too. In the games I've seen there have been 3 or 4 passes that have been shocking and directly lost a try or put his team under pressure.when hitting it up has been better options.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum