Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:26 am

biffer wrote:
Oldsalt wrote:No Biffer I'm not saying let him go at all. Some seem to think he is the finished article and can do no wrong. What hopefully he will do is work on his weaker areas and improve only time will tell if this happens.
Perhaps Glasgow are where they are because they as individuals want to be better and play as a team better.
How many seasons have ER just turned up in the second half of the season and then frittered away a good league position. Maybe this is what Manu was getting at a few months ago, mental attitude.

You seem to be demonstrating the traditional attitude of an Edinburgh fan. All negative about one of Tibet young prospects to come through in recent years.

So does this mean he must henceforth be known as Dalai Lama? :lol:
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 am

Tune in, Turn on, Free Blair Kinghorn
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:NO NO NO NO NO HE IS A 12 AND ONLY A 12, ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD PLAY HIM AT 13 WHERE HE IS USELESS!!!!!

:roll:

Yeah, because that was the problem :roll:
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:NO NO NO NO NO HE IS A 12 AND ONLY A 12, ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD PLAY HIM AT 13 WHERE HE IS USELESS!!!!!

:roll:

Yeah, because that was the problem :roll:
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:23 pm

New Gunner wrote:
biffer wrote:
Oldsalt wrote:No Biffer I'm not saying let him go at all. Some seem to think he is the finished article and can do no wrong. What hopefully he will do is work on his weaker areas and improve only time will tell if this happens.
Perhaps Glasgow are where they are because they as individuals want to be better and play as a team better.
How many seasons have ER just turned up in the second half of the season and then frittered away a good league position. Maybe this is what Manu was getting at a few months ago, mental attitude.

You seem to be demonstrating the traditional attitude of an Edinburgh fan. All negative about one of Tibet young prospects to come through in recent years.

and if he turns out to be rubbish he'll be a false alama
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
New Gunner wrote:
biffer wrote:You seem to be demonstrating the traditional attitude of an Edinburgh fan. All negative about one of Tibet young prospects to come through in recent years.

and if he turns out to be rubbish he'll be a false alama

:lol: Does this make the Tovenator Dai Lama?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

An update on our remaining out of contract players for 2017:

Rory Sutherland - hope to keep, a quality player
Willem Nel - would love to keep, although the Sunday Times reckons he's on his way to France. Clearly we can't afford him in the open market, so it's down to non-financial factors like welfare, family etc. Incidentally, he is slated for return to the team this weekend :)
Anton Bresler - again hope he stays, we've missed him badly this season. Suspect he will, as he becomes SQ in the autumn (based on current regulations)
Hamish Watson - budget-wise it's either him or Hardie I suspect, so would definitely prefer to keep Hamish of the two. Has indicated he wants to stay, despite almost certain attention from elsewhere - SRU may be waiting to see what happens with Hardie first
Nasi Manu - can't decide. He's been injury-ridden since he got here, but undoubtedly has quality - he was superb in his first game v Leinster when not even fully fit, have we caused him to regress? If we could get the best out of him as a player and leader would be a huge asset, and no bad thing for either side to keep him here until he qualifies for Scotland.
Simon Berghan - a must to keep, whether or not Nel goes I can't see us getting much better at TH in the open market, hopefully he can stay injury-free.
Tom Brown - always dependable (and I suspect reasonably priced), definitely keep
John Hardie - would sacrifice for budget reasons rather than Watson, although he is a cracking player when fit
Michael Allen - would keep as a squad player if the price is right
Grant Gilchrist - underperfoming this season, can't help but feel a move would be in mutual best interests - he gets his mojo back which is great for Scotland, and we free up budget to hold on to and develop others
Sean Kennedy - blows hot and cold, can't see him being more than a 2nd / 3rd choice Pro12 SH. Could retain him while looking to fast track a youngster (eg Hugh Fraser) to challenge
Jack Cosgrove - keep for squad depth
Kyle Whyte - keep, let's see how he pans out
Alex Northam - one game v Timisoara, hard to know if he's any good or not. Huge admiration for what he's gone through, would like to see him get a chance to shine but if it ain't happening then we should let him go.
Sasa Tofilau - Hodge doesn't rate him, has done little in the games he had, so likely to be let go
Nathan Fowles - let him leave, particularly didn't appreciate his attitude towards the amateur players at the Melrose 7s which probably makes me biased, however appears to be down the pecking order in any case
Nick Beavon - have to assume the experiment hasn't worked
Will Helu - decent enough journeyman, but suspect he's being paid more than he delivers - let go
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:01 pm

I agree with a lot of that NG.

Manu should stay, he was injured a lot in his last season at the Highlanders, he's due a good run of luck (as long as he's not permacrocked and one injury lead to the next) and when it comes he will be a great asset to Edinburgh, he has the leadership qualities of Coman but comes in as a very high quality player, Many in New Zealand would have had him in the All Blacks side.
I hope Northam stays on an we get to see what he can do, a friend on another forum who is a Tahs fan was hoping to see him return to play for them, so I think he has something about him.
On Tofilau, I hope he is given more time. He's a big lad and only 22. I like what I've seen, there is a lot of potential there
Last edited by Tichtheid on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:02 pm

McCallum will be up for contract negotiation, given that he's currently only on a Stage 3 Academy contract.

(keep, in my opinion, although he'll definitely cost more than he does at present)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 pm

bignose wrote:McCallum will be up for contract negotiation, given that he's currently only on a Stage 3 Academy contract.

(keep, in my opinion, although he'll definitely cost more than he does at present)

Definitely a keeper, imo
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:30 pm

There's no question about keeping McCallum, he has to be guaranteed a promotion to the senior squad after his appearances this year, surely?

Speaking of, you'd hope that we have replacements for most of those players above who we might be letting go/losing.
Manu->Miller
Helu->Robbins
Beavon->McCallum
Fowles->Fraser
Tofilau->Galbraith

Not perfectly 1-to-1 but we should be promoting a lot from the academy for next season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 pm

I'd bring in an experienced scrum half to push SHC and Fraser, is that guy Kennedy? Not for me.

I wouldn't bring back Manu, he's likely a top earner and really doesn't play enough to justify that. I'd only bring him back if he doesn't cost too much but if not bring in someone more dependable. I think we can expect big things from Miller as he's getting good reviews at Scottish.

McCallum is a must keep too, surprised he's not been extended yet. Same with Berghan - looked very good so sign him up now before his agent gets some clubs interested.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 am

ER tweet - We have some big news coming out of ER this morning
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

Watson gets a two year deal, excellent news
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

The Feral Goat wrote:ER tweet - We have some big news coming out of ER this morning

Watson - two year contract.

Excellent news
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum