Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:35 pm

doedin wrote:And for every Manu and a Bressler there was a Blaauw, a Strauss, a Bezudenhoit, a Lutui, an Atiga, a Dominquez, a Leonardi, a McLennan, a Te Rure, a Katoa, an Andress and a Hilterbrand for example. The likes of Helu, Allen, Tovey, Fihaki, Rasolea and Scholes have hardly been a resounding success either.

Some of those had/have potential, the 2 Ulster lads for a start. You would not have signed Seymour for Glasgow if you applied your usual criteria.
The success rate when a player is signed from lower reaches is not usually high; don't know until they get exposed to full time training and playing at the higher level. Except you do, having declared before they come whether they are any good or not and refusing ever to change your original view; you only see whatever reinforces your prejudice. And illustrated when the likes of Francis goes on to success.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

doedin wrote: We got lucky with the Hardie signing I seem to remember which came through the SRU channels .

my sides are sore laughing!
Talk about confirmation bias

All non Scottish signings come via SRU channels, none can be signed without our DoRs agreement. he also heads up the non Scot recruitment for both pro teams, he leads it
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm

doedin wrote:Calm down and read my post! I say quite clearly that you thought him a Top 6 quality type of player and by definition that makes him, in your eyes anyway, more than just a hard working player. However I still contend that he had limitations as a player, probably the same ones that meant he never quite made it into the top level in NZ with only 1 super rugby appearance to his name by the time he was 24-25. Good luck for him trying his hand by coming to Embra and playing nearly 50 games for us over 3 seasons. Looks like he is doing ok with LI in the Championship too. He might get his chance to play in the premiership next season?

he would easily fit into a top 6 team in the pro12.

Tell me what you thought of Al Kellock? Was he, just as a player, an international standard lock, even a top 6 team lock?

Then tell me what you thought of Todd Blackadder as a player - was he really the best or even close) blindside in NZ in his day?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:35 pm

doedin wrote: Rhys Ruddock, Josh Van Der Flier, Peter o’Mahon, Donnacha Ryan, CJ Stander, Roger Wilson, Chris Henry, John Barclay, Shingler, Dan Bakers,Dan Lydia, Rob Harley, Josh Strauss, Ryan Wilson..

There are very good 6/8s below top 6. It might occur to some of us that the same player might look better in a top 6 team than in a bottom 6 team - and oddly vice versa. Your list is meaningless unless Edinburgh had the option of signing one of them

For info, Baker is a one trick pony, a lazy one who makes as many errors as the whole current Edinburgh pack put together -I'd take Coman any day. Ryan is a lock pressed into service at 6, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't - I'd rather have Coman at 6. Ruddock isn't a first pick and is no better than Coman. Roger Wilson is also on the way out and well past his sell by date. Lydiate another one trick pony who has been nullified by no arm tackles being penalised.
As someone else said Coman could have been Edinburgh's Rob Harley, with better leadership. In fact he was just that.

What you have yet again demonstrated here is that you have fixed views based not on observation but on fantasy football manager levels of insight. And no real knowledge of other pro12 sides
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Nasi Manu was the Super 15 captain of the Landers and didn't help bring up spirits instead he was in the press saying the mentality isn't right, Coman was a leader too and you didn't like him at all doedin!

Cockerill and the young guys will drive the standards, maybe he knows a few guys from England who will help but going to the SH looking for leaders quite clearly has failed.

I think Doedin was referring to scrum half rather than Southern Hemisphere when he said that 'SH would be a good place to start, hence the reference to Pienaar (who I appreciate is both).

I suspect Pienaar would be out of reach budget-wise, but having someone at scrum half who can control games, lead and spread composure through the team is a good call, given that position controls the pace and tactics to a degree. Can't think of a likely candidate as a player, but with the coaching changes at Glasgow Then maybe there's the opportunity for Mike Blair to come home?

Ah fair enough, I agree that scrum half is a glaring need.

Pienaar would be absolutely ideal as he also covers 10 and can coach a bit. He was going to Montpellier then Sarries but it's gone quiet so maybe he's looking for a good place to move his family and Edinburgh could fit that bill. I'd maybe look at moving SHC on as I really don't think he'll rediscover his mojo at Edinburgh as we have Fraser and Shiel coming along.

Blair definitely should join as attack coach, he's the kind of coach we need - Edinburgh guy, knows the game inside out and is apparently a good skills coach. Glasgow have Rennie and O'Halloran I'm sure they'll make do...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Honestly, i'm not far off doedin's views on Coman. A very limited player who I think is getting more praise than some pretty average performances (in a very poor side) deserve. Certainly I remember our team back then looked pretty shapeless and weak about the park with him in it, and how much of the deterioration since is down to the fact that Hodge is an even worse coach than Solomons?

I don't think this difference of opinion on Coman is really worth some of the anger here though.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm

gowrie wrote:
I don't think this difference of opinion on Coman is really worth some of the anger here though.

Aye agreed. Ancient history now
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Do folk think there are signings in the pipeline and they are being held back for opportune moment to announce with Cockerill able to front them or is this just wishful thinking? Not hearing any gossip either. Should we be concerned?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

doedin wrote:Do folk think there are signings in the pipeline and they are being held back for opportune moment to announce with Cockerill able to front them or is this just wishful thinking? Not hearing any gossip either. Should we be concerned?

I heard a rumour that Mike Coman was re-signing :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Good news - him and James Hilterbrand will sort us out!

:lol: :lol:
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm

If the above are possible, then maybe we should bring Rory Hutton back... :bonk:
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:If the above are possible, then maybe we should bring Rory Hutton back... :bonk:

Way-hay! Now why didn't I think of that!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Nurse! He's out of bed again!
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Bring back Jack Gilding I say..........

Or that winger that never got past the toenails.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am

ratty wrote:Bring back Jack Gilding I say..........

He's at London Welsh so probably sitting 1st reserve for a Lions call up :lol:
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum