Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Wottie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

gowrie wrote:And on to other, bass-less topics

The rumour mill has us strongly linked to Bristol centre Will Hurrell. Big unit plays 12/13, apparently a good defender, but Bristol fans think he's mostly unable to throw a decent pass.

Hoki, we can probably de-bait whether we need to invest further for the centre, with out them being jammed in like sardines. In all seriousness, I think we are fine at centre if JJ is retained and with Bennett and Freuan to come back. However there are 4 out of contract at the end of the season in; Burleigh, Rasolea, Deans and Galbraith. Would certainly like to see Burleigh and Deans retained. Still can't make up my mind about Rasolea!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Wottie wrote:
gowrie wrote:And on to other, bass-less topics

The rumour mill has us strongly linked to Bristol centre Will Hurrell. Big unit plays 12/13, apparently a good defender, but Bristol fans think he's mostly unable to throw a decent pass.

Hoki, we can probably de-bait whether we need to invest further for the centre, with out them being jammed in like sardines. In all seriousness, I think we are fine at centre if JJ is retained and with Bennett and Freuan to come back. However there are 4 out of contract at the end of the season in; Burleigh, Rasolea, Deans and Galbraith. Would certainly like to see Burleigh and Deans retained. Still can't make up my mind about Rasolea!

I would keep Deans and Galbraith. With a few young centres on the books and a lot of money tied up in Fruean and Bennett I am on the fence about Burleigh. At 31 I wouldn't be offering a long term deal.

To progress forward we need to find the right time to let people go. It is tricky to judge but Rasolea seems an obvious candidate to me.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Wottie wrote:Can't quite decide whether to get involved in all this fish pun chat. Need to Mullet over!

Edinburgh have been minnows long enough, time to swim with the big fish
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 pm

What on earth do we need another centre for (ok putting aside the OOC's for next season question admittedly?
Strangely (for Edinburgh) pretty well everyone there-apart from Bennett who should be ready before the end of December hopefully- has both played well in some matches and is fit. Seems odd that Fruean hasn't had a look in during recent weeks yet not listed as injured. Perhaps not to Cocherill's liking?
Assuming Johnstone given a 15's contract we are very well covered with Dean,Burleigh,Rasaoliae,Johnstone,Fruean and Bennett (with Bryce able to cover)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Agree we don't need another centre now, but we might at the end of the season.

What we are missing is s big lump who can smash holes in a defence, especially if Rasolea is off.

Hopefully this is not linked to Fruaen not playing recently, I cant figure out whay he would be left out, he looked a different class when he did play, albeit lacking match fitness.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree we don't need another centre now, but we might at the end of the season.

What we are missing is s big lump who can smash holes in a defence, especially if Rasolea is off.

Hopefully this is not linked to Fruaen not playing recently, I cant figure out whay he would be left out, he looked a different class when he did play, albeit lacking match fitness.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I keep thinking "Nasi Manu" whenever I notice the absence of Fruean's name on the teamsheet
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Wottie wrote:Can't quite decide whether to get involved in all this fish pun chat. Need to Mullet over!

Me either. I'll just Perch here and watch.

I prefer to carp from the sidelines, until you all tuna-out.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Is it purely coincidence Fruean hasn't played since Cockers wielded the axe post treviso defeat saying he only wanted guys commited to Edinburgh?

Unless I missed an injury report.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree we don't need another centre now, but we might at the end of the season.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I keep thinking "Nasi Manu" whenever I notice the absence of Fruean's name on the teamsheet

Still hoping that Robbie will prove to be the Deadliest Catch after catching a crab himself, but there's plenty more fish in the sea I suppose.

We currently have so many centres that we may be exceeding our TAC and I am opposed on moral grounds to bycatch. Don't think it's the time to be casting the net any wider - even to reel in a Shark. That said, it might be worth having a trawl later in the season if we're likely to see a 'one that got away' scenario with players out of contract.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 am

liveinhope wrote:What on earth do we need another centre for (ok putting aside the OOC's for next season question admittedly?
Strangely (for Edinburgh) pretty well everyone there-apart from Bennett who should be ready before the end of December hopefully- has both played well in some matches and is fit. Seems odd that Fruean hasn't had a look in during recent weeks yet not listed as injured. Perhaps not to Cocherill's liking?
Assuming Johnstone given a 15's contract we are very well covered with Dean,Burleigh,Rasaoliae,Johnstone,Fruean and Bennett (with Bryce able to cover)

We absolutely need a 12 - that has to be one of our priorities. We only have Burleigh and Rasolea (and he will surely be off). I'd love it if we could take one of Kelly or MacDowall from Glasgow. Plus one experienced signing whether it's Hurrell or whoever.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am

Anyone got the list of out of contract players handy, been trying to find it without success?

Barclay linked to us again, on a rumoured 3yr deal.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am

macdone wrote:We absolutely need a 12 - that has to be one of our priorities. We only have Burleigh and Rasolea (and he will surely be off). I'd love it if we could take one of Kelly or MacDowall from Glasgow. Plus one experienced signing whether it's Hurrell or whoever.

Don't agree on that, even Bennett who's the most like an out and out 13 in the squad has played 12 for Glasgow in the past. Dean, Galbraith and Fruean can all play at 12 in addition to Burleigh and Rasolea.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Anyone got the list of out of contract players handy, been trying to find it without success?

Barclay linked to us again, on a rumoured 3yr deal.

Here you go

P: Bryce, Marfo
H: Cochrane, Fenton, McInally, Turner
L: Bresler, Carmichael, Toolis
BR: du Preez, Hardie, Mata
SH: Hidalgo-Clyne
FH: Tovey, Weir
C: Burleigh, Dean, Galbraith, Rasolea
B3: Bryce, Harries, Hoyland
Coach: Hodge
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am

I have the same list of 22 OOC at end-season, so it looks pretty accurate.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 am

Thank you.

Could be in for an interesting renewal period as Cockerill starts to shape things more his way could be some relatively high profile departures.

I think we usually get the first re-signing news around the 1872 build up, at the top of my list would be McInally, DuPreez, and Toolis.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum