Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Frenchy on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Scholes has signed with Connacht. Hope it goes well for him.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:07 pm

I see Jackson has just signed for Glasgow. Is it just me that thinks that they've been signing quite a lot of players recently? My impression is they've been much more active than we have in signing players, but I haven't been paying close attention to it so this may be incorrect.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I see Jackson has just signed for Glasgow. Is it just me that thinks that they've been signing quite a lot of players recently? My impression is they've been much more active than we have in signing players, but I haven't been paying close attention to it so this may be incorrect.

Glasgow had far more players out of contract at the end of 2016/17. As things stand both teams have 43 full-time players confirmed in their squads.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I see Jackson has just signed for Glasgow. Is it just me that thinks that they've been signing quite a lot of players recently? My impression is they've been much more active than we have in signing players, but I haven't been paying close attention to it so this may be incorrect.

Jackson seems likes marriage of convienece more than anything. 1 year deal that will help cover 15 when Hogg is broken/on Scotland duty and help depth at 10 until Hastings gets up to speed. Didn't appear to be a queue of suitors for him either.

The SRU need him playing in case he is needed in emergency at 15.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 pm

I still think we should have signed Jackson as (a) I think he's better than Weir and Tovey and (b) he can cover fullback where we are a tad light if Kinghorn doesn't learn to tackle.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I still think we should have signed Jackson as (a) I think he's better than Weir and Tovey and (b) he can cover fullback where we are a tad light if Kinghorn doesn't learn to tackle.

Kinghorn knows how to tackle. It happens to miss some along the way. And Kinghorn is a much better FB than Jacko.

At FH, you can discuss but it's really small margins. What is sure is that we have only two FH + Burleigh and they 4 FH + Horne.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:A lot of coaches appear to see Gilchrist as captain but he looked a better player after getting a decent run in the team without the weight of captaincy, I have been impressed with McInallys communication, it is noticeable at Myreside how vocal he is with the team/ref when coming on, but it was also pretty evident when we were struggling in a game or when a game was there for the winning and we really needed leadership and direction we did not have it irrespective of who was on the pitch (except Cochrane perhaps).

I think with Cockerill coming in we need a fresh start and fresh leadership if there are other candidates in the squad who could step up. If we are winning leadership becomes easier and less of an issue.

Agree with Biffer that Ritchie looks to be a future leader but he needs to be a regular starter which I am not sure he is quite yet, Cockerill may think otherwise of course. Watson for me was the one player that gave 100% every time he took to the pitch last season, does not necessarily make for a good captain but if everyone played with the same attitude we may have won a few more games.

In summary we need a couple of good captain options but like all things winning matters most.

Agree with all of this.

In keeping with the fresh start/leadership idea (and the reference in today's Scotsman to Cockers "springing a surprise" in terms of the captaincy), I reckon it could be someone like Robbie Fruean.

There'd probably be grumbling from some quarters, but he could be a great choice - he's experienced, is always likely to start if fit and available, and doesn't have the baggage or bad habits of previous set-ups/regimes at ER. Plus from what he's said in interviews, he seems keen to help the younger guys develop (although that could just be something he's been told to say!).

Everything you want from your captain.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Rico wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:A lot of coaches appear to see Gilchrist as captain but he looked a better player after getting a decent run in the team without the weight of captaincy, I have been impressed with McInallys communication, it is noticeable at Myreside how vocal he is with the team/ref when coming on, but it was also pretty evident when we were struggling in a game or when a game was there for the winning and we really needed leadership and direction we did not have it irrespective of who was on the pitch (except Cochrane perhaps).

I think with Cockerill coming in we need a fresh start and fresh leadership if there are other candidates in the squad who could step up. If we are winning leadership becomes easier and less of an issue.

Agree with Biffer that Ritchie looks to be a future leader but he needs to be a regular starter which I am not sure he is quite yet, Cockerill may think otherwise of course. Watson for me was the one player that gave 100% every time he took to the pitch last season, does not necessarily make for a good captain but if everyone played with the same attitude we may have won a few more games.

In summary we need a couple of good captain options but like all things winning matters most.

Agree with all of this.

In keeping with the fresh start/leadership idea (and the reference in today's Scotsman to Cockers "springing a surprise" in terms of the captaincy), I reckon it could be someone like Robbie Fruean.

There'd probably be grumbling from some quarters, but he could be a great choice - he's experienced, is always likely to start if fit and available, and doesn't have the baggage or bad habits of previous set-ups/regimes at ER. Plus from what he's said in interviews, he seems keen to help the younger guys develop (although that could just be something he's been told to say!).

Big if that. Also, he isn't available when playing 7s for Samoa - a big reason he came here. Would be very surprised if he was captain.

Hamish Watson is the obvious choice, leads by example. From everything Cockers has said, seems he is a stickler for leading by example.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Rico wrote:

Agree with all of this.

Big if that. Also, he isn't available when playing 7s for Samoa - a big reason he came here. Would be very surprised if he was captain.

Hamish Watson is the obvious choice, leads by example. From everything Cockers has said, seems he is a stickler for leading by example.

Don't disagree about Watson potentially being a good choice (although don't know if I would go as far as saying "obvious choice") but surely he would have the same problem as Fruean (i.e. unavailable during international periods)?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Rico wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Big if that. Also, he isn't available when playing 7s for Samoa - a big reason he came here. Would be very surprised if he was captain.

Don't disagree about Watson potentially being a good choice (although don't know if I would go as far as saying "obvious choice") but surely he would have the same problem as Fruean (i.e. unavailable during international periods)?

Way I see it guaranteed starters when fit: Nel, Toolis, Watson, Fruean and Bennett next year.

Fruean is away looking to qualify for Samoa through the back door whereas the other three are playing for Scotland - the pinnacle for 99% of the rugby players in this country. Nel is THP - rare they're captain, Toolis is calling lineout and leads by example so could see the logic there now I think about it.

Of course could a club captain and run on captain. Who knows.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Du Perez would be my choice. All the attributes and unlikely to be away on international duty that often.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Du Perez would be my choice. All the attributes and unlikely to be away on international duty that often.

If du Preez is in 15/16 form he is Scotland's starting 8.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Du Perez would be my choice. All the attributes and unlikely to be away on international duty that often.

Jamie Ritchie or Magnus Bradbury perhaps? It may well be that one of those 2 epitomise the culture he is trying to create. The old guard certainly haven't done it in recent years.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:34 pm

In the Scotland announcement today, Dickinson and Sutherland are listed as injured. Pretty concerning, especially for Sutherland that whatever they're dealing with is still too serious to train.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:06 pm

That must be getting on for a year Sutherland has been out, was it a groin or hamstring if the same injury?

Not good for either and means we are already a bit light for cover at LH and the season has not even started.

EDIT: I see Dell is on the list as injured but invited to train, I guess McCallum may be back at LH for the start of the season?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum