Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby gowrie on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 am

Miller is on a pro deal, and we have Luke Crosbie (who could slot into pro rugby right now IMO), Archie Erskine, Thomas Gordon, and Jamie Ure on Stage 3 contracts with the Academy. Gordon's an openside and the others are blindsides, which might leave us light at 8.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Sounds like we have a fair bit of cover there, must admit I don't know much about the young guys, hopefully they are as good as Bradbry and Ritcthie

If we have Bradbury, Ritchie and CDP for No 8 it is probably too much to ask to carry another in the squad. Watson can do everything else, so would imaging he could do that too, actually him exploding off the back of a scrum could be very effective!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:If we have Bradbury, Ritchie and CDP for No 8 it is probably too much to ask to carry another in the squad. Watson can do everything else, so would imaging he could do that too, actually him exploding off the back of a scrum could be very effective!

He used to pretty much exclusively play number 8 for Accies. He was indeed incredibly effective.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Good that Cockerill thinks Fenton is good enough for pro rugby and given current injuries he may even get some game time.

The last injury update on the LHs was Dickinson was due back December, Sutherland November and Dell October no mention in any case of it being beginning or end of month etc

Rizzo is only here for 6 weeks, which would take him to about the end of October, unless the deal can be extended, so roughly until Dell is due to return.

Re Tuner: He is only 2 years younger than McInally he needs to be playing so Glasgow looks to be good for him at present. Cockerill must have had a look at him in training etc before agreeing his loan to Glasgow. If we are to lose McInally and Ford during internationals probably better to have the experience of Cochrane around supporting someone like Fenton just out the academy.

Turner will play more games for Scotland than McInally this season, won't be surprised to see Ford starting and Turner benching if Brown is out.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 am

Rambo threw a few shonky darts against the Drags, but otherwise was excellent over the two games so far. His ball carrying is back to his best.

I can't think that Cockerill will let our lineout continue to be so poor, i hope not anyway.I never played when lifting was legal, but I can't understand how Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland's lineout work has been so poor for so long.
Mind you Wales have been guff from the touchline for a while now so there is obviously more to it then meets the eye.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Turner will play more games for Scotland than McInally this season, won't be surprised to see Ford starting and Turner benching if Brown is out.

Will be interesting to see how Toony/MacFarlane view it. As it stands they and Brown are the future post RWC19. McInally has started the season better bar the odd wonky throw and IIRC Turner has never been selected ahead of a fit McInally for any squad (including last summers tour) unless McInally was rested.

Tichtheid wrote:I can't think that Cockerill will let our lineout continue to be so poor, i hope not anyway.I never played when lifting was legal, but I can't understand how Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland's lineout work has been so poor for so long.

It really is weird. The Scottish line out in particular can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Although at times I do wish the lineouts lost stat was broken down to lost due to being squint etc and stolen. Sometimes hookers can throw a perfect dart, the lifter and jumper do everything right and the opposition simply get up 6 inches in front and steal it.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Turner's had a good start to the season, but I don't see them picking a guy with a single-digit number of starts to play against the All Blacks. If he keeps this form up I can certainly see him touring next summer, but not in the AIs, or the 6N when Brown should be back.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Per ER tweet Hugh Fraser has stepped away from pro game to concentrate on his studies.

Shame looked a good prospect. Perhaps study and rugby not compatible under Cockers regime?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Pretty rotten news that. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the Edinburgh set-up when a top prospect just decides to leave.

Really hope they bring in one of Shiel/Simmers soon, need something new at scrumhalf.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 pm

gowrie wrote:Pretty rotten news that. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the Edinburgh set-up when a top prospect just decides to leave.

Really hope they bring in one of Shiel/Simmers soon, need something new at scrumhalf.

Or he has decided his heart isn't in it. He's have had to apply for uni weeks, if not months ago. It is a bit weird that he signed a pro deal and then went and applied to uni. Fair play to him for making the decision.

Not every one sees rugby as a viable career. Commercial property could be lucrative for the young lad.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm

BigD163 wrote:
gowrie wrote:Pretty rotten news that. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the Edinburgh set-up when a top prospect just decides to leave.

Or he has decided his heart isn't in it. He's have had to apply for uni weeks, if not months ago. It is a bit weird that he signed a pro deal and then went and applied to uni. Fair play to him for making the decision.

Not every one sees rugby as a viable career. Commercial property could be lucrative for the young lad.

He'll have been at uni for a long time before this as well, a lot of academy guys do uni work as well as rugby (so do some pros mind).

It's not the full story, likely he just wasn't fancied at Edinburgh and if you're not good enough here ...

Need Shiel to come through now, we desperately need some talent at 9!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

He'll have been at uni for a long time before this as well, a lot of academy guys do uni work as well as rugby (so do some pros mind).

It's not the full story, likely he just wasn't fancied at Edinburgh and if you're not good enough here ...

Need Shiel to come through now, we desperately need some talent at 9!

Aye, full story probably has a mix of no prospect of game time soon and maybe opportunities presenting themself else where. He seems to have identified commercial property so he have already have something lined up for the end of the year if that's when he graduates.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 am

If you don’t want to dedicate yourself 100% to being a rugby player, you’re not going to be very good. Cockerill May have told him something similar, rather than the soft soap he would have got from many at the SRU.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 am

Scotland Sevens core squad is announced later today will Fife, Farndale and Johnstone be included or will Cockerill get his way and have them at ER?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:02 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Scotland Sevens core squad is announced later today will Fife, Farndale and Johnstone be included or will Cockerill get his way and have them at ER?

If they are, who will replace them in the Sevens squad? Tom Brown?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum