Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby biffer on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 am

Positive noises

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40575059

Pretty much an admission that there were a lot of things wrong last year.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 am

Will Helu's signed for Timisoara Saracens, under new coach Matt Williams...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

biffer wrote:Positive noises

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40575059

Pretty much an admission that there were a lot of things wrong last year.

Sounds like RC is putting good structures in place that players can buy into. Full hard days, half days etc.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:53 pm

"Monday, Wednesday, Friday are long days and Tuesday, Thursday are half-days. There are no easy days but he's getting that balance right.

"I think that was missing last season, maybe we were a little bit laid back.

You think Glenn!

Perhaps that is why under pressure almost every move, period of pressure ended in an error last season as half of you looked like you didn't give a SteveWalsh for 50mins of every match.

Article talks of training under fatigue and pressure etc - what exactly have they been doing the last few seasons jogging about throwing behind the back passes just have a laugh.

Boils my TonySpreadbury, would rather no talk of past seasons wrongs and just get on the pitch and prove they are a better squad of players than they have shown to date.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:"Monday, Wednesday, Friday are long days and Tuesday, Thursday are half-days. There are no easy days but he's getting that balance right.

You think Glenn!

Perhaps that is why under pressure almost every move, period of pressure ended in an error last season as half of you looked like you didn't give a SteveWalsh for 50mins of every match.

Article talks of training under fatigue and pressure etc - what exactly have they been doing the last few seasons jogging about throwing behind the back passes just have a laugh.

Boils my TonySpreadbury, would rather no talk of past seasons wrongs and just get on the pitch and prove they are a better squad of players than they have shown to date.

Different leaders, different philosophy, isn't it? They all come in and put their stamp on training in one way or another. I remember Solly not being impressed with the fitness and intensity levels when he came in, and wanting to improve them. But, we ended up with a group of players very well prepared for an arm wrestle and not much else. You can guess where Hodge's priorities were, as we started being able to play with freedom and actually scored tries from open and broken play, but the focus and mental fortitude seemingly disappeared.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:53 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:"Monday, Wednesday, Friday are long days and Tuesday, Thursday are half-days. There are no easy days but he's getting that balance right.

You think Glenn!

Different leaders, different philosophy, isn't it? They all come in and put their stamp on training in one way or another. I remember Solly not being impressed with the fitness and intensity levels when he came in, and wanting to improve them. But, we ended up with a group of players very well prepared for an arm wrestle and not much else. You can guess where Hodge's priorities were, as we started being able to play with freedom and actually scored tries from open and broken play, but the focus and mental fortitude seemingly disappeared.

Solly seemed quite old school with fitness when S&C has come miles since I think as the team didn't look in the best shape with Solly. Be interesting to see what Lumley manages as last year the players were definitely unfit and he's very highly rated.

It's interesting that he has them having breakfast together, sounds very old school - had no idea they still did that stuff. I like the sound of it, hopefully it's a brutal pre season. It's promising Bryce has said Cockers wants to play an open game - looking forward to an interview with Cockers on the website this week.

Certainly think we're in for a very good season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 pm

If you can't feel optimistic pre season especially with a new coach etc then perhaps your glass with remain half empty.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 am

the Bryce interview is a pretty standard pre season piece with a new coach coming in - of course its positive, would serious worry if it wasn't!
S&C these days is directed to achieve how the coach wants to play, down to the S&C guys to deliver that. When it appears to be wrong it can be poor S&C or poor coach decision. Hard to pin down last season as I couldn't usually work out how Edinburgh wanted to play.

Cockerill brought in Mauger to Tigers because I think he wanted to be more expansive, he knew a big pack can onto take you so far these days, and he signed some backs clearly with that in mind down there.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Just had a look at the squad for this season as it currently stands which looks well set with nearly 83% Scottish Qualified.

Total Squad contracted to date - 46
Scottish Qualified Squad Members - 38 (Note: assumes Burleigh and Bresler are there through residency)
Non Qualified Players - Fihaki, Harries, Mata, Rasolea, Scholes, Tovey, Fruean & Van der Merwe.

Of the NSQ's probably only looking at Mata and Fruean just now that would be of any interest to the national side and I believe Mata is tied through 7's to Fiji and Fruean clearly has desires elsewhere and is probably too old to be a residency play anyway. For the future Van der Merwe and Harries might be of interest and presumably are not tied to SA or Wales through age grade?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Harries is 28, he's not in the running.

Van Der Merwe played in the 2014 JWC for South Africa, but not in 2015 when he would have been tied regardless of who they played. So he could be eligible, but probably isn't.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Wottie wrote:Just had a look at the squad for this season as it currently stands which looks well set with nearly 83% Scottish Qualified.

Scottish Qualified Squad Members - 38 (Note: assumes Burleigh and Bresler are there through residency)
Non Qualified Players - Fihaki, Harries, Mata, Rasolea, Scholes, Tovey, Fruean & Van der Merwe.

Of the NSQ's probably only looking at Mata and Fruean just now that would be of any interest to the national side and I believe Mata is tied through 7's to Fiji and Fruean clearly has desires elsewhere and is probably too old to be a residency play anyway. For the future Van der Merwe and Harries might be of interest and presumably are not tied to SA or Wales through age grade?

Mata is also a full cap now after debuting v Australia in the summer. Fruean is currently tied to NZ having played for the Junior All Blacks. He can qualify for Samoa as he is a citizen of that country and he's had a stand down period of more than 3 years - if he plays for their 7s side in an Olympic (or Olympic qualifying tournament) first.

Harries has played 7s for Wales so is tied. Van der Merwe's status depends on when the regulation changed that any game in the Junior World Cup tied players from nominated sides rather than only games when 2 nominated sides met (he played the 2014 tournament and didn't play against any other nominated u20s sides as far as I can see).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Wottie wrote:Just had a look at the squad for this season as it currently stands which looks well set with nearly 83% Scottish Qualified.

Rasolea has 7s caps so is also tied.

Jason Tovey apparently wants to become SQ in time, would probably be in the squad if he was SQ so potentially something there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

IIRC Burleigh will become SQ September/October and Bresler is already. I'd be surprised if either got capped though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

BigD163 wrote:IIRC Burleigh will become SQ September/October and Bresler is already. I'd be surprised if either got capped though.

I wouldn't be surprised, given the possibility of injuries etc. The Scottish player pool isn't very deep and they are both solid players.

We currently have the best crop of centres we've had in a long time, it's true, but between them they are quite frequently getting broken.

Lock forward is traditionally an area of strength but look at how many caps Swinson has got and Bresler is a better player than him.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
BigD163 wrote:IIRC Burleigh will become SQ September/October and Bresler is already. I'd be surprised if either got capped though.

I wouldn't be surprised, given the possibility of injuries etc. The Scottish player pool isn't very deep and they are both solid players.

We currently have the best crop of centres we've had in a long time, it's true, but between them they are quite frequently getting broken.

Lock forward is traditionally an area of strength but look at how many caps Swinson has got and Bresler is a better player than him.

Having double checked Breslers age I wouldn't be surprised if gets capped. I thought he was a couple of years older.

It would take a significant injury crisis for me to want to see Burleigh in a Scotland top.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum