Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Only point I'd make is Fenton's a full-time pro, not academy. Not a huge difference given he only signed less than two months ago though.

Thinking on it, the big thing will be which locks we have available, if Bresler and McKenzie are there I'd be a lot less worried about a younger front row.

Also just remembered that someone here thought Dickinson was back in training or close to it. Could he be ready for the bench in just over two weeks?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 pm

gowrie wrote:Only point I'd make is Fenton's a full-time pro, not academy. Not a huge difference given he only signed less than two months ago though.

Thinking on it, the big thing will be which locks we have available, if Bresler and McKenzie are there I'd be a lot less worried about a younger front row.

Also just remembered that someone here thought Dickinson was back in training or close to it. Could he be ready for the bench in just over two weeks?

You're right, my mistake - he's not listed in the ER squad on the website, but he did sign a pro contract. I wondered about Dickinson for the same reason, from memory only one person mentioned it with no supporting evidence, that said very much hope they're right. Would be worried about 'rushing' him back if not 110% though, given last time.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I wonder if it came to it and say Berghan was released of we'd then see Bryce as sub hooker. Though tour to throw a young hooker into.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Given his switch to TH has been somewhat less than successful and Glasgow have a shortage of hookers it may be in everyones interest he heads back along the M8 to be a hooker again.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Would make sense for him to cover hooker to be honest.

Sadly his change hasn't really worked out. It was probably a bit late when he made it as eh really needed a year playing club rugby before going anywhere near the Edinburgh squad. They handled Rambo far better and took the pressure off him. We just don't have enough room in squads to carry players who aren't available to play though.

Interestingly his style of play would actually suit Glasgow now and he may not be any worse in the scrum than Rae or Fagerson. If all our guys got fit it would make sense for him to move on.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:14 pm

What are the chances of Cockers calling his mates at Leicester/the AP and asking for a loan a la Rizzo? Would be interesting if say Jake Kerr was allowed to tour with Edinburgh for two weeks.

This will be an incredibly tough tour, we'll certainly get a bit of a doing by the Cheetahs, Kings just might get one over on us too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:31 pm

The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Sheil maybe going to SA?

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/1 ... -next-step

Good luck to the guy

I wish we had Mike Blair coaching him
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby minlay89 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Rumour from rossouwdj on twitter - he usually posts Cheetahs/SA rugby stuff (no idea how reliable his source is)
To all my Edinburgh followers

'The secret about where the Lion flyhalf Jaco van der Walt will continue his rugby career has been clarified.
Van der Walt has signed a contract to play for Edinburgh in Scotland for the next three years.
Edinburgh play in Pro14 league'
minlay89
Embra Debut

Postby BigD163 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Sheil maybe going to SA?

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/1 ... -next-step

Good luck to the guy

I wish we had Mike Blair coaching him

I thought one of the things Blair had within his remit was speacilist coaching for 9s?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:12 pm

There are rumours on Twitter that we have signed fly half Jaco van der Walt.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:15 pm

robdinsdale wrote:There are rumours on Twitter that we have signed fly half Jaco van der Walt.

Saw that, apparently three year deal from the Lions - does he sign for the end of this year and become a project player before the 5 year rule comes in I wonder?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm

New Gunner wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:There are rumours on Twitter that we have signed fly half Jaco van der Walt.

Saw that, apparently three year deal from the Lions - does he sign for the end of this year and become a project player before the 5 year rule comes in I wonder?

Three year deal says project player to me.

Edit: he's already been released by the Lions so you would think he would be here by the end of the year.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah, SA reports say he's out of the Lions squad, so it seems a lot like a last minute residency grab. Don't know anything about him, so I have no idea if he's a realistic test cap or not.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:55 pm

From a interwebz search he looks to be highly rated in SA, back up 10 to Jantjies and covers 15 appears to be a bit of a surprise he was released. Lions played some really good rugby last couple of season so he could potentially be a very good signing if confirmed and possibly available now to join up when the squad travels out in a couple of weeks?

The 23-year-old pivot was arguably the biggest name on the list of players whose contracts weren’t renewed.
“These things are a reality,” said Rudolf Straeuli, the Lions’ chief executive.
“The budgets are really tight in the current economic climate. People also need to realise that some of these cases aren’t necessarily cost-saving measures. Sometimes one simply couldn’t come to agreeable terms with a player.”
That doesn’t mean Van der Walt’s absence isn’t a big surprise.
He’s always been highly rated by head coach Swys de Bruin, particularly for his ability to play fullback as well.
In fact, some observers believe that’s still his best position.

and

Johannesburg - The Lions have announced the release of 18 players whose contracts were not renewed.
The biggest names on the list are fullback/flyhalf Jaco van der Walt and loose forward Fabian Booysen.
Van der Walt’s brother, Gerdus - who has played centre for the Lions - has also been released by the union.
Rudolf Straeuli, CEO of Lions Rugby Company, wished all the players the “very best for their future endeavours”.
With Coetzee moving on, the Lions will be looking for a flyhalf to provide back-up for No 10 incumbent Elton Jantjies.

Players released by the Lions:

Adre Smit, Bader Pretorius, Barend Smith, Curtis Jonas, Divan Henning, Fabian Booyen, Gerdus van der Walt, Gideon Botha, Jaco van der Walt, Jacobus Tredoux, JP du Preez, Le Roux Baard, Lincoln Daniels, MC de Jongh, Morney Moos, Rheyno Potgieter, Runan Venter, Wihan Jacobs
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum