Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree adding 2+2 and gettting 5 would suggest that Fihaki and Scholes were the ones being talked about. I cant see them being any further from starting than they were last year.

Turner is a tricky one, he is not going to get enough game time with us and his style will probably suit Glasgow more. I cant help thinking that Mcinally moving would make more sense, he desperately needs a run of games and Brown being injured opens up opportunities for him. Also less likely to see us lose 2 players for internationals. Glasgow are also crying out for a ball carrying option in the back row, taking Rambo and using him there would not be the worst idea.

Turner could be first choice at Glasgow if he hits form until brown comes back.

Definitely, excellent opportunity for him but always hoped he made it here, I guess Turner is a bit too small for Cockers - like Harry Thacker.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Would like to think that we'll be making at least another couple of signings on the back of these changes.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Would like to think that we'll be making at least another couple of signings on the back of these changes.

Not sure there will be. The squad is already something like 40-42 strong.

Scholes joins 2 wingers leaving, and three have been brought in. McCann could potentially be used in an emergency.

Renwick has been brought in as an academy player and effectively replaces Turner.

We have plenty of back row options and Carmichael can cover 6 too. With 3 options for the back row in the academy with the likes of Crosbie an option.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 am

Squad is 43 after the 2 departures and Turner's loan factored in.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree adding 2+2 and gettting 5 would suggest that Fihaki and Scholes were the ones being talked about. I cant see them being any further from starting than they were last year.

According to contacts at Watsonians, Fihaki was a machine. Trained harder than anyone, was fitter than anyone, and would do whatever was asked of him. Does not sound like a player who'd not adapt.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:42 am

Any number of other reasons it didn't work out for them. Without asking them, we'll probably never know (and even then, they may not want to say).
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Wonder if Scholes and Fihaki are the ones that Cockerill alluded to in interview as not adapting to his ways and falling by the wayside.

Logically, you can think that, as well as Fihaki and Scholes, Turner was not Cockerill's cup of tea.
It's only a loan deal but if it works, he will probably stay there. And if it doesn't work, then there will have no good reason to rejoice to see him come back.

Good news for Renwick who could have an opportunity much more sooner than expected.
Good news for Miller too though he still has Mata, Dupreez, Bradbury and Ritchie ahead of him :o.
Good news for Graham.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 am

Thinking about Scholes, he came over hoping to become 1st choice wing. For whatever reason he played most of his rugby for Gala (I think?) last season and he has seen RC bring in a big Saffa winger, Graham get promoted and there are still last years 1st choices ahead of him.

It could simply be the case of both parties agreeing to move on.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Brought in Harries from London Scottish as well.

With Helu, Scholes and Allen (a better winger than centre) departing suggests someone, along with most fans, was not overly impressed with the our imported wingers.

Scholes came with a decent reputation at both wing and FB but had limited chances, which there must have been a reason for in the first instance especially as we were short at 15 on occasion, and then when he did get a chance he looked disinterested when you would expect the opposite, eager to impress and earn a run in the team.

Will be interesting to see Cockerills first few squads particularly when we get into the league (or conference) and who he makes Captain. We look to have struggled for on field leadership without the likes of a Roddy Grant or Mike Coman around. Other than maybe Freuan I am not sure anyone that has been brought in has the experience to even be considered and he is a back so unlikely to be captain. Wonder if Watson or one of the younger lads that have U20 captain experience will get given the nod. Anyone know who were Cockerills captains at Leicester?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Martin Corry
Geordan Murphy
Toby Flood
Ed Slater
Tom Youngs

Although I don't think Flood was ever anything other than a stand in tbh.

The thing is, Murphy learnt how to be a captain by playing under Corry. Corry learnt how to be a captain by playing for years under Martin Johnson. Johnson learnt how to be a captain by playing under Dean Richards.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 pm

It's certainly an interesting question. I'd like to see a leadership group identified and a club captain. My money would be on Fordy, primarily due to his experience and ability to command a place in the first choice XV. Other candidates will presumably emerge, depending on who impresses during pre-season and is seen by Cockers as a first choice.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Until his injury problems I had always rated Gilchrist as a captain. This year he was poor mainly due to the fact he struggled so badly for form. In the last couple of games I thought there were signs his form was returning which might put him back in the frame to captain the side.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am

Martin Bell wrote:It's certainly an interesting question. I'd like to see a leadership group identified and a club captain. My money would be on Fordy, primarily due to his experience and ability to command a place in the first choice XV. Other candidates will presumably emerge, depending on who impresses during pre-season and is seen by Cockers as a first choice.

Fordy doesn't come over as a captain type of leader to me. Gilchrist does, but he's got to find some form. Ritchie is a future captain IMO.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 am

Captain is a tough one to pick.

I'd leave Ford to get on with things, he's getting on a bit and will need managed over time.

GG seems like a candidate but he has been too injury prone to be named captain and he has a battle to be in the starting XV IMO.

There really aren't many stand out options, I think Watson could be a good shout by TFG above.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:45 am

A lot of coaches appear to see Gilchrist as captain but he looked a better player after getting a decent run in the team without the weight of captaincy, I have been impressed with McInallys communication, it is noticeable at Myreside how vocal he is with the team/ref when coming on, but it was also pretty evident when we were struggling in a game or when a game was there for the winning and we really needed leadership and direction we did not have it irrespective of who was on the pitch (except Cochrane perhaps).

I think with Cockerill coming in we need a fresh start and fresh leadership if there are other candidates in the squad who could step up. If we are winning leadership becomes easier and less of an issue.

Agree with Biffer that Ritchie looks to be a future leader but he needs to be a regular starter which I am not sure he is quite yet, Cockerill may think otherwise of course. Watson for me was the one player that gave 100% every time he took to the pitch last season, does not necessarily make for a good captain but if everyone played with the same attitude we may have won a few more games.

In summary we need a couple of good captain options but like all things winning matters most.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum