Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Wottie on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dunna wrote:Heard yesterday that Lewis Carmichael is away out to Western Force just now. Not sure if it's short or long term.

Hopefully short term - would be mad for us to turn away a promising youngster.

He's half way through a 2 year deal so think likely that he is going over for the close season to get a bit more rugby. He has been on the verges of the team for a fair bit of this season due to injuries and international windows without actually getting that much game time. Good shout for him to head down south and will save him throwing up in pre-season as well as I imagine Cockerill's regime is going to be fairly robust!

Good luck to him, he looks a real prospect, if not a little on the small side for a lock these days?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 am

Certainly looks a good prospect who is not afraid to go forward. From what I have seen needs to work on his defence which a spell in SOup rugby is unlikely to help with.

Good to try something different though, can only do him good if he can get some game time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Also heard Callum Hunter Hill is on his way across to us after turning down a few other offers.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 pm

dunna wrote:Also heard Callum Hunter Hill is on his way across to us after turning down a few other offers.

That's interesting, Glasgow have a fair few young locks but I wouldn't have thought they'd let CHH go, he's looked a real talent for the U20s.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 am

gowrie wrote:
dunna wrote:Also heard Callum Hunter Hill is on his way across to us after turning down a few other offers.

That's interesting, Glasgow have a fair few young locks but I wouldn't have thought they'd let CHH go, he's looked a real talent for the U20s.

I think he's been at Glasgow Uni doing his degree but he's an Edinburgh boy. Good to have him back.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 am

gowrie wrote:That's interesting, Glasgow have a fair few young locks but I wouldn't have thought they'd let CHH go, he's looked a real talent for the U20s.

he was very good, but Glasgow don't get much of a say in where he goes.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am

So with the league season practically at the stage where fans may start drifting away what should the approach be in terms of team line ups?

I'd like to see an injection of youth. To a certain extent I wouldn't even be fussed if it was felt they may not be quite ready, the current players just aren't getting it done. 4 rounds left including Dragons at home and Treviso away. At this point 9th isn't ,much different from 10th or even 11th.

If they are fit/able then give Graham a go, if Miller isn't playing at LS or the 7s get him in, Shiel, Baggott, Hutchison etc. If Carmichael wasn't away I'd start him every game too.

Not sure about other fans but I'd rather see young ones giving it a bash than the same old jamesmatthew that is currently being served up.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 am

I am fed up with the pish we have been getting served up as well and much as I want to see Graham tearing it up in an ER jersey, my issue with going with youth is exposing more young players to a Pro environment which is clearly not in a good place, I am not sure it is what we want their first experience of Pro rugby to be?

No issue with playing the ones that have already been used this year eg Turner and Carmichael but I don’t know if chucking more young lads in to a failing team is good for them. Think I would rather see them come in fresh to the Cockerill regime and hopefully start their pro careers off on a more positive footing.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I am fed up with the pish we have been getting served up as well and much as I want to see Graham tearing it up in an ER jersey, my issue with going with youth is exposing more young players to a Pro environment which is clearly not in a good place, I am not sure it is what we want their first experience of Pro rugby to be?

No issue with playing the ones that have already been used this year eg Turner and Carmichael but I don’t know if chucking more young lads in to a failing team is good for them. Think I would rather see them come in fresh to the Cockerill regime and hopefully start their pro careers off on a more positive footing.

Throwing them all in at the same time wouldn't be the best idea but would it hurt for say:
- Carmichael and Turner to start/bench in all games.
- Graham start v Dragons at home and on the bench in all the other games.
- Miller benching in all the games, maybe a start.
- Shiel to bench it the odd game.

Not mass change but something needs to change.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Be a shame to lose him, though does leave the door open for old Brian.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:48 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I am fed up with the pish we have been getting served up as well and much as I want to see Graham tearing it up in an ER jersey, my issue with going with youth is exposing more young players to a Pro environment which is clearly not in a good place, I am not sure it is what we want their first experience of Pro rugby to be?

Seeing what has happened to Kinghorn and Bradbury these last few weeks has been concerning.

On the other hand the only positive of this season has been the young players looking like they'll be part of the revival. I've pretty much lost interest with this season but if I thought I'd see Carmichael, Turner, Miller, Graham and others get some game time I'd be more interested.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm

dunna wrote:Heard yesterday that Lewis Carmichael is away out to Western Force just now. Not sure if it's short or long term.

Looking like short term - according to the English Times, this is WF's last season due to Oz RU's dire financial position.

Still good experience, of course.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

The Chiel wrote:

Looking like short term - according to the English Times, this is WF's last season due to Oz RU's dire financial position.

Still good experience, of course.

Maybe that's it, send our players to a real basket case, give them a bit of perspective when they come back.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Seeing what has happened to Kinghorn and Bradbury these last few weeks has been concerning.

On the other hand the only positive of this season has been the young players looking like they'll be part of the revival. I've pretty much lost interest with this season but if I thought I'd see Carmichael, Turner, Miller, Graham and others get some game time I'd be more interested.

Agreed. I'd like to see Tofilau given a run at 12 and told to smash it up with everything he's got. Burleigh has lost form and a playmaking 12 isn't working out well for us just now.

I'd at least like us to show some aggression and bloody mindedness for the rest of the season. It should start with our 2 captains getting their backsides off the bench and leading by example and playing every minute for the rest of the season. (with Rambo at 8 ).
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:04 am

macdone wrote:Agreed. I'd like to see Tofilau given a run at 12 and told to smash it up with everything he's got. Burleigh has lost form and a playmaking 12 isn't working out well for us just now.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that last season the problem about Burleigh wasn't that he was a 12 trying to play 10, just that he isn't nearly as good as we wanted to believe.

I agree about Tofilau (or someone) paying a more direct running take the ball up inside centre. Doesn't have to happen every play but for a limited team (which is what we are currently) perhaps plating a more limited learn to walk before we can run model would be an idea. And I don't mean back to basic Solly - we need to shift the ball and regroup much quicker than his stop start tactics
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum