Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby hp18 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:04 pm

What's the worry here? Dickinson, Sutherland and Dell are all international LHs. Good chance of losing two each window. Dickinson is no spring chicken and will need to be managed a bit more over time. 4th LH (sq is he) seems a given to me.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Update. I think the squad is almost complete now. We're just waiting for Bresler's annoucement.

1- Al Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, Allan Dell, Darryl Marfo // (Ross Dunbar)
2- Ross Ford, Neil Cochrane, Stuart McInally, George Turner // (Fraser Renwick)
3- WP Nel, Murray McCallum, Simon Berghan, Kevin Bryce // (Dan Winning)
4- Ben Toolis, Fraser McKenzie, Lewis Carmichael // (Jamie Ure)
5- Grant Gilchrist, Callum Hunter-Hill // (Hamish Bain)
6- Jamie Ritchie, Viliame Mata, Viliami Fihaki // (Luke Crosbie)
7- Hamish Watson, John Hardie // (Thomas Gordon)
8- Magnus Bradbury, Cornell Du Preez, Ally Miller // (Archie Erskine)
9- Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Sean Kennedy, Hugh Fraser, Nathan Fowles // (Charlie Shiel, Gary Munro)
10- Duncan Weir, Jason Tovey, Phil Burleigh // (Jason Baggott)
11- Damian Hoyland, Jason Harries, Darcy Graham // (Ross McCann)
12- Chris Dean, Tom Galbraith, Solomoni Rasolea // (Cameron Hutchinson)
13- Mark Bennett, Robbie Fruean // (George Taylor)
14- Tom Brown, Rory Scholes, Duhan Van Der Merwe
15- Glenn Bryce, Blair Kinghorn

45 professionnal players (25 forwards, 20 backs; 9 non scottish players) and 14 academy players.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 am

Team for next season looks as chart below.

Forwards virtually unchanged, other then Marfo for Cosgrove and a couple of others being replaced by academy signings. Cockerill is obviously confident that the pack can do the business with a bit of training, S&C and direction. Quite right too.

Much heartened by the backs signings, Fruean (and Bennet when fit again),give the prospect of a bit of high-level cutting-edge at O/Centre, with van der Merwe and Harries (who incidentally has been top drawer at LS) adding some go-forward pace and punch on the (probably) left wing. The back 5 are looking good. Not quite so sure about the half backs, a bit of work and skills training needed there methinks.

Great that the NSQ contingent is down from 12 to 8 good ones, with academy boys filling the spaces.

With an increase from 42 to probably 46 squad (when will the missing link Bresler re-sign, he is vital at lock 4?), I think the SRU has done Embra proud and must have broken the budget to do so. Great stuff and a big vote of confidence in the players and the new coaching team.

A word on the chart - it is not meant to be a 'depth chart' (whatever that means). We can all dispute whether C is better than B, or B is ahead of A, but that is all a bit subjective. The only real determinant of player position in the pecking order, injuries aside, is how many starts the coach gives them, which we will see this season. So no subjective bits below (other than that Turner should get lots more starts because in my subjective opinion he is great and a future Scottish cap!, but he is still shown as 4th choice).
Attachments
ER squad as at 20 May.jpg
ER squad as at 20 May.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 8248 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am

Good work!

Bresler and Burleigh are both SQ after the summer aren't they, both signing 2014
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

Will McCallum be sticking to TH? I think that would be preferable for Edinburghs front row balance at the moment
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am

That's a pretty young squad as well. The backs in particular, Burleigh the only one over 30, then Freuan is 28, Tom Brown 26 and everyone else 25 or younger. It's looking stronger, as is the coaching team, so I'm optimistic. As ever. We've all been optimistic and then disappointed before.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:Good work!

Bresler and Burleigh are both SQ after the summer aren't they, both signing 2014

Bresler arrived in time for pre-season in 2014 so should be SQ in a matter of days. Burleigh arrived later but IIRC it was still before start of 2014/15 season so he'll be SQ before the summer is out.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm

zt1903 wrote:
Edinburgh Shark wrote:Good work!

Bresler arrived in time for pre-season in 2014 so should be SQ in a matter of days. Burleigh arrived later but IIRC it was still before start of 2014/15 season so he'll be SQ before the summer is out.

Just having a wee look from way back when and certain posters were rolling their eyes and giving it 'another south african journeyman' when we first heard about Bresler...
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:21 pm

The squad does look stronger but its still the majority of guys who have struggled to get beyond 9th place in the last few years. You have to worry that our problems stem from the bit between the ears rather than strength, conditioning, etc. However like others I am, perhaps foolishly, more optimistic for the coming season for a number of reasons:

- we have some good solid signings in the problem areas in the backs
- we have some good young guys coming in who are more used to winning than losing and play exciting rugby
- we have kept together the pack and, assuming everyone comes back fit, can probably field two top class front rows
- we have a coaching team who may or may not get us playing running rugby but certainly will not accept guys not delivering on the pitch! There will be discipline, organisation and commitment expected for 80 mins as opposed to the usual 40 or 60 mins a game
- we should get some positive feelings from national success, the likes of Ford looks rejuvenated.
- Welsh and Irish will come back humiliated and knackered from the Lions Tour

I think we have an excellent opportunity early in the season and if we get a decent start and a bit of momentum then the confidence will hopefully grow. Sh1t just realised how optimistic this reads!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 pm

germain wrote:Update. I think the squad is almost complete now. We're just waiting for Bresler's annoucement.

1- Al Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, Allan Dell, Darryl Marfo // (Ross Dunbar)
2- Ross Ford, Neil Cochrane, Stuart McInally, George Turner // (Fraser Renwick)
3- WP Nel, Murray McCallum, Simon Berghan, Kevin Bryce // (Dan Winning)
4- Ben Toolis, Fraser McKenzie, Lewis Carmichael // (Jamie Ure)
5- Grant Gilchrist, Callum Hunter-Hill // (Hamish Bain)
6- Jamie Ritchie, Viliame Mata, Viliami Fihaki // (Luke Crosbie)
7- Hamish Watson, John Hardie // (Thomas Gordon)
8- Magnus Bradbury, Cornell Du Preez, Ally Miller // (Archie Erskine)

Cockers should whip that lot into shape sharpish and if so we'll have an excellent season. Stars all over that pack.

Dell Ford Nel Gilchrist Toolis Bradbury Watson du Preez all fit, firing, well drilled, organised and playing with their heads on fire. Good luck.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cockers should whip that lot into shape sharpish and if so we'll have an excellent season. Stars all over that pack.

Dell Ford Nel Gilchrist Toolis Bradbury Watson du Preez all fit, firing, well drilled, organised and playing with their heads on fire. Good luck.

I agree and it's a reasonable ask. But I would have Suzzy and Ritchie in my starting 8 :)
germain
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm

As official lines of communication have rather dried up recently, I found this interview with Cockers:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/press ... story.html

We've done quite well to get him. At Toulon he took a group of under-performing stars, less than the sum of their parts, and got them to the Top 14 Final against the odds. Should be good preparation for the task at hand up here...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 am

Bresler confirmed for an extra year

Another signing to be announced today also
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:25 am

Dell extended to May 2019
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Very good news on both signings. Bresler completes the 2017 re-signings, and it's interesting that Dell's extended his contract a year early.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum