Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby germain on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

biffer wrote:
highlighting 9s, 10s, 12s and lineout callers as leaders in the team. So SHC, Weir, Freauan and Toolis are the obvious people being referred to. Also an interesting bit of info on where he sees the game being run from.

I would say HC, Weir, Toolis and Burleigh because Fruean's opinion on Bradbury is not very conclusive at the moment : it's a bit early ! But what is clear too is that none of the 9/10/12 and second-rowers have guaranted spot. And there will be a fierce fight between Ritchie, Mata, Bradbury and Du Preez for the the 6/8 spots.
I don't know if hookers are implied in the "lineout callers", but if not, three of our last captains are totally forgotten : Ford, McInally and Cocharne.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:05 pm

germain wrote:
biffer wrote:
highlighting 9s, 10s, 12s and lineout callers as leaders in the team. So SHC, Weir, Freauan and Toolis are the obvious people being referred to. Also an interesting bit of info on where he sees the game being run from.

I would say HC, Weir, Toolis and Burleigh because Fruean's opinion on Bradbury is not very conclusive at the moment : it's a bit early ! But what is clear too is that none of the 9/10/12 and second-rowers have guaranted spot. And there will be a fierce fight between Ritchie, Mata, Bradbury and Du Preez for the the 6/8 spots.
I don't know if hookers are implied in the "lineout callers", but if not, three of our last captains are totally forgotten : Ford, McInally and Cocharne.

Toolis calls the line out.

It's not leadership that concerns me with Bradbury as there's a lot of leaders, it's making the correct decision on the pitch when there's a lot of pressure on.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

It's not leadership that concerns me with Bradbury as there's a lot of leaders, it's making the correct decision on the pitch when there's a lot of pressure on.

It's so much about systems now that the two things a captain has to do is get the ref to listen to what Edinburgh are saying through Bradbury, and keeping heads up. Most of the decisions are made on the training pitch before the game, and you go through every possible scenario, it really boils down to taking the points when within range or going for the corner when you get a penalty, or taking a scrum when you are obviously on top.

The players have all pointed out how detailed RC is - in an article posted here the other day Roddy Grant said he thought he was detailed until he came across Cockers. It will all be pre-planned and guys like Weir, Gilcho and Fordy etc will be expected to help Bradbury out.

Overall I think it's a good decision, Bradbury will be a Jason White type leader, maybe not all shouty, but breaking the gainline and expecting others to follow
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Toolis calls the line out.

Even with Gilchrist on?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:06 am

I think B Toolis has been our lineout caller certainly last season and A Toolis was before him.

Sounds like Cockerill discussed Bradburys appointment with his “senior group” I am assuming this to be the senior players Dickinson, Ford, Cochrane, McKenzie etc so rather than disregarding them has sought their input.

Bradbury as captain feels like a good call but proof will be seen on the pitch, however as has been said the Captains decision have only been a small part of our problem in the past. We have had 9s box kick in attacking positions (and just badly), 10s kick/miss pass away overlaps, lineouts called to the back when 5 metres out and it is TonySpreadbury with rain etc it is getting the players in those positions making the right decisions and then executing the plays well that is just as important as Bradbury taking the 3 or kicking for the corner at the right time.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am

germain wrote:
biffer wrote:

If there's a lot of leaders, why have we looked so utterly leaderless so many times in the last few years?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 pm

biffer wrote:

If there's a lot of leaders, why have we looked so utterly leaderless so many times in the last few years?

Depends who is on the pitch, I generally think if guys like McInally and Gilchrist are there it's okay. If both find form and stay fit they can help Bradbury, as does Toolis running the line out, Ford knows his onions on a field for Bradbury to lean on, a lot of the under20 previous captains are now with Edinburgh. You'll have SHC & Weir nailing down a gameplan this year which has been missing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 pm

biffer wrote:

Depends who is on the pitch, I generally think if guys like McInally and Gilchrist are there it's okay. If both find form and stay fit they can help Bradbury, as does Toolis running the line out, Ford knows his onions on a field for Bradbury to lean on, a lot of the under20 previous captains are now with Edinburgh. You'll have SHC & Weir nailing down a gameplan this year which has been missing.

You seem to have been watching a different team from me.

Ford, McInally, Gilchrist all on the pitch for 21-6 loss to Treviso. And the 19-22 home loss to Connacht. Gilchrist was in when we capitulated to Cardiff at home. McInally and Gilchrist involved in the 9-13 loss at home to Ospreys. McInally there for the 9-10 home loss to Munster. And for the thumping away to Dragons (Dragons ffs). And the piece de resistance, all three there for the absolutely gutless home loss to Zebre.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 pm

It's a new season - are we not supposed to have a bit of optimism?
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

biffer wrote:
biffer wrote:If there's a lot of leaders, why have we looked so utterly leaderless so many times in the last few years?

Ford, McInally, Gilchrist all on the pitch for 21-6 loss to Treviso. And the 19-22 home loss to Connacht. Gilchrist was in when we capitulated to Cardiff at home. McInally and Gilchrist involved in the 9-13 loss at home to Ospreys. McInally there for the 9-10 home loss to Munster. And for the thumping away to Dragons (Dragons ffs). And the piece de resistance, all three there for the absolutely gutless home loss to Zebre.

Most of those games under Hodge when there wasn't even the semblance of a cohesive gameplan to enact on the field. Won't have that this year at all.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 am

biffer wrote:

Most of those games under Hodge when there wasn't even the semblance of a cohesive gameplan to enact on the field. Won't have that this year at all.

I specifically chose those games because they were all very winnable on the day, and it came down to on pitch leadership making the difference. To give all those guys a free pass and blame it all on coaching is ridiculous.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am

I specifically chose those games because they were all very winnable on the day, and it came down to on pitch leadership making the difference. To give all those guys a free pass and blame it all on coaching is ridiculous.[/quote]

I agree with Biffer, we have been far too happy to explain away poor performances from experienced players in the past. They have failed in any number of matches in the past to step up to the plate and take control of a game regardless of the quality (or lack of) of our coaching staff. However I am more optimistic this season mainly because our new coach will not tolerate this from experienced players. If they dont deliver they will disappear into the ether and he will not have the slightest hesitation in fielding the younger guys who will try their guts out. I suspect we will see one or two of our more senior and experienced players fail to meet Cockerill's standards and be sidelined and eventually moved on. One thing is certain if anyone doesn't meet Cockerill's standards they will not last long, I suspect a few of our more experienced players who have settled into an easy life at Embra will find it very uncomfortable this season. Some will rise to the challenge, some will not.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Most of those games under Hodge when there wasn't even the semblance of a cohesive gameplan to enact on the field. Won't have that this year at all.

however bad the gameplan and however poor the coaching Edinburgh were in a position to win those games. Any team with any semblance of leadership, whether the lead by example and taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or just by inspiring and organising, even clear decision making would have won those matches (most of them anyway).

So I agree with Biffer, even if it means agreeing with doedin.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 am

biffer wrote:If there's a lot of leaders, why have we looked so utterly leaderless so many times in the last few years?

spot on.

I still think Cochrane is the best fit as a captain we have, but accept he probably isn't going to start much. I am also convinced that some of last seasons losses would have been wins had we managed to keep Coman.

Bradbury needs to become a talisman - to demand the ball time and again if he is going to lead by example
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

joe soap wrote:

spot on.

I still think Cochrane is the best fit as a captain we have, but accept he probably isn't going to start much. I am also convinced that some of last seasons losses would have been wins had we managed to keep Coman.

And now I find myself agreeing with joe soap.

It is the end of times.... :)
bignose
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum