Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:41 pm

I would expect a guy who has 30 soup rugby games over a few seasons to be better than Rasolea has shown. You are right Tofilau was a punt but he is ahead of Rasolea which doesn't say much for him. He has a similar level of Experience as Burliegh albeit in a weaker team but he should be doing better.

I was meaning Glenn Bryce rather than Kevin, he has been the biggest disappointment for me. He looked very sharp at Glasgow and just hasnt delivered here yet. Kevin, has been badly handled, but again he was brought to do a job in international windows and hasnt done it, I am not saying it is his fault.

In terms of filler, we have a whole backline. In terms of international class, we really dont have anyone. We have potential with Kignhorn, SHC and Hoyland . You can possibly add Dean in there and thats about it. Weir and Burleigh are top end club players at the rest are as you say filler. If you compare it for example to the back lines of the Welsh teams and Connaght we are miles behind. Forwards are slightly different but many of them are very young and in the potential bracket. Bresler and MzKenzie are in the similar level to Weir and Burleigh, no problem with them in the team but you need a bit more quality to get to the top end of the table. Mcallum, Cosgrove, Ritchie and Bradbury are still developing but have been asked to take on some senior roles in the team due to injury.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:42 pm

I'll say it again, I genuinely believe the Murrayfield effect has a lot to do with this. Sooner we're out of there the better - for matches and training (I'd move our training to the centre at Heriot Watt when it's completed).
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I would expect a guy who has 30 soup rugby games over a few seasons to be better than Rasolea has shown. You are right Tofilau was a punt but he is ahead of Rasolea which doesn't say much for him. He has a similar level of Experience as Burliegh albeit in a weaker team but he should be doing better.

I was meaning Glenn Bryce rather than Kevin, he has been the biggest disappointment for me. He looked very sharp at Glasgow and just hasnt delivered here yet. Kevin, has been badly handled, but again he was brought to do a job in international windows and hasnt done it, I am not saying it is his fault.

In terms of filler, we have a whole backline. In terms of international class, we really dont have anyone. We have potential with Kignhorn, SHC and Hoyland . You can possibly add Dean in there and thats about it. Weir and Burleigh are top end club players at the rest are as you say filler. If you compare it for example to the back lines of the Welsh teams and Connaght we are miles behind. Forwards are slightly different but many of them are very young and in the potential bracket. Bresler and MzKenzie are in the similar level to Weir and Burleigh, no problem with them in the team but you need a bit more quality to get to the top end of the table. Mcallum, Cosgrove, Ritchie and Bradbury are still developing but have been asked to take on some senior roles in the team due to injury.

Guys from the Australian teams that aren't Australian internationals are always going to be risky. I agree with Glenn Bryce but he did only play against the weaker sides during international breaks.

Hoyland is one of the better wingers in the league I think, a very good Pro12 player. Kinghorn and SHC are talented and on their day game winning types. I agree that Weir and Burleigh may not be internationals - I still have hopes for Weir - but I think both are comfortably good enough to get their team in the top6. I think Brown and Dean are steady players and if the rest are firing we'll be fine. Our pack was meant to be the strength of the team and I think that's where the main issue lies because the pack haven't won us as many games as they should.

Connacht have a really well drilled side that play the right way and nobody wants to go to the Sportsground, their test is when Lam leaves.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:29 pm

biffer wrote:I'll say it again, I genuinely believe the Murrayfield effect has a lot to do with this. Sooner we're out of there the better - for matches and training (I'd move our training to the centre at Heriot Watt when it's completed).

Are they building something else there in addition to the (newly opened) Oriam?
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Martin Bell wrote:
biffer wrote:I'll say it again, I genuinely believe the Murrayfield effect has a lot to do with this. Sooner we're out of there the better - for matches and training (I'd move our training to the centre at Heriot Watt when it's completed).

Are they building something else there in addition to the (newly opened) Oriam?

Didn't realise it was fully operational, that's the place I mean.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Bradbury signed on a 3yr deal

Good news and about time there were some announced
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:50 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Bradbury signed on a 3yr deal

Good news and about time there were some announced

Fantastic news.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Great News!

However they always soften us up with some good news first! We need a dozen more announcements like this!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Ford off apparently - Sale mentioned?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:06 pm

George not Ross
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Maybe George is coming to us. He's been linked to pretty much everyone else...
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Maybe George is coming to us. He's been linked to pretty much everyone else...

Your right wrong Ford - although can’t see George coming to us, Sale apparently offering £500k plus!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Updated the OP with the Bradbury news. Great to finally get some signings underway, even more when it's someone with as much talent as Bradbury.

Now just need some news of Nel extending as we bask in the afterglow of beating Glasgow yet again.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:07 pm

2yr extension for kinghorn...more good news!

But not sure about this "wants" to stay sounds like there is a but somewhere

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38421129
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:35 pm

biffer wrote:
disco wrote:Here's the latest squad Depth Chart as we head towards the midpoint of the season:

http://wp.me/p68WtH-4rm

Disagree with a couple of things tbh. McCallum is NOT 5th choice at TH, given he's been playing ahead of Beavon and for most people would be ahead of Bryce as well. I think Bradbury is first choice at 6 now as well. As for scrum half, anyone's guess tbh. I think most of us would put Bresler as first choice at lock.

McCallum - fair call. Though I still think Bryce is likely to be given another shot once he's fit again.

Bradbury - I swithered on the 6 and 8. Hodge seems keen on Manu at 8 which left me with CDP and Bradbury for blindside. My thinking was CDP has no form to speak of but he's been a go to selection for big games. Great options for you to have whatever way you rank them though!

Scrum half - a few weeks ago I had Kennedy top of the pile but SHC seems to have moved back into something approaching form.

Bresler - Toolis has been one of your form players for the last 18 months so he was actually the first lock I put in. Straight fight then between Gilchrist and Bresler and I didn't see Hodge leaving out the man who was very nearly Scotland captain. Would a Gilchrist / Bresler first choice pairing work? Are they too similar in what they contribute?
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum