Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Frenchy on Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

biffer wrote:Hugh Fraser on a 1 year contract.

Hoped he would be one of them. Four SHs is higher than average, but they're all pretty young and should push each other hard.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon May 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Tom Galbraith on a 1 year deal.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 15, 2017 2:02 pm

All good stuff, promising yongsters being given a chance. I just hope the more experience players give them the platform to kick on.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Happy to see Galbraith given a deal, he's looked good the few times I've seen him. I doubt we'll see that much of him or Fraser tbh, I think they've been given a one year deal to drive on and secure a longer term contract by proving they can hack it in the pro environment.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon May 15, 2017 2:25 pm

biffer wrote:Happy to see Galbraith given a deal, he's looked good the few times I've seen him. I doubt we'll see that much of him or Fraser tbh, I think they've been given a one year deal to drive on and secure a longer term contract by proving they can hack it in the pro environment.

Fraser should be looking at the other 3 9's recent body of work and thinking he could end the season as a matchday squad regular.

Will Galbrairth be looked at as a centre permanently? I know he played full back for the U20's at times (once? and 10 for Edinburgh A on an occasion).
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

All good stuff, but as Dolf says the senior players need to provide them with a winning environment for them to step into.

Incidentally, the BBC had an article last week stating that Fruean is as good as signed, but nothing from the club so far

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39887577
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Tichtheid wrote:You only have to look at England over the last two years to see what difference a head coach can make with essentially the same players, the same goes for Ireland a couple of years ago when Schmidt came in.

The fact that our players can and have beaten the likes of Leinster, Munster, Glasgow, Quins, Stade Francais etc over the last two seasons shows that we can win against top teams, that these are decent players playing badly, without leadership on and off the field.

The main difference that I can see is that the Leinsters and Munsters perform at that level every week, now I've heard it said that we only win when the opposition play badly, but it's funny how often teams play badly against the likes of Leinster, Munster etc, imo they make the opposition play badly

I think we are saying the same thing! In the last few years it seems that our big players only step up for a match when it is a big game, such as those you mention, and that is not good enough and I hope will not be tolerated by Cockerill. There seems to be too many players who seem to think they are guaranteed a place in the team/squad if they show up every so often and play well. It is all too comfortable and I think Cockerill will challenge that whole culture/attitude. Some will rise to the challenge but I suspect a few will either not be able to or not want to and I don't think Cockerill will tolerate that for very long.

On paper we may look to have a very strong forward squad but Watson, Dickinson and Nel (both of whom we really struggle without) and a few young guys can’t carry the whole pack themselves.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm

I fear it might be an uphill struggle for Cockerill given the environment the players have in Scotland. For example, look at Turner. He's potentially a good player, but he's basically hung around in our squad for a few years, barely getting a game, and he's going on tour with Scotland this summer. What kind of mindset will this example instil in our younger players?

I imagine Cockerill will want to build a real club mentality but the players will have a really big distraction at Murrayfield.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon May 15, 2017 3:15 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I fear it might be an uphill struggle for Cockerill given the environment the players have in Scotland. For example, look at Turner. He's potentially a good player, but he's basically hung around in our squad for a few years, barely getting a game, and he's going on tour with Scotland this summer. What kind of mindset will this example instil in our younger players?

I imagine Cockerill will want to build a real club mentality but the players will have a really big distraction at Murrayfield.

...which is why we need to move away from Murrayfield.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Interesting interview with Brian Redpath in the Hootsmon at the weekend and his comments on why his son moved from Scotland u16 to England u17 and u18 as did 2 others. A lot to do with the quality of the development programmes, the regulations re player development and the attractiveness of individuals who are EQ to premiership clubs.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

It read to me like a very commercial descision. Even said he sang both anthems vs Scotland, which is a bit odd. I don't think I would be overly happy with a team mate doing that.

Not sure if he will gravitate back to Scotland or not. I would hope its not just as a backup option should be not make it fully.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I fear it might be an uphill struggle for Cockerill given the environment the players have in Scotland. For example, look at Turner. He's potentially a good player, but he's basically hung around in our squad for a few years, barely getting a game, and he's going on tour with Scotland this summer. What kind of mindset will this example instil in our younger players?

Alternatively what will it say to McInally? If he stays at hooker that's another player he has to beat out for the Scotland shirt = work harder Rambo. Also, I doubt Turner will be satisfied with being third choice for Scotland. In any case, I doubt McCallum, Carmichael, Hunter-Hill, Ritchie, Dean, Kinghorn et al will tread water thinking they're due a call-up and if they do I hope they enjoy Marr away with whichever club team they're drafted by next year.

Anyhow, excellent signing news today. Hunter-Hill is a leader and very athletic - might take a few years to really fill out but second row looks very useful, especially if we keep Bresler. Fraser probably could be starting 9 next season - we've all watched Kennedy, Fowles and SHC right? And Galbraith's versatility will see him get some chances - looked a ferocious 12 with the 20s.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

When Bath didn't release Adam Hastings for one of the U20 games last season, was it Galbraith who played 10, can't remember now? He is normally an inside centre, though a smaller and slighter version of Peter Horne, rather than the bigger Dunbar/Dean type of robust stopper at 12. Will be interested to see where he is tried out, would like to see what he can do at both 10 and 15. He has a step and a bit of speed and could be a useful addition, hope he gets a bit of game time off the bench in a couple of games to give a little demo.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 am

royc wrote:When Bath didn't release Adam Hastings for one of the U20 games last season, was it Galbraith who played 10, can't remember now? He is normally an inside centre, though a smaller and slighter version of Peter Horne, rather than the bigger Dunbar/Dean type of robust stopper at 12. Will be interested to see where he is tried out, would like to see what he can do at both 10 and 15. He has a step and a bit of speed and could be a useful addition, hope he gets a bit of game time off the bench in a couple of games to give a little demo.

They would've played Hutchinson there as they didn't see Galbraith as a 10.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am

royc wrote:When Bath didn't release Adam Hastings for one of the U20 games last season, was it Galbraith who played 10, can't remember now? He is normally an inside centre, though a smaller and slighter version of Peter Horne, rather than the bigger Dunbar/Dean type of robust stopper at 12. Will be interested to see where he is tried out, would like to see what he can do at both 10 and 15. He has a step and a bit of speed and could be a useful addition, hope he gets a bit of game time off the bench in a couple of games to give a little demo.

Galbraith played 15 at times for the U20's IIRC.

He played a game at 10 for Edinburgh A as an 18/19 year old.

Hopefully they all show that they are worth a place in the matchday 23 regularly next year. CHH probably has the bigger hill to climb in that respect.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum