Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

royc wrote:Sorry to see Bresler leaving, he has consistently played well, often very well, for Embra. IIRC, he only got a one year extension last season and, as he will be 30 next year, it's understandable that he should look for a payday down south, pro rugby's a short career. I think he'll do well with Worcester and very best of luck to him.

My understanding is that, once you're qualified for a country by residency, you don't lose that status by moving, you remain qualified. Disco??

had he been "captured" ie capped he would stay SQ. He wasn't , so as soon as he moves he is lost. Its no big loss given how little he has featured this season. And I doubt in the circumstances he is getting a big pay day - released early as surplus to Edinburgh, uncapped; most teams spent up for this season and many already for next season. Any deal is a good deal for him
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I have one complaint only about Richard Cockerill, namely he is signing up new players and letting others go with such rapidity that I cannot keep up :lol:

Here's where I think we have got to:
Attachments
Edinburgh Squad, 2018-19 Rev size.png
Edinburgh Squad, 2018-19 Rev size.png (108.6 KiB) Viewed 8143 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Useful looking at that to realise the problems at prop. Looks like despite today's signing could be a problem at LH in February/March if-quite realistically-both Sutherland and Marfo are involved in the 6N. McCallum might need to be cloned!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 pm

biffer wrote:
New Gunner wrote:
doedin wrote:
Surprised we signed a LH given gaps at TH following Berghans brain fart but I suppose in McCallum we have a very good young prop who can play either side if required?

We have a LH crisis - Dickinson permacrocked, Dell just gone under the knife, Sutherland's arm in a sling post-1872 and Marfo's back problem persisting. So McCallum, who is primarily a tighthead, was our only LH-capable option. Suspect we will start v the Weegies with Lay at LH and McCallum at TH, with Bryce covering TH from the bench and McCallum covering LH. The only other bench option is Millar-Mills (TH), but not heard a peep about him since he signed so may be injured. He may also bench, but to a degree it's a waste of a spot as it's unlikely we'd have to bring on a third TH during the game. If McCallum gets injured it could get tricky, not least because Cockers clearly doesn't trust Bryce.

What about Shields? Seemed to play well enough Saturday.

No, I thought he had a terrible game and should be dropped from the 23.

OK OK I completely forgot about him :roll:
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Didnt realise that Sutherland picked up an injury as bad as you suggest! Any update on what is wrong with him?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

doedin wrote:Didnt realise that Sutherland picked up an injury as bad as you suggest! Any update on what is wrong with him?

Haven't heard anything, just saw that he was in a sling after the game. From his reaction on field it looked like the shoulder, sling could've been precautionary but my guess is he may be out a little while unfortunately...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Hurrell has re-signed for Bristol for another season, so he won't be coming here.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm

joe soap wrote:Hurrell has re-signed for Bristol for another season, so he won't be coming here.

Surprising insofar as the rumour mill has hitherto been more or less spot on regarding Embra incoming signings.

According to the Thistle podcast (excellent by the way), they have it on 'very good authority' (getting TonySpreadbury with some of the squad at Grand Cru on the 23rd) that Sam is off to Bristol. A real shame, as according to a host of commentators (i.e. Not just me) he's in a rich vein of form just now.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:13 pm

New Gunner wrote:
joe soap wrote:Hurrell has re-signed for Bristol for another season, so he won't be coming here.

Surprising insofar as the rumour mill has hitherto been more or less spot on regarding Embra incoming signings.

According to the Thistle podcast (excellent by the way), they have it on 'very good authority' (getting TonySpreadbury with some of the squad at Grand Cru on the 23rd) that Sam is off to Bristol. A real shame, as according to a host of commentators (i.e. Not just me) he's in a rich vein of form just now.

I hope it’s the same as Gray jnr in that it seemed to be one of those things that surface across the media as a contract comes up for negotiation
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:41 pm

New Gunner wrote:

I've thought it's inevitable he'd be off. The other two are under contract and an upgrade at the position is required overall.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

The thing is, what we need at scrum half is someone that can do what SH-C can do, but passes better.

Sammy's wee grubbers whilst on the run are better than most scrum halfs can manage
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The thing is, what we need at scrum half is someone that can do what SH-C can do, but passes better.

Sammy's wee grubbers whilst on the run are better than most scrum halfs can manage

I agree. IMO it's a shame that SHC is the one OOC. Short of releasing (and paying off) one of the other 2, then if we want to upgrade SHC seems the odd one out. I just hope any replacement is an upgrade.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Agree, if we are going to keep any of the 3 then Sammy is the one. Kennedy looked decent when he came on a few weeks ago but not really done much else.

I'm not sure we need an upgrade as such, I would happily have an on form Sammy as our first choice, however for the past 2 seasons that has been a rare sighting. Sadly I think his leaving may well co-incide with him returning to form. I don't see much of a future for Kennedy and to be honest I have no idea what GT sees in Fowles, he is a serviceable player but doesn't add a lot.

Rumours floating that Pyrgos is coming our way, I wouldn't be adverse to that at all, however If he is coming then it would be good to pair him with an SHC type of breaking scrum half, Fowles is a poor mans Pyrgos for me and too similar to be in the same squad.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm

So slow Henry, that would be a disaster
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm

The other thing about SH-C is his attitude on the park. I think he kept us in last week's game when it could have all gone down the pan quickly, when he got into a frank exchange of views with Price it got everyone piling in. From then on it was all about guts.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum