Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Good article on Marfo on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42100804

He's had some journey this season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 am

Its strange some some players seem to grow when asked to step up and other shrink. Maybe at 27 he has just matured as prop?

Also some players just seem to find their "fit" at a certain club where they haven't in the past and it all just clicks for them. If you are a believer in fate then there is a huge amount of it in this story. So many variables had to drop the right way for him to win a cap, yet they all did.

I have to admit to being sceptical when he was signed, after his first couple of games, when he was called up and when he was selected. He certainly hasn't let Scotland down and his work at the breakdown has been a huge benefit as well as power in the tackle/carry.

Interesting choices for Edinburgh if/when Dell/Dicko/Sutherland are fit and all will be fighting for contracts.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Good article on Marfo on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42100804

He gave it one more shot. He'd heard that Edinburgh were in need of an emergency loose-head, so he got in touch with Jon Petrie, the club's managing director.
"I emailed him. That's unusual in this day and age because agents normally do that stuff, but I was reading a business book at the time about how to stand out from the crowd. This guy flew halfway across America to turn up in person for a job interview when it was supposed to be a telephone interview.

"I wasn't quite ready to fly up to Scotland from London, but what's the next best thing? I'll send him an email. He replied really promptly. That was great of him because I sent a few other emails and I didn't get any replies."

Tks. A great story, fairy tale stuff.

Now what has Petrie ever done for Edinburgh? Where is Mr IPA?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:11 pm

SQ programme converts 'gifted' age-grade Rugby League captain

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/17/11 ... ue-captain
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Tichtheid wrote:SQ programme converts 'gifted' age-grade Rugby League captain

Good potential signing, building the squad for the long-term which is a nice change.

Don't 100% know what all the signing with the SQ programme means. Is he in the academy now or a full-time senior player? If the latter he must have been pretty impressive, and probably a chance to see what he can do for the U20s this season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Tichtheid wrote:SQ programme converts 'gifted' age-grade Rugby League captain

Interesting one. Hopefully he makes a real go of the opportunity and comes through the academy. Good Scottish name though...
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 pm

I found a highlights reel from last year, looks like he has some real gas, can really hit in the tackle and has a decent boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcV0nciyaLo
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 am

No way is he 86kg.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 am

Frenchy wrote:No way is he 86kg.

Big boned.

He looks quite solid, though I have no real way of guessing, it's been some time since I weighed 86kg, actually I was somewhat more than that at 18

However, they do tend to exaggerate these weights for some reason
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

Is he joining the Academy or the squad? I read a news piece earlier this morning, perhaps on the ER site, don't remember, which talked about this being Cockerill's first signing under the SQ programme, but that seems to have disappeared or been altered now. If he is joining the Academy, it is unusual that the official story doesn't say so, likewise if he's joining the squad, it's unusual that it doesn't say how long the contract is for.

I'm going to guess that he's earmarked for the squad, once he's re-acquainted with Union.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Interesting signing.

Certainly not clear if it is a pro or academy deal but to me it reads more like he is on a pro deal. Kinghorn and Ritchie were a similar age when they first played pro but they obviously did not have to convert from League will be interesting to see how he transitions.

Do these recent no10 signings (3 all 23 or under) suggest there is not much coming through the academies at stand-off likely to make the grade any time soon?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Do these recent no10 signings (3 all 23 or under) suggest there is not much coming through the academies at stand-off likely to make the grade any time soon?

Probably, at least on our side. There are some young 10s playing in the Prem, Dewhirst, Thompson, Brunton, and Fox are all U20s this season and regulars, but none in the senior academy yet.

Don't know why the Scottish system is so terrible at producing 10s, Russell came through the U20s in 2012 and he's the most recent product that's actually made an impact at pro level. Since then we've relied on exiles.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:05 pm

gowrie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Do these recent no10 signings (3 all 23 or under) suggest there is not much coming through the academies at stand-off likely to make the grade any time soon?

Probably, at least on our side. There are some young 10s playing in the Prem, Dewhirst, Thompson, Brunton, and Fox are all U20s this season and regulars, but none in the senior academy yet.

Don't know why the Scottish system is so terrible at producing 10s, Russell came through the U20s in 2012 and he's the most recent product that's actually made an impact at pro level. Since then we've relied on exiles.

...and it has to be pointed out he didn't go to the academy.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Think it was the EQP program when Russell was young and there was so few of them in that system.

Josh Henderson is a senior academy player to be fair.

Thompson played for the East under 20s and went to Stew Mel. Presumably just went to Glasgow for university like Hunter-Hill.

It'll be interesting to see who goes at 10 for the under 20s this year though.

Also tighthead and 10 seems to be the position most countries struggle with (aside from England and NZ) so it is understandable.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 am

2 tries for Darcy Graham in the first 7s match by France.

Hope we get to see him in 15s soon
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum