Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Kelly Brown was 6'4 and a decent enough at 7 on his day. I think if Ritchie could follow the path of a Kelly Brown or Ryan Wilson we have a hell of a player.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Kelly Brown was 6'4

I believe he still is :-D
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Meet and greet at JD Sports next week. Nel in attendance. Dare we hope for an announcement?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm

biffer wrote:Meet and greet at JD Sports next week. Nel in attendance. Dare we hope for an announcement?

"My name is Willem Petrus Nel and this summer I will mostly be wearing Kappaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 pm

biffer wrote:Meet and greet at JD Sports next week. Nel in attendance. Dare we hope for an announcement?

I predict the week between La Rochelle knocking us out of the Challenge Cup and the home game vs Connacht would be when an announcement about Nel would be made if he has signed up.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

I predict the week between La Rochelle knocking us out of the Challenge Cup and the home game vs Connacht would be when an announcement about Nel would be made if he has signed up.

If you had news that big would you not get it out there in the lead up to the quarter final to give everyone a boost and help shift tickets?

Maybe clutching at straws but you would think if he was going for a proper big money deal elsewhere something would have leaked by now? The longer it goes on the more it seems like he might be sticking around, even if only for another season or two.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 pm

disco wrote:

If you had news that big would you not get it out there in the lead up to the quarter final to give everyone a boost and help shift tickets?

Maybe clutching at straws but you would think if he was going for a proper big money deal elsewhere something would have leaked by now? The longer it goes on the more it seems like he might be sticking around, even if only for another season or two.

Maybe but I think a knock out game will develop more buzz than a dead rubber at home vs Connacht. It's easier for marketing and comms to work on the Challenge Cup game than a nothing match at Myreside so I expect the Nel card to be played then.

I agree, I think Nel is staying and they're holding off the announcement for a opportune moment. Hopefully anyway, Cockers likes his tighthead props.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Hopefully a few announcements made soon. we need renewals and new players!
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm

BigD163 wrote:

I think the longer there is no news that he is off elsewhere the greater the chance he is staying.

I expect a number of re-signings have already been done but not announced. However the Nel contract really needs sorted sooner rather than later. Think we can safely assume the SRU have made a decent offer to him(possibly best paid ER player?) and if he aint staying we could do with knowing so that budget can go elsewhere, is it not generally end May/June most rugby contracts end(?) so only a couple of months, time is therefore running out if he is off and we are looking to recruit others with the budget.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

I think the longer there is no news that he is off elsewhere the greater the chance he is staying.

I expect a number of re-signings have already been done but not announced. However the Nel contract really needs sorted sooner rather than later. Think we can safely assume the SRU have made a decent offer to him(possibly best paid ER player?) and if he aint staying we could do with knowing so that budget can go elsewhere, is it not generally end May/June most rugby contracts end(?) so only a couple of months, time is therefore running out if he is off and we are looking to recruit others with the budget.

think you just about nail it. Offers will have been made to all players Edinburgh want to keep. Decisions will have been made, Those who need to know, know. The rest is about news management, timing of PR etc. These last couple of weeks of the 6n SRU probably won't want to distract from the rest of the PR programme

Too many seen to think that every contract renewal is announced as it happens It ain't so, not even close.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Try best paid player in Scotland. TH worth more than fullback (Hogg) and lock (Richie's brother). If they are giving Hogg £350k it'd be criminal to offer one of the best tight head props about less than that - it'd be an indication they didn't want him to stay.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Are there any forwards of note that are Cockerill stooges and might be coming to the end of their career and fancy being released from their contracts to assist him?

I know it's normally the sign of a bad coach if they sign their mates but a couple might help.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:16 pm

ratty wrote:Are there any forwards of note that are Cockerill stooges and might be coming to the end of their career and fancy being released from their contracts to assist him?

I know it's normally the sign of a bad coach if they sign their mates but a couple might help.

What odds on Tom Croft being our skipper next year?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Wottie wrote:
ratty wrote:Are there any forwards of note that are Cockerill stooges and might be coming to the end of their career and fancy being released from their contracts to assist him?

What odds on Tom Croft being our skipper next year?

I don't see that happening, what does Croft get from coming to Edinburgh and we have a lot of good back rows anyway. Cockers has said in every interview he's done and at length on the Rugby Dungeon interview that developing young Scots is a vital part of the role.

I am interested to see who will be captain next year though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:03 am

I am interested to see who will be captain next year though.

Optimistically, I'm looking forward to the rehabilitation of Gilcho under Cockers.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum