Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Tichtheid on Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I wonder if MacRae will have a word in the appropriate ear regarding Farndale?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I think we look pretty set on the wing especially as none are likely to be away with Scotland when Hogg, Seymour and Maitland are available.

I like the look of the squad - Fruean would improve it even more and maybe a depth loosehead. We look set to go and see who responds to Cockers and wants to be here and who doesn't.

Interesting bunch of academy kids - Baggott needs to kick on and stake his claim.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 am

germain wrote:So now...

1- Al Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, Allan Dell / Ross Dunbar
2- Ross Ford, Neil Cochrane, Stuart McInally, George Turner / Fraser Renwick
3- WP Nel, Murray McCallum, Simon Berghan, Kevin Bryce / Dan Winning
4/5- Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist, Fraser McKenzie, Lewis Carmichael, Callum Hunter-Hill / Hamish Bain, Jamie Ure
6- Jamie Ritchie, Viliame Mata, Viliami Fihaki/ Luke Crosbie
7- Hamish Watson, John Hardie / Thomas Gordon
8- Magnus Bradbury, Cornell Du Preez, Ally Miller / Archie Erskine
9- Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Sean Kennedy, Hugh Fraser, Nathan Fowles / Charlie Shiel, Gary Munro
10- Duncan Weir, Jason Tovey, Phil Burleigh / Jason Baggott
12/13- Chris Dean, Tom Galbraith, Solomoni Rasolea, Mark Bennett / George Taylor, Cameron Hutchinson
11/14- Damian Hoyland, Tom Brown, Rory Scholes, Duhan Van Der Merwe, Darcy Graham / Ross McCann
15- Glenn Bryce, Blair Kinghorn

42 professionnal players (24 forwards, 18 backs; 7 non scottish players) and 14 academy players.
Maybe we're still missing 1 loosehead prop, 1 centre (Fruean?) and one full-back/back-three? Plus Bresler?
We can note that Thornton is not amongst the academy players (which means nothing as he is an exile but...). Robin Hislop has also been released by Doncaster.

If you're listing Burleigh's primary position as ten, I'll have some of your pills as well please.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 am

And Bresler.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Wed May 24, 2017 6:34 am

germain wrote:Acadmy players attached to Edinburgh (stage 3) are known :
Ross Dunbar (Boroughmuir), Dan Winning (Boroughmuir);
Hamish Bain (Currie), Jamie Ure (Boroughmuir);
Luke Crosbie (Currie), Archie Erskine (Boroughmuir), Thomas Gordon (Currie);
Charlie Shiel (Currie),
Jason Baggott (Melrose),
Cameron Hutchison (Currie), George Taylor (Melrose)
Ross McCann (Melrose).

From what I've seen, Crosbie, Hutchinson, Winning all look very promising.

Just because they are attached to the Edinburgh Academy does that make them Edinburgh players? I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I suspect the link is all about where home is as opposed to longer term plans to fulfil roles specifically at Edinburgh?
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 am

Edinburgh Shark wrote:
germain wrote:Acadmy players attached to Edinburgh (stage 3) are known :
Ross Dunbar (Boroughmuir), Dan Winning (Boroughmuir);
Hamish Bain (Currie), Jamie Ure (Boroughmuir);
Luke Crosbie (Currie), Archie Erskine (Boroughmuir), Thomas Gordon (Currie);
Charlie Shiel (Currie),
Jason Baggott (Melrose),
Cameron Hutchison (Currie), George Taylor (Melrose)
Ross McCann (Melrose).

From what I've seen, Crosbie, Hutchinson, Winning all look very promising.

Just because they are attached to the Edinburgh Academy does that make them Edinburgh players? I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I suspect the link is all about where home is as opposed to longer term plans to fulfil roles specifically at Edinburgh?

With few exceptions Glasgow get the Glasgow and super Caley academy players and Edinburgh get the Edinburgh and EL+B players.

Ritchie IIRC despite being a Howe/Bell Baxter lad (and Strathallan) was never in the academy and signed pro straight away. McCallum was in the Edinburgh Academy having moved to play at Heriots(?) after leaving Dunfermline.

Shame Edinburgh didn't have more of the FIfe/Tayside based Caley players. Both Hornes and both Fagersons are nae bad.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am

I think academy players attached to Edinburgh and Border academies are training sometimes with the pro players at Edinburgh. As they are under the look od Edinburgh's staff, it's then more likely for them to sign at Edinburgh if they make it through.
So no, they're not edinburgh players but if we have an injury crisis, maybe some could be picked. That's why I added them in the list.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 pm

germain wrote:I think academy players attached to Edinburgh and Border academies are training sometimes with the pro players at Edinburgh. As they are under the look od Edinburgh's staff, it's then more likely for them to sign at Edinburgh if they make it through.
So no, they're not edinburgh players but if we have an injury crisis, maybe some could be picked. That's why I added them in the list.

I believe all stage 3 academy players are allowed ages to a pro team, with whom they train on a full time basis. They would be available to that team for selection, but then they would also be made available to the other pro team if necessary.

Allocation at stage 3 has so far (new system) mainly but not wholly followed geographic/district splits. When they graduate to full profile, it could be to either team
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

joe soap wrote:
germain wrote:I think academy players attached to Edinburgh and Border academies are training sometimes with the pro players at Edinburgh. As they are under the look od Edinburgh's staff, it's then more likely for them to sign at Edinburgh if they make it through.

I believe all stage 3 academy players are allowed ages to a pro team, with whom they train on a full time basis. They would be available to that team for selection, but then they would also be made available to the other pro team if necessary.

Allocation at stage 3 has so far (new system) mainly but not wholly followed geographic/district splits. When they graduate to full profile, it could be to either team

That's what I assumed - needs/opportunities must
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Moody Blue on Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for that. Do we know what has happened to Jake Kerr, Gary Robertson, Grant McConnell, Ben Robbins & Ruari Howarth. Thought they were in Stage 3 and haven't seen anything about them signing elsewhere?

Ruari Howarth left the Academy last year, and is studying at and playing for Northumbria University. Jake Kerr, likewise - but he went to Loughborough. I am not sure whether he was tired of rugby, or rugby was tired of him, but he seemed to play very little for most of the season, but towards the end was appearing in Loughborough squads. Gary Robertson went to Yorkshire Carnegie as injury cover at one point during the season, but I think got injured himself. It appears that Robertson, along with McConnell and Robbins have been released this Summer. Robbins, may get an opportunity with the 7s squad next year, having made a couple of appearances this year, but I imagine the others will be playing club rugby next year
Moody Blue
Embra Debut

Postby Wottie on Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 am

Moody Blue wrote:Thanks for that. Do we know what has happened to Jake Kerr, Gary Robertson, Grant McConnell, Ben Robbins & Ruari Howarth. Thought they were in Stage 3 and haven't seen anything about them signing elsewhere?

Ruari Howarth left the Academy last year, and is studying at and playing for Northumbria University. Jake Kerr, likewise - but he went to Loughborough. I am not sure whether he was tired of rugby, or rugby was tired of him, but he seemed to play very little for most of the season, but towards the end was appearing in Loughborough squads. Gary Robertson went to Yorkshire Carnegie as injury cover at one point during the season, but I think got injured himself. It appears that Robertson, along with McConnell and Robbins have been released this Summer. Robbins, may get an opportunity with the 7s squad next year, having made a couple of appearances this year, but I imagine the others will be playing club rugby next year

Cheers MB, a very comprehensive resume.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun May 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Robbie Fruean really looked the part for the Babas today, very physical in the tackle, good hands, quick for such a big man and always looking for the offload. He will be areal asset to our backline.

Alongside the fact he was listed as a Bath player for the match, during coverage teammate James Attwood mentioned his 3 tries in 3 games and said he would be a big loss to Bath if he does end up leaving the club. It wasn't language that suggested it was a done deal. Andy Goode however referenced his move to Edinburgh in his summarising during the game. Suggest everyone keep their fingers crossed for the next week or so.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby pjduncan on Mon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Wottie wrote:Robbie Fruean really looked the part for the Babas today, very physical in the tackle, good hands, quick for such a big man and always looking for the offload. He will be areal asset to our backline.

Alongside the fact he was listed as a Bath player for the match, during coverage teammate James Attwood mentioned his 3 tries in 3 games and said he would be a big loss to Bath if he does end up leaving the club. It wasn't language that suggested it was a done deal. Andy Goode however referenced his move to Edinburgh in his summarising during the game. Suggest everyone keep their fingers crossed for the next week or so.

Good to hear! Fingers crossed.

How did Nel get on?
pjduncan
One cap wonder

Postby Wottie on Mon May 29, 2017 5:54 pm

pjduncan wrote:Good to hear! Fingers crossed.

How did Nel get on?

Didn't actually notice when he came on but assume it was around 50-55 mins. You know what its like in a Babas game, not really about the front row. He had a couple of carries and it was difficult to see what his scrummaging was like as the scrum was a complete mess the whole game. Others are better placed than me to comment but Babas were repeatedly pinged for not driving straight and hinging when it looked to me like the English props just kept dropping to their knees. The important thing is he walked off at the final whistle however. Hopefully he will get another run against Ulster on Thursday so we can get a better look before the Scots fly out to Singapore.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon May 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Nel looked to me to be blowing badly after a few minutes, he is someone who has always benefited from playing a lot of rugby, so his fitness will improve as we go on. I rate that young Tigers loosehead Genge, but he is no match for a fully fit WP in a proper game.

Fruean looked great, just what we need, a hugely destructive ball carrier and tackler in the midfield - all digits crossed.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum