Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:00 pm

BigD163 wrote:Turners hooker basics aren't good enough. His arrows and scrummaging just aren't there yet imo.

His open field awareness needs to.improve too. In the games I've seen there have been 3 or 4 passes that have been shocking and directly lost a try or put his team under pressure.when hitting it up has been better options.

Obviously he isn't the complete product as he's not played enough pro games. Far more potential to be a good Pro14 player than Cochrane has ever had though which is why his lack of opportunities here is just a nonsense.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Turners hooker basics aren't good enough. His arrows and scrummaging just aren't there yet imo.

His open field awareness needs to.improve too. In the games I've seen there have been 3 or 4 passes that have been shocking and directly lost a try or put his team under pressure.when hitting it up has been better options.

Obviously he isn't the complete product as he's not played enough pro games. Far more potential to be a good Pro14 player than Cochrane has ever had though which is why his lack of opportunities here is just a nonsense.

There has been a lack of opportunities, but let's not forget that successive regimes have seen Lawrie up close and decided at that point he was 4th choice. He's also failed to make an impact at LS (not sure the reasons for that).

He's getting some games at Glasgow as they have no depth. He looks decent in the loose but most would. I honestly think Rambo would be tearing it up for weeg if it was him sent along there.

For me if Brown is out for Scotland Rambo starts.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:23 pm

It might actually be quite close even if Brown is fit. He has struggled albeit coming back from injury and McInally has been very good, carrying with intent of old and would suit the Gt gameplan I would think.

I would be very worried about going into an international with Turner in the front row, as I said I like him as a player and he adds a lot in the loose, possibly a good option off the bench.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 pm

He's not behind Fordy anymore. You can argue for Rambo, but not for Fordy.

Ford had some of his best performances in a Scotland shirt in the summer and has shown the same sort of form for us.

It seems to me that the ball got stuck in the middle of the tunnel a couple of times a few years ago, he threw a fair number of poor darts, and people's eyes have been shut to what he actually does ever since.

He is in no way alone in any of his faults, he is 33 years old so he will be caught, he could well have been already, but some of the criticism aimed at him over the years has been varying between unfair, as others have been guilty of exactly the same faults, and complete MattGoddard as they don't take into account what you can't see - the grunt he brings in the tight.

It's difficult to tell from out here, but Ford still looks like a better srummaging hooker than Brown, and the difference to the Glasgow scrum when Brown went off and Turner came on against Exeter could not have been clearer
Last edited by Tichtheid on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 pm

BigD163 wrote:

There has been a lack of opportunities, but let's not forget that successive regimes have seen Lawrie up close and decided at that point he was 4th choice. He's also failed to make an impact at LS (not sure the reasons for that).

He's getting some games at Glasgow as they have no depth. He looks decent in the loose but most would. I honestly think Rambo would be tearing it up for weeg if it was him sent along there.

For me if Brown is out for Scotland Rambo starts.

I think Ford will start with Brown out but Rambo and Turner really deserve to be in the squad. I also agree McInally would be better at Glasgow but you'd be hard pressed to find any player at Edinburgh with potential that wouldn't be better at Glasgow. Imagine how good Kinghorn would be if he was there receiving really top class backs coaching and getting the mental aspects of rugby nailed down.

Right, that's a fair point but the last three coaching staff have been failures. Bradley was here when he was really young so I'll give him a slight pass but Solomons and Hodge had no excuse. Especially as Solomons decided that youngsters couldn't play in a losing team so ingeniously signed a load of older players who lost every week anyway and set back youngster players development through that nonsense idea.

I also think Townsend and Rennie have a better gauge on a player than Solomons and Hodge and both of them seem to rate Turner. He is starting over Macarthur who is a stallwart and Malcolm who showed some flashes to be fair to him. He makes mistakes but you'd think with proper coaching he'll iron them out. The scrum isn't really just him either - Glasgow's props are all very raw.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 pm

I think Ford will start with Brown out but Rambo and Turner really deserve to be in the squad. I also agree McInally would be better at Glasgow but you'd be hard pressed to find any player at Edinburgh with potential that wouldn't be better at Glasgow. Imagine how good Kinghorn would be if he was there receiving really top class backs coaching and getting the mental aspects of rugby nailed down.

Right, that's a fair point but the last three coaching staff have been failures. Bradley was here when he was really young so I'll give him a slight pass but Solomons and Hodge had no excuse. Especially as Solomons decided that youngsters couldn't play in a losing team so ingeniously signed a load of older players who lost every week anyway and set back youngster players development through that nonsense idea.

I also think Townsend and Rennie have a better gauge on a player than Solomons and Hodge and both of them seem to rate Turner. He is starting over Macarthur who is a stallwart and Malcolm who showed some flashes to be fair to him. He makes mistakes but you'd think with proper coaching he'll iron them out. The scrum isn't really just him either - Glasgow's props are all very raw.

When I referred to Rambo at Glasgow I only mentioned it because the praise to Turner is based solely on his open game. Rambo v Lawrie is likely to be an international 23 decision so thought it worth mentioning I think Rambo would look great in the open field.

Cockerill will have seen Turner and preseason, and for his faults Scott coached a decent set piece. Everyone is hoping his set piece can be coached up but Humphries isn't exactly a highly regarded coach either.

I've never rated Pat Mac as anything other than solid professional (same as Harley IMO) and where Glasgow, maybe with a nudge from the SRU can take him on loan and suffer some set piece pain but cope with it. Hopefully it improves.

From an SRU POV the present situation of their first 4 hookers split 2 and 2 is ideal.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 pm

So far Turner has thrown in well but the scrum really suffered when he came on yesterday. He has made some good hits in defence and nicked a couple of turnovers. The biggest issue has been his passing - he has thrown 4 or 5 real shockers to nobody, or straight into touch or for an interception. But all in all it's doing him a world of good. (Based on 4 games I've watched).
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am

Agree with Macdones assessment of Turner. We get the defensive hits and turnovers from McInally plus scrum power and not the same passing errors. McInally is a couple wayward throws away from being a very complete hooker at present.

If Brown is out for another few weeks I cant see anyone but McInally starting for Scotland in the AIs, Ford appears to be out of favour and clear 2nd choice at present, he has only started one match for us this season with 3 sub appearances (Cochrane 4 sub) I don't think he has enough game time under his belt to go straight into starting an International.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 am

I'd like to see lineout stats for all the hookers, because I honestly don't think McInally is much weaker than Ford there now at all. Perhaps gives a little away in the scrum, but that's easily outweighed by his contributions in the loose this season.

Don't think Scotland should play anyone at hooker beyond Brown/McInally this season outside of injury, and not a lot between them on who starts with Brown just ahead on past performances.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Rory Sutherland on the bench for Hawick this weekend.

Fraser Brown out for 8 weeks, anyone know if Ford is injured or just out of favour?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Scottish Rugby wrote:Scottish Rugby and Edinburgh Rugby confirm that Scotland international and Edinburgh forward, John Hardie, has been suspended from duty pending an internal investigation.
As a result the player will not be available for selection for Edinburgh, or the Scotland National Team.
It is normal practice with such matters that we are unable to comment further given the nature of the investigation

Other comments online suggest it's unrelated to Bradbury, but nothing more.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

The Scotland 7s squad's been announced for the season warm-up tourney in Stellenbosch. Johnstone and Fife not included (round 1 to Cockerill?), Farndale is in though.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 pm

disco wrote:
Wottie wrote:Just had a look at the squad for this season as it currently stands which looks well set with nearly 83% Scottish Qualified.

Total Squad contracted to date - 46
Scottish Qualified Squad Members - 38 (Note: assumes Burleigh and Bresler are there through residency)
Non Qualified Players - Fihaki, Harries, Mata, Rasolea, Scholes, Tovey, Fruean & Van der Merwe.

Of the NSQ's probably only looking at Mata and Fruean just now that would be of any interest to the national side and I believe Mata is tied through 7's to Fiji and Fruean clearly has desires elsewhere and is probably too old to be a residency play anyway. For the future Van der Merwe and Harries might be of interest and presumably are not tied to SA or Wales through age grade?

Mata is also a full cap now after debuting v Australia in the summer. Fruean is currently tied to NZ having played for the Junior All Blacks. He can qualify for Samoa as he is a citizen of that country and he's had a stand down period of more than 3 years - if he plays for their 7s side in an Olympic (or Olympic qualifying tournament) first.

Harries has played 7s for Wales so is tied. Van der Merwe's status depends on when the regulation changed that any game in the Junior World Cup tied players from nominated sides rather than only games when 2 nominated sides met (he played the 2014 tournament and didn't play against any other nominated u20s sides as far as I can see).

Arising out of the chat around Luke Hamilton's status this morning a journo on Twitter confirmed that the regulations changed on 1 July 2014 ie immediately after the 2014 JWC. Van der Merwe only played against Samoa and England, neither of whom had their u20s as their nominated second team.

Long story short VDM is not tied to any country and arrived in time to still only need 3 years to qualify to play for Scotland through residency.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Long story short VDM is not tied to any country and arrived in time to still only need 3 years to qualify to play for Scotland through residency.

oooh, now that is interesting.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

BBC report

Magnus Bradbury has been stripped of the Edinburgh captaincy following an internal investigation into an off-field incident.

The 22-year-old back-row suffered a head injury after falling on a night out, resulting in him missing the recent win at London Irish.

Lock Fraser McKenzie will replace Bradbury as captain for the remainder of the season.

Bradbury will be available for selection at the weekend.

Capped twice, he has been overlooked for the Scotland squad for the autumn Tests.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum