Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 am

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
I am interested to see who will be captain next year though.

Optimistically, I'm looking forward to the rehabilitation of Gilcho under Cockers.

If he's here, I think both parties will look to move on - he's a high earner and stagnating.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 am

biffer wrote:Try best paid player in Scotland. TH worth more than fullback (Hogg) and lock (Richie's brother). If they are giving Hogg £350k it'd be criminal to offer one of the best tight head props about less than that - it'd be an indication they didn't want him to stay.

Great THs are like gold dust, and I am confident Nel will have been made a very good offer, worthy of his value to the SRU and Edinburgh. But Hogg is box office, worth shedloads to the SRU in sponsorship, media and corporate stuff etc. Nel is a fans icon and loved by afficionados but value to SRU is more than what happens on the park, not really comparing like with like
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Mark Palmer in the Times - who is very reliable - says Nel has re-signed.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Mark Palmer in the Times - who is very reliable - says Nel has re-signed.

Good news - I can't find the article though, which page?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:48 pm

I did not post it previously, but according to the mythical 'reliable source' he signed for 4 years. It was the timescales that made me a wee bit hesitant as if true he is effectively committing his career.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:24 pm

If this is true, it's rescued an otherwise miserable weekend and put a smile back on my face. Teams get built around guys like Nel. :D
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Mark Palmer in the Times - who is very reliable - says Nel has re-signed.

Good news - I can't find the article though, which page?

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status ... 9127442432

If it is four years he is committing his career! Maybe he loves Edinburgh so much he'll stay after he retires which would be nice. If he has a son maybe WP won't be the only Nel that turns out for Scotland! Agree with Wottie too - especially a Cockerill pack so very good news for next year.

Also, I watched the 7s - Scotland lost but Miller really caught my eye - strong, athletic, quick, good feet in attack but maybe a bit suspect in defence but it is 7s. He and Bradbury will push CdP all the way so that's good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 pm

I had heard he had signed but didn't want to put it up on here as I didn't want to name my source :D
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am

4 years is also a massive commitment from ER/SRU as well as from WP but I assume it has allowed them to “match” say a French club in terms of total deal eg 300k over 4 years v 400k over 3 years.

Great news when confirmed hopefully gets over the neck injury and back to his best for the start of next season
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 am

That would be great news. Although, it would be slightly strange to be paying a 34 yo tighthead £300k+ but like mentioned it could effectively be seen as a 3 year 400k deal to compete with the French.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am

Weegie wrote:I did not post it previously, but according to the mythical 'reliable source' he signed for 4 years. It was the timescales that made me a wee bit hesitant as if true he is effectively committing his career.

At 30, he is probably at the peak of his bargaining power. By signing this deal he would have guaranteed himself £1.2million+ in earnings. Seems fair to me :)

4 years is a good number too, by that point if McCallum progresses he would be the heir apparent if he hadn't already surpassed him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am

it would be slightly strange to be paying a 34 yo tighthead £300k+

not if in two years one of the best THs is 32years old, is post RWC19, maybe retired from international, and could command £450-£500k in Eng or France, that would make it a decent bit of business.

Either way great news when confirmed and as you said if McCallum continues to develop with Nel there to help him all the better.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
it would be slightly strange to be paying a 34 yo tighthead £300k+

not if in two years one of the best THs is 32years old, is post RWC19, maybe retired from international, and could command £450-£500k in Eng or France, that would make it a decent bit of business.

Either way great news when confirmed and as you said if McCallum continues to develop with Nel there to help him all the better.

I don't have an issue with it especially as part of a package that ties him down now, it is a tidy bit of business assuming the medical people are happy. Just off the top of my head I can't think of many tight heads that would end the season as a 35 year old would the that well paid but I don't have any issues with this at all.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 am

BigD163 wrote:That would be great news. Although, it would be slightly strange to be paying a 34 yo tighthead £300k+ but like mentioned it could effectively be seen as a 3 year 400k deal to compete with the French.

I wouldn't have said so, given it's the last year of the contract. If you were offering a 34 year old a new three year contract at that price, maybe it's something you'd question. But a prop's peak years are often after he is 30, so signing someone up for that length of time at that stage in his career is a good bit of business.

Great if true, gives WP the security he needs for his family, gives us the anchor to build a pack around.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 pm

If true the signing of Nel would be fantastic news in yet an otherwise miserable season. We just need to make sure the likes of Nel, Dickinson and Bennet get over the injuries and are fit and ready for next season. Whilst this season has been a bit of a disaster we have seen a number of young guys get some invaluable experience under their belt whilst the senior guys have been injured. The likes of Bradbury, Ritchie, McCallum and Cosgrove have all stood up well and it could be argued have been let down by their more senior colleagues. However they are beginning to look tired and struggling mentally with the string of losses. Even allowing for a few leaving and a few new signings the basics of the pack look ok for next season, as long as we don't have the same run of injuries as we had this season! Perhaps a big ball carrier in the back row ... seems I say that every year!

However even with Bennet coming we still look thin on the ground and lacking talent in the backs. Our SHs collectively dont look good enough, we need a decent back up to Weir, perhaps a good young guy coming through, another centre or two and an experienced winger/FB. I am assuming we will see a few second string backs let go given their lack of game time and obvious lack of trust in them by Hodge, who will remain as backs coach.

Cockerill should get the pack working as a cohesive unit and become more than the sum of the parts, something that has been badly missing this year. He will also make sure we defend aggressively. However he has a bit of work to do in getting the squad sorted out and bringing in a few decent backs signings.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum