Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:44 pm

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:If there's a lot of leaders, why have we looked so utterly leaderless so many times in the last few years?

spot on.

I still think Cochrane is the best fit as a captain we have, but accept he probably isn't going to start much. I am also convinced that some of last seasons losses would have been wins had we managed to keep Coman.

And now I find myself agreeing with joe soap.

It is the end of times.... :)

I know, I find myself agreeing with doedin. I'm off for a lie down.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Everyone is in agreement. It's a new dawn I tell ya! This Cockrill guys a genius, he's even united the Board and the season hasn't even started. :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:48 pm

First game of the season and George Turner starting for Glasgow away to Connacht, that will double his league starts.

Hope he gets a run of games, always looked decent in the few chances he got at ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Watched the Glasgow game and was really impressed with Turner, he was relentless the whole match, really putting himself about. Line out had it's wobbles but the weather was terrible.

Real shame we won't see him in an Edinburgh shirt again, makes it more maddening he was continually overlooked.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Watched the Glasgow game and was really impressed with Turner, he was relentless the whole match, really putting himself about. Line out had it's wobbles but the weather was terrible.

Real shame we won't see him in an Edinburgh shirt again, makes it more maddening he was continually overlooked.

He's only on loan to the Weeg isn't he?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Rico wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Watched the Glasgow game and was really impressed with Turner, he was relentless the whole match, really putting himself about. Line out had it's wobbles but the weather was terrible.

Yeah for a year, but pretty sure his contract here is up at the end of the year too. I very much doubt if he continues as is he'll return to Edinburgh. I guess you never really know though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Is Tom Brown injured?

Not seen much mention of him recently.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Rico wrote:

Yeah for a year, but pretty sure his contract here is up at the end of the year too. I very much doubt if he continues as is he'll return to Edinburgh. I guess you never really know though.

Hard to say but I suspect you are right, especially if he maintains his place ahead of McArthur who was playing for Ayr (Ryan Grant on bench) on Saturday. Cochrane and Ford will be 34 at the end of this season, would seem a logical step to let Cochrane go (if he doesn't retire) and sign Turner to a new deal but he may end up at Glasgow.

Frenchy wrote:Is Tom Brown injured?

Not seen much mention of him recently.

Not sure, he wasn't on Prem duty at the weekend. Graham was and scored IIRC.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Meanwhile, Cockerill confirmed that he would like to see Dougie Fife, Jamie Farndale and James Johnstone – who are currently seconded to Edinburgh from the Scotland 7s set-up – join the club on a more permanent basis.

Fife, who is a full Scotland internationalist, made 86 appearances and scored 17 tries in five seasons at the club before being discarded by previous head coach Alan Solomons in the summer of 2016.

During the last month, he was involved in both of the team’s pre-season outings as part of an extended squad, and was then named in the starting line-up for their opening competitive fixture against Cardiff Blues last Friday night.

It was not clear at that stage whether this was simply plugging the gap created by injuries to Fruean, Damian Hoyland and Durhan van der Merwe [another new signing]; or whether Cockerill saw him as a longer-term option for the club.

Cockerill addressed that question yesterday.

“We have three 7s guys in the programme at the moment and they add a bit of depth to the squad. I would like [to keep] them in the squad but that is up for discussion. John Dalziel is running the 7s programme and it would be pretty tough on him,” he said.

“We’ve got to work through that. It’s not just about me pulling rank. I believe that the 7s programme is to produce players for the pro-team and national sides, but we have to make that work within the whole programme. I will be pushing hard to try and keep those lads if I can.”

“All three have been with us full-time for the whole of pre-season. The 7s squad are already training but their competitions don’t start until December. If those guys start commanding places in or around the 23 then you’d like to give them the best shot at playing fifteens.”

“They are Scottish-qualified guys and all very desperate to play for Scotland and Edinburgh.”

Interesting that Cockers is publically asking a question many fans have, what is the point in the 7s programme? I love it, the 7s program needed some definition. Are these guys just 7s players? Where do the academy/fringe players fit it? Cockers asking these questions is great. It's not really functioning as a development pathway at present and Cockers is right, these guys need to play 15s for it to do so.

Fwiw, I think Farndale is still the under20s RWC top scorer ever and this was when Scotland under 20s were awful. He's an incredible talent and has shown he can stay fit which was his problem before, get him involved. Fife is injured for the weekend so an excellent chance for him to get start. Could notch a few vs the Dragons.

On the other hand, no doubt Harries is useful and Duhan van der Merwe looks a real prospect, but couldn't Cockers have signed Farndale/Fife instead?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Rico wrote:
He's only on loan to the Weeg isn't he?[/
quote]

Hard to say but I suspect you are right, especially if he maintains his place ahead of McArthur who was playing for Ayr (Ryan Grant on bench) on Saturday. Cochrane and Ford will be 34 at the end of this season, would seem a logical step to let Cochrane go (if he doesn't retire) and sign Turner to a new deal but he may end up at Glasgow.

You'd imagine if he is given the choice he'd pick Glasgow too. Currently challenging, will be next year and they believed in him whereas we haven't, in 1 week he's started as many times for Glasgow as he has in 5 years with Edinburgh!

It'll really be fantastic if Rambo makes himself 1st choice this year. I suspect that Ford will play to the 2019 RWC then retire, Cochrane was a weird one, we really should've kept Turner rather than him you'd think. I always wondered how involved in that decision Cockerill was. However, I believe Renwick is in our academy anyway and we have Fenton training with the squad so there is some young blood around. It's also possible that we have Malcolm shuttled across if numbers don't add up. Still hooker should be a priority position for the scouts looking for SQs elsewhere.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 pm

So Cockers wants Fife to stay, good man. Also sounds like he's keen on Farndale and Johnston.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Cammy Fenton signed for the season. Normally plays at hooker, but the press release is calling him "versatile" and says that he will cover "across the Edinburgh front row".

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... -year-deal
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Frenchy wrote:Cammy Fenton signed for the season. Normally plays at hooker, but the press release is calling him "versatile" and says that he will cover "across the Edinburgh front row".

Played openside for Hawks at the weekend there so "versatile" is probably underselling it slightly!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Funny that the SRU spoiled this a couple of weeks ago and I forgot about it until now. In the Prem 1 preview they listed Fenton as an Edinburgh player, and I think I just assumed it was a mistake.

Bit weird if he plays anywhere other than Hooker, but good to get him in the squad. I'm convinced Glasgow are gonna nab Turner at the end of the season, so we definitely need new players to come through.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm

disco wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Cammy Fenton signed for the season. Normally plays at hooker, but the press release is calling him "versatile" and says that he will cover "across the Edinburgh front row".

Played openside for Hawks at the weekend there so "versatile" is probably underselling it slightly!

Turner's more versatile. I'm pretty sure he played more for us at prop, flanker and wing than he did at hooker.
bignose
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum