Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Weegie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 pm

gowrie wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Doeant bode well for our LH injuries if we are bringing another in.

Probably (hopefully) too quick a turnaround for it to do with Sutherland, but doesn't leave you optimistic for Dell and Dickinson.

Dell has had an op within the last week or two.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes it occurred that something longer term with Dell as the silence has been deafening and another LH signed.Anyone have any inside track on where Marfo is in terms of recovery?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:26 pm

gowrie wrote:I think it does mean that Bresler's no longer SQ, but IMO that doesn't mean much for Scotland. He might have picked up a couple of caps when there were injuries, but don't think he ever really would have challenged for the first choice 23.

Yup, I suppose technically you could make the argument your primary / main residence remains in Edinburgh and you are commuting (as loads of people do in London from Edinburgh week in week out), but the role of a professional rugby player is hardly 9-5, 5 days a week is it so I think it's safe to say that moving south will extinguish his qualification. Shame after being invited into the AI training squad this year.

8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:
(a) he was born; or
(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or
(c) he has completed thirty six / sixty¹ consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or
(d) he has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing.

Residence means the place or location in which a Player has his primary and permanent home and Resident shall be construed accordingly.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm

I see Steff Evans has got four weeks for his red card earlier this week. Decision quotes a 50% reduction for previous good conduct bla bla. Wasn't he sent off in the Pro 12 Final in May?
Trust this shows the committee are in festive mode today and this will be reflected in Bergham's sentence..?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:49 pm

liveinhope wrote:Anyone have any inside track on where Marfo is in terms of recovery?

Was an article in the Scotsman about 10 days ago where Cockers said he was a doubt for both Glasgow games (back injury, I think) but wasn't anything longer term than that
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 pm

liveinhope wrote:I see Steff Evans has got four weeks for his red card earlier this week. Decision quotes a 50% reduction for previous good conduct bla bla. Wasn't he sent off in the Pro 12 Final in May?
Trust this shows the committee are in festive mode today and this will be reflected in Bergham's sentence..?

I think you login name says it all there!
Evans was sent off in May but that was over turned at the hearing so clean slate. This time he crashes into Osprey player chasing a high ball. Ospreys player falls badly and I think goes off. But Evans was def unintentional (not looking where he was going and starts to jump for same ball), yet panel said it was mid level entry. Hardly suggests festive spirit :(
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Wottie wrote:
Rico wrote:It was inevitable that some of those who were out of contract would move on, and Bresler was always lower down the priority list for re-signing. Wish him all the best though and could be a good move for both him and Wuss.

Yes but Bresler still had a season and a half on his contract, so there is probably a bit more to it.

Are you sure? I have him down as OOC at end of this season, i.e.in 5 months' time.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

liveinhope wrote:I see Steff Evans has got four weeks for his red card earlier this week. Decision quotes a 50% reduction for previous good conduct bla bla. Wasn't he sent off in the Pro 12 Final in May?

on reflection yo were right.
12 weeks , 50% discount for being very very nice, nothing added to make an example of him.

So 6 weeks and Bergs can think himself a wee bit lucky
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:39 pm

doedin wrote:
Surprised we signed a LH given gaps at TH following Berghans brain fart but I suppose in McCallum we have a very good young prop who can play either side if required?

We have a LH crisis - Dickinson permacrocked, Dell just gone under the knife, Sutherland's arm in a sling post-1872 and Marfo's back problem persisting. So McCallum, who is primarily a tighthead, was our only LH-capable option. Suspect we will start v the Weegies with Lay at LH and McCallum at TH, with Bryce covering TH from the bench and McCallum covering LH. The only other bench option is Millar-Mills (TH), but not heard a peep about him since he signed so may be injured. He may also bench, but to a degree it's a waste of a spot as it's unlikely we'd have to bring on a third TH during the game. If McCallum gets injured it could get tricky, not least because Cockers clearly doesn't trust Bryce.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:39 pm

joe soap wrote:

on reflection yo were right.
12 weeks , 50% discount for being very very nice, nothing added to make an example of him.

So 6 weeks and Bergs can think himself a wee bit lucky

Very lucky. The disciplinary panel can be a lottery sometimes.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm

New Gunner wrote:
doedin wrote:
Surprised we signed a LH given gaps at TH following Berghans brain fart but I suppose in McCallum we have a very good young prop who can play either side if required?

We have a LH crisis - Dickinson permacrocked, Dell just gone under the knife, Sutherland's arm in a sling post-1872 and Marfo's back problem persisting. So McCallum, who is primarily a tighthead, was our only LH-capable option. Suspect we will start v the Weegies with Lay at LH and McCallum at TH, with Bryce covering TH from the bench and McCallum covering LH. The only other bench option is Millar-Mills (TH), but not heard a peep about him since he signed so may be injured. He may also bench, but to a degree it's a waste of a spot as it's unlikely we'd have to bring on a third TH during the game. If McCallum gets injured it could get tricky, not least because Cockers clearly doesn't trust Bryce.

Cameron Fenton is another possible outside option at prop, if we have to dig deep, he plays hooker and prop.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:46 pm

New Gunner wrote:
doedin wrote:

What about Shields? Seemed to play well enough Saturday.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Six weeks for Bergs
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Six weeks for Bergs

he got 6 weeks a few posts back, that must be 12 now if he's got another 6
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Sorry to see Bresler leaving, he has consistently played well, often very well, for Embra. IIRC, he only got a one year extension last season and, as he will be 30 next year, it's understandable that he should look for a payday down south, pro rugby's a short career. I think he'll do well with Worcester and very best of luck to him.

My understanding is that, once you're qualified for a country by residency, you don't lose that status by moving, you remain qualified, e.g. Visser, Strauss. Disco??
royc
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum