Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:03 pm

gowrie wrote:Very good news on both signings. Bresler completes the 2017 re-signings, and it's interesting that Dell's extended his contract a year early.

I wonder if there has been worrying news in Dickos recovery?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:18 pm

gowrie wrote:Very good news on both signings. Bresler completes the 2017 re-signings, and it's interesting that Dell's extended his contract a year early.

Dell was probably due a better deal as he's become a regular international.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

Dell was probably due a better deal as he's become a regular international.

he got his first cap last season; and now he is a Lion. An extension and pay rise is hardly a surprise
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

New Gunner wrote:As official lines of communication have rather dried up recently, I found this interview with Cockers:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/press ... story.html

We've done quite well to get him. At Toulon he took a group of under-performing stars, less than the sum of their parts, and got them to the Top 14 Final against the odds. Should be good preparation for the task at hand up here...

They have started to drip feed stuff about Cockers on the social media channels now but I am quite surprised there isn't a long interview - maybe saving that for the season ticket announcement? Although, Edinburgh aren't as good as Glasgow at releasing interview etc content.

Hopefully Bresler can stay fit and the depth at loosehead is excellent - I really think Dell is the next Dickinson as he's the whole package.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Dell has certainly improved massively this season, but Sutherland was deservedly ahead of him before. Having both of them on the books for the next two seasons is excellent and probably means a bit more difficulty during the international periods.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:38 pm

gowrie wrote:Dell has certainly improved massively this season, but Sutherland was deservedly ahead of him before. Having both of them on the books for the next two seasons is excellent and probably means a bit more difficulty during the international periods.

A year ago now and the improvements Dell has made have been massive. It'll be interesting to see how they go and hopefully we keep all props fit as last year was carnage.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:Dell has certainly improved massively this season, but Sutherland was deservedly ahead of him before. Having both of them on the books for the next two seasons is excellent and probably means a bit more difficulty during the international periods.

A year ago now and the improvements Dell has made have been massive. It'll be interesting to see how they go and hopefully we keep all props fit as last year was carnage.

Is Sutherland back in training? Will he be fit for start of the season?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 am

doedin wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Is Sutherland back in training? Will he be fit for start of the season?

Will either he or Dicko be ready?

Not sure if there is a mandatory stand down period, but Dell will need a few weeks off too, so might be a bit short at LHP during pre season.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Squad confirmed

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... 718-season

EDIT: don't appear able to get image to fit but all detailed at link
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Stand off is a worry since there is no one else who can cover 10 effectively in the squad. Yes I am ignoring Kinghorn. He is still flaky as a 15 and needs time to improve there before anyone thinks of slotting him elsewhere.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Weegie wrote:Stand off is a worry since there is no one else who can cover 10 effectively in the squad. Yes I am ignoring Kinghorn. He is still flaky as a 15 and needs time to improve there before anyone thinks of slotting him elsewhere.

Burleigh and Galbraith can both do the job you'd expect a third choice 10 to do. Neither Weir or Tovey have been so great that the drop down would be particularly massive.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm

gowrie wrote:
Weegie wrote:Stand off is a worry since there is no one else who can cover 10 effectively in the squad. Yes I am ignoring Kinghorn. He is still flaky as a 15 and needs time to improve there before anyone thinks of slotting him elsewhere.

Burleigh and Galbraith can both do the job you'd expect a third choice 10 to do. Neither Weir or Tovey have been so great that the drop down would be particularly massive.

Whilst I concede either could play in an emergency, my point still stands. Burleigh has been tried and found wanting. I know Galbraith has played stand off, centre and full back, but let's not start pushing youngsters in more than one position until they have had a chance to grow into pro rugby and learned one position properly.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Jason Baggott? There must be a reason he's being kept around for so long on an academy deal. I think he'll see some playing time this year.

Squad is quite young, I like there's not been an overhaul and it's now about effort and coaching (and injury luck).
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Weegie wrote:
gowrie wrote:

Whilst I concede either could play in an emergency, my point still stands. Burleigh has been tried and found wanting. I know Galbraith has played stand off, centre and full back, but let's not start pushing youngsters in more than one position until they have had a chance to grow into pro rugby and learned one position properly.

We won games with Burleigh at 10. He wasn't amazing, but he can do a job there with a decent team around him, how many teams have anyone significantly better as their third choice?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 am

gowrie wrote:
Weegie wrote:
gowrie wrote:Burleigh and Galbraith can both do the job you'd expect a third choice 10 to do. Neither Weir or Tovey have been so great that the drop down would be particularly massive.

We won games with Burleigh at 10. He wasn't amazing, but he can do a job there with a decent team around him, how many teams have anyone significantly better as their third choice?

That the team won with Burleigh at 10 is not a good indicator of his effectiveness, teams do win with one member playing poorly.

Identifying teams whose third choice is better than Burleigh is a fools errand. You plainly rate Burleigh higher than I do, so will rate him higher compared to others than I will. However, I note he is listed as stand off / centre on the Edinburgh site, so I suppose he is the back up. Mind you, Kinghorn is listed as a stand off on there as well.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum