Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby BigD163 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Scotland training camp Edinburgh call ups:
BACKS

Phil Burleigh (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Darcy Graham (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped

FORWARDS
Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps]
Anton Bresler (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 16 caps
John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 16 caps
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 18 caps
Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 4 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps

Injured players invited to camp: Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby)

Not considered through injury: Mark Bennett (Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh)
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Dickinson and Sutherland are a major concern for us and Scotland. Both have been out for quite a while and although Dickinson had an aborted come back it must be on for a year they have both been injured. There is obviously enough concern about either/both to bring in Marfo. Are they back training/running? Doesn't auger well I'm afraid - I rate them both as top class players. Anyone know any more?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone we might pick up from the Force as they're disbanding?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Injury update:

Short-term/week-long injuries: Hoyland, Fruean, Bryce, Bradbury
October return: Dell
November: Sutherland
December: Dickinson
Sometime before New Year: Van Der Merwe, Bennett.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Full update plus Mata awaiting visa before returning. New injury for dickinson

Following today’s announcement of the Edinburgh squad to play Sale Sharks in a pre-season friendly at Meggetland on Friday 18 August (kick-off 7.35pm), Edinburgh Rugby continues to manage a number of players back from injury.

Sidelined this week with short-term niggles are Damian Hoyland (groin), Robbie Fruean (knee), Kevin Bryce (knee) and Magnus Bradbury (knee).

Prop Alasdair Dickinson continues on a course of rehab from a foot injury suffered last season. During the rehabilitation period, a shoulder issue was discovered and it was deemed appropriate to resolve that with surgery to allow a smooth transition back to rugby around December time.

Wing Duhan van der Merwe (hip) and centre Mark Bennett (knee) are also scheduled to return before the new year.

Props Allan Dell (back) and Rory Sutherland (groin) face less of a wait and are expected to return in October and November respectively. Meanwhile, following his performances for Fiji in the summer internationals, Bill Mata is expected to return to the capital at the start of the season once his visa has been renewed.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Cheers guys - better news than I was expecting!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 pm

biffer wrote:Anyone we might pick up from the Force as they're disbanding?

Given the timescales on the injuries I wouldn't have thought Edinburgh would be wanting to sign someone up on a full-time contract. There's Grant Shiells at Melrose, Robin Hislop at Ayr or Steven Findlay at Hawks if either of the pro teams need short-term/ emergency cover at LH.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 pm

doedin wrote:Dickinson and Sutherland are a major concern for us and Scotland. Both have been out for quite a while and although Dickinson had an aborted come back it must be on for a year they have both been injured. There is obviously enough concern about either/both to bring in Marfo. Are they back training/running? Doesn't auger well I'm afraid - I rate them both as top class players. Anyone know any more?

Dickinson is now of the age (nearly 34) where if he returns it may not be at his best but if he does he is still going to have to be managed carefully. It sounds like they are doing that and putting him in the best position they can to get to the next RWC when I think he might retire.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Would be surprised if Dickinson played much more rugby to be honest, which is a real shame - hopefully he can play this season and end on a high rather than retire injured. Will be interesting to see how Marfo goes, probably his best chance in pro rugby so far but does make letting Cosgrove go look rather silly as there's a lot of game time to be had and he was good.

What's interesting for me is Baggott has been selected over Tovey - perhaps this is the year Baggott finally breaks through, hopefully so anyway. Galbraith not in the squad at all when Johnstone is benching is interesting as well, I hope Farndale can get a pro deal. Bryce over Kinghorn is odd when Cockers has name checked Kinghorn a couple of times, I also thought he might make the Scotland squad - would be interested to know what the coaches are saying to him.

Ominous that Fruean is already on the injury lists.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

disco wrote:

Given the timescales on the injuries I wouldn't have thought Edinburgh would be wanting to sign someone up on a full-time contract. There's Grant Shiells at Melrose, Robin Hislop at Ayr or Steven Findlay at Hawks if either of the pro teams need short-term/ emergency cover at LH.

Didn't know Hislop and Shiells were up here, I'd assumed they were at Championship sides. Both good enough for emergency bench cover if the academy guys are viewed as not up to it - although Cockerill's was known to throw academy guys in at the deep end once in a while at Leicester if he thought they could handle it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

disco wrote:

I'm sure I saw Shiells in someone's Insta post up in St Andrews
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:30 am

Shiells is with Melrose this season, Hislop's at Ayr.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:31 am

Frenchy wrote:Shiells is with Melrose this season, Hislop's at Ayr.

And Ryan Grant was in an Instagram post from an Embra player in BTM earlier today...
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Per Sunday Times, ryan Grant apparently has training with us this week with a view to LH cover for our injuries
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Burleigh out of Scotland training squad with shoulder injury. Not clear how long he may be out of action for.

Dropping ... like ... flies
Rico
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum