Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Rico wrote:Burleigh out of Scotland training squad with shoulder injury. Not clear how long he may be out of action for.

Dropping ... like ... flies

Gives Dean a chance to play 12 which vs Newcastle which I think is where he should play.

Also, it's interesting we now have Fenton and Grant on trial - where were they at the beginning of summer? With the props injured and Ford/Turner with Scotland there was spaces and they'd be given a really good chance to show their stuff.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Per Sunday Times, ryan Grant apparently has training with us this week with a view to LH cover for our injuries

Wonder if he'll ever regain his form?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:46 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Per Sunday Times, ryan Grant apparently has training with us this week with a view to LH cover for our injuries

I don't think it was necessarily form - He stopped being effective when the engagement rules were changed. He may have had a reliance on the hit and once that was taken away he was never as effective. Slightly surprising because he's not a massive guy and he looks more like someone who'd rely on technique, but it seems to be the general consensus. Who knows, maybe Cockers can reinvigorate him.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am

biffer wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

I don't think it was necessarily form - He stopped being effective when the engagement rules were changed. He may have had a reliance on the hit and once that was taken away he was never as effective. Slightly surprising because he's not a massive guy and he looks more like someone who'd rely on technique, but it seems to be the general consensus. Who knows, maybe Cockers can reinvigorate him.

He has lost a bit of a spark around the pitch too to be fair. When Grant hit his 18 month purple patch his scrum was good and he was pretty mobile with a high work rate. Somewhere he has lost his mojo across all of that. The drop off in the scrum seems to be down to the change in engage sequence but can the loss of spark around the park be only injuries or is it something mental? He was binned by Worcester who are hardly flush with props.

Either way, I don't think it would make sense to be any longer than a few months but those few months could be beneficial and a good idea for both parites. I think this is a good idea for both parties. Cover until 1,2 or 3 of the international boys return and a chance for Grant to show enough to get a move elsewhere.

It may offer an up close reminder to the likes of Sutherland, Dell and McCallum just how quickly things can go from looking like everything is great to struggling to find a club. Grant was a 27 year old Lion 4 years ago and now he is 31 year old seemingly struggling to find a club.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm

BigD163 wrote:He has lost a bit of a spark around the pitch too to be fair.

nah, he was fine around the park, still carrying well, making his tackles and hitting rucks. Just a total liability at scrum time, coaches can't afford a prop who has become a total liability in the scrum. Can't pick a prop who apart from conceding loads of pens is likely you be either binned or be taken off to prevent a binning.

Unless he has somehow managed to become a big big scummager Edinburgh are gambling on him coming off the bench and not having many scrums. The other 2 mentioned above are much the same in the scrum (weak) and less good otherwise.
Need Sutherland and Dell fit ASAP. Dicko is a worry and need to start to look beyond him I fear
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:53 pm

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:He has lost a bit of a spark around the pitch too to be fair.

nah, he was fine around the park, still carrying well, making his tackles and hitting rucks. Just a total liability at scrum time, coaches can't afford a prop who has become a total liability in the scrum. Can't pick a prop who apart from conceding loads of pens is likely you be either binned or be taken off to prevent a binning.

His career is a bit of a strange one really. Unremarkable with the Borders and Edinburgh, started to come good with Glasgow then hit a purple patch around the 11/12 season and has then dropped away again since 2013. He's now at the point where as you say he is a liability in the scrum. I still think he has lost something around the park from his peak. His all round game was one that deserved a call up to the initial Lions squad at the time, he really has fallen away sharply. It is a shame because he really should still be in his prime.

Will be interesting to see if Cockerill can get anything out of him as he is approaching his last chance at a decent end to his career.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 am

So as we wait for the announcement of who will captain the side this season, the Weeg announce that Ryan Wilson has the gig at Scotstoun. Inspired selection or putting the lunatic in charge of the asylum?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

Wottie wrote:So as we wait for the announcement of who will captain the side this season, the Weeg announce that Ryan Wilson has the gig at Scotstoun. Inspired selection or putting the lunatic in charge of the asylum?

I think so long as it is managed properly taking the captaincy off of JGray is ok. Not sure I'd have given it to Wilson but not sure who else was really an ideal candidate.

I am not sure who is best for Edinburgh captain. I'd be tempted to go with Toolis.

Looking forward to seeing if Barclay retains the Scotland captaincy - it is a no brainer IMO.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 am

Wottie wrote:So as we wait for the announcement of who will captain the side this season, the Weeg announce that Ryan Wilson has the gig at Scotstoun. Inspired selection or putting the lunatic in charge of the asylum?

Answer B
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 am

BigD163 wrote:Looking forward to seeing if Barclay retains the Scotland captaincy - it is a no brainer IMO.

it'll be Laidlaw.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 am

Ryan Wilson... hmm.

For us, agreed that Toolis seems a good shout. Leads the line out, always involved on the pitch, should be an almost guaranteed starter.

Coaches (all of them) have a thing for Gilchrist as a leader but surely he has to demonstrate that he should be starting ahead of Toolis/Bresler first.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 am

joe soap wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Looking forward to seeing if Barclay retains the Scotland captaincy - it is a no brainer IMO.

it'll be Laidlaw.

I am not sure Laidlaw should be a stick on to start anymore as Price is growing into his role fairly well. JB has also mostly done a very good job as captain too.

That being said given Laidlaw and Barclay will be 34 and 33 at the RWC it probably isn't the worst idea to have AN Other as captain v Samoa and maybe one of the summer tour games to North America.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerStahl on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

robdinsdale wrote:Ryan Wilson... hmm.

For us, agreed that Toolis seems a good shout. Leads the line out, always involved on the pitch, should be an almost guaranteed starter.

Coaches (all of them) have a thing for Gilchrist as a leader but surely he has to demonstrate that he should be starting ahead of Toolis/Bresler first.

It was interesting to see that at the Pro 14 launch Mark Bennett was representing Edinburgh... Potential captain? Maybe that was the carrot that the SRU dangled in front of him. He looked a bit disinterested at Glasgow last season, perhaps needs a role where he is more heavily involved? He's a guaranteed starter whilst fit so not the most bizarre choice...
GunnerStahl
Embra Debut

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I don't thnk Wilson is a bad shout actually, he is a leader and not scared to egt stuck in He has matured a lot over the past coupel of years.

Captain is very hard as we are likely to lose the leading lights to Scotland, so would be tempted with joint captains again. Gilchrist as mentioned, Coschrane does a good job too. Personally I would go for CDP, no nonsense approach will be in the mould of Cockers.

Agree Laidlaw will be under pressure, but possibly no more than Barclay will be for his shirt, if Hardie and Watson stay fit then with the likes of Wilson, Stauss, CDP and Denton hit form he will be under pressure too. He isn't our best 7 but he is our best 6, for a certain type of game, but that is not every game we play I don't think. So its never clear cut.

Jonny Gray might well get it and Glasgow have relieved a bit of pressure on him by naming Wilson.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Before his injury, I would have said Fraser Brown was a good choice for Scotland captain. In his absence I can't think of anyone beyond Barclay/Laidlaw who jumps out as a captain.

For Edinburgh, Cochrane's a leader but not sure how much he'll play. Bresler probably a solid choice. Weir would be a out there choice, but I could see it working.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum