Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:not seen anything on Samoa but on his medical history Mark Palmer of the ST tweeted

"Has the potential to be a quality addition. Medical history raises valid concerns but Edinburgh have done considerable due diligence"

Was talk of extra medical test etc would have to assume he will be released for Samoa 7s if selected as it appeared to be the stumbling block in the Bath talks.

That's ok only if it is for the minimum number of tournaments e.g 3 or 4 rather than 8 or 9. Some may fit in with off weeks.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Agree, I would think it would be for the minimum to qualify for RWC and by negotiation which ones he gets released for, as you said some will fit better for ER than others, but if that is the flexibility we need to offer to be able to sign the likes of him so be it.

Impressive stuff on the highlights reel (as you would expect) ER put together, really hope we get to see him and Bennett in the midfield together at some point.

Vid finishes with a Season Tickets Coming Soon screen, what ever soon means :roll:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

BigD163 wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:not seen anything on Samoa but on his medical history Mark Palmer of the ST tweeted

"Has the potential to be a quality addition. Medical history raises valid concerns but Edinburgh have done considerable due diligence"

Was talk of extra medical test etc would have to assume he will be released for Samoa 7s if selected as it appeared to be the stumbling block in the Bath talks.

That's ok only if it is for the minimum number of tournaments e.g 3 or 4 rather than 8 or 9. Some may fit in with off weeks.

Could have sworn two events was the minimum last time. Call it three to get in the swing of things, though he/Samoa would likely want them at the pointy end of the season.

If (touch wood) he stays fit hell be a good signing for embra. Starting with a limited gameplan a power centre is ideal.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 pm

A lot of interesting chat in the press release about him working off the field as well - wonder what that is all about?

Nightmare for defences if Fruean and Bennett are fit together with Hoyland, Graham, Kinghorn and others ready to cut lose outside.

The pack will be much improved too.

Excited for next season....
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:A lot of interesting chat in the press release about him working off the field as well - wonder what that is all about?

Nightmare for defences if Fruean and Bennett are fit together with Hoyland, Graham, Kinghorn and others ready to cut lose outside.

Hodge is still here. And even if Cockerill has proved he can have great results, the kind of rugby we'll be playing has nothing to excite me too much... :o It's as if Solomons was back for the gameplan, but at least we can expect better results.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 pm

germain wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:A lot of interesting chat in the press release about him working off the field as well - wonder what that is all about?

Hodge is still here. And even if Cockerill has proved he can have great results, the kind of rugby we'll be playing has nothing to excite me too much... :o It's as if Solomons was back for the gameplan, but at least we can expect better results.

Which is fair, but I don't care how we play, I just want to win.

When we start winning we can worry about style points but first we need to worry about actual points.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:16 am

germain wrote:

You haven't a clue what 'kind of rugby' we'll be playing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:36 am

germain wrote:

What kind of rugby? Did you see how Toulon played at the end of the season?

This is the kind of rugby Leicester played when I lived down there.

https://youtu.be/cdJM5z5__vY

The idea that some people have that it's just stick it up your jumper, ten man rugby just shows how little they watch the game.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:36 am

The team's fitness levels won't just be up a notch for next season, they will be up two notches. In addition to the influence Cockers will have, McCrae is in from 7's running defence and he's got the strength and conditioning coach coming with him. There will be no 40 minute performances, the guys will be fitter, faster and stronger and they can probably look forward to putting a lot more hours in to get there.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 pm

biffer wrote:What kind of rugby? Did you see how Toulon played at the end of the season?

The idea that some people have that it's just stick it up your jumper, ten man rugby just shows how little they watch the game.

When Leicester won the Heinekin no-one cared about style. Ditto Munster. Wining rugby is the only "style" that matters. The game moves on and teams area unlikely to win many competitions these days with 10 man up the jumper, but would their fans care much if they did?

Would have thought folk would have had enough of nice rugby, nice to play against, gallant loser status
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:29 am

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:What kind of rugby? Did you see how Toulon played at the end of the season?

When Leicester won the Heinekin no-one cared about style. Ditto Munster. Wining rugby is the only "style" that matters. The game moves on and teams area unlikely to win many competitions these days with 10 man up the jumper, but would their fans care much if they did?

Would have thought folk would have had enough of nice rugby, nice to play against, gallant loser status

Season before last we barely lost at home and the moaning about style was incessant.
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm pretty sure putting all our best tries of a season together in a video, I can make people believe that we were playing with Solomons some outstanding and nice rugby, and that we all had fun watching it. But that's not reality.
I confess I've seen very little of Cockerill's teams so far but what I've seen make me think it's based on forward power, good kicking game and astute moves in the backs.
I've not seen at all Toulon but everything I've read on it says it's not very exciting or inventive. They say it's just pragmatic, efficient with big forwards, good kickers and hard hitting backs. The only debate that has been raised by Toulon's recent run in France is: Is rugby now too dangerous and brutal ? Not the kind of debate that happens when free-flowing rugby is played.
So there's nothing to be upset about when I say it will not be great exciting rugby. I might be wrong and we could have some very positive rugby. But let's be honest: what we expect with Cockerill is winning's excitment, whatever the way we play.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:When Leicester won the Heinekin no-one cared about style. Ditto Munster. Wining rugby is the only "style" that matters. The game moves on and teams area unlikely to win many competitions these days with 10 man up the jumper, but would their fans care much if they did?

Season before last we barely lost at home and the moaning about style was incessant.[/quote]

I know, there is no end to the naivety of some folk, and Ian in a good mood so being very tactful. Had they won a few more away from home and been comfortably challenging for a play of place, I suspect we would still see moaning. Ignorance is bliss I suppose
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Season before last we barely lost at home and the moaning about style was incessant.

I think a problem with Solomons was his signings - a lot of dross whereas Cockers will be hard pressed to pick a team without a majority of youngish Scottish talent and established Scotland players. I think when you're playing homegrown kids who are early or mid 20s you'll get the benefit of the doubt at the start at least.

I also think we'll play decent rugby, I enjoyed the Glasgow match and I expect to see something like that every week with the pack setting a very good platform and the backs attacking space.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Lets not go back to the dark dark days of Solomons please. We neither played with style nor won anything and never got into the top 6. We were frankly shocking despite what looked like a decent squad on paper. And yes he did sign a lot of players who were never up to standard and also let go a number of players who would have done a job for us. At the end of the day his tenure was measured by failure to reach the top half of the the league in the 3 seasons he was here. He was a failure.

Whilst I would love to have a squad who could emulate the Weegie rugby style I know that aint going to happen. However whatever the style of rugby we play it has to be one that is going to win games and one that we can actually execute properly. Too often in the Solomons era we were playing a style of game that clearly the players didnt like and couldn’t execute and was very rarely going to win games,and we didnt win many, it was more a matter of waiting for the other team to make mistakes. It was dreary, dull, old fashioned, limited and ultimately a failure.

I would be quite happy for Cockerill to bring a game plan that suited our squad, we could execute efficiently and effectively and which had the potential to win games. It we could look organised, defend for 80 mins, play at speed, could execute set plays, off load and when it was right attack teams out wide and try and win games then I would be happy.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum