Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby New Gunner on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The other thing about SH-C is his attitude on the park. I think he kept us in last week's game when it could have all gone down the pan quickly, when he got into a frank exchange of views with Price it got everyone piling in. From then on it was all about guts.

He's a typically nippy scrum half, but definitely helped us in that respect on Saturday. The match-up with Price should be interesting this week, Sammy definitely schooled Finn's other half at Murrayfield.

On a related note (attitude), I thought Fagerson was a bit of a d!ck last week, plenty of cheap shots off the ball and pointless little tiffs. Would love Mata to do unto him what he did to Smith last time out, and also hope Muzz serves him his KelvinDeaker on a plate in the scrum.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 pm

New Gunner wrote:
He's a typically nippy scrum half, but definitely helped us in that respect on Saturday. The match-up with Price should be interesting this week, Sammy definitely schooled Finn's other half at Murrayfield.

On a related note (attitude), I thought Fagerson was a bit of a d!ck last week, plenty of cheap shots off the ball and pointless little tiffs. Would love Mata to do unto him what he did to Smith last time out, and also hope Muzz serves him his KelvinDeaker on a plate in the scrum.

Fagerson gets up to that nonsense every week. In a big game he's going to cost him - hopefully not for Scotland! Needs to calm if down.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Pyrgos to Edinburgh does make sense but I'm not mad keen on him as he's just a bit slow and his pass isn't as crisp as once was.

SHC leaving is a shame but I do think to find his best rugby he needs to go. Just not happening for him here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:54 pm

To my mind the only signings that would make sense right now are players who are either young and hungry and on an arc towards the top of their game or seasoned internationals with a proven pedigree like Barclay.

If the SRU want to shuffle the deck and keep players under contract they can send them to Worcester or London Scottish

We need to be more ambitious now, we have a top quality coach and the basis of a good side. If Sam H-C is on his way out then I'd want someone like George Horne or Ben Vellacott or do an Ulster and get a Ruan Pienaar-type
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 pm

I'd say no to Pyrgos. Take him out of Glasgow, and I think he might be solid, but no improvement on Fowles/Kennedy.

Mainly though because he's not actually OOC this season, but next.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Scott Steele would be the obvious move. It kind of feels inevitable. Vellacot would be great but still under contract at Gloucester.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 am

You can shove Pyrgos where the sun doesn't shine. He's not very good.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 am

macdone wrote:Scott Steele would be the obvious move. It kind of feels inevitable. Vellacot would be great but still under contract at Gloucester.

:above: this, NOT Pyrgos!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 pm

People just want Steele because he'd be an exciting unknown. I don't think he's ever looked excellent when we've played Irish who themselves aren't very good.

Prygos was part of the winning Glasgow Pro14 team and has captained Scotland. I think he's lost a bit over the past few seasons but he's a good player.

I'm still hoping Shiel comes through.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:People just want Steele because he'd be an exciting unknown. I don't think he's ever looked excellent when we've played Irish who themselves aren't very good.

Prygos was part of the winning Glasgow Pro14 team and has captained Scotland. I think he's lost a bit over the past few seasons but he's a good player.

I haven't seen anything from Steele in 3 or 4 games v Irish in the last few years to set him apart from Kennedy or Fowles, so don't really see the point. Likewise Pyrgos, he doesn't represent an improvement on what we already have. There was a recent interview with Cockerill where he mentioned that Shiel was a good prospect, so maybe that's the plan.

Can't help feeling that we're losing the best of our 3 SHs because someone decided to bizarrely offer two year deals to Fowles and Kennedy.

EDIT Here's the Charlie Shiel (and others) quote:

The coach likes the look of young Edinburgh scrum-half Charlie Shiel and he places Stuart McInally amongst the best hookers in world rugby right now. Cockerill insists that, given time, Blair Kinghorn will challenge Stuart Hogg for his Scotland shirt and lock Lewis Carmichael is going to be a “very, very good player”.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4641339
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Cockers treatment of Shiel has been bizarre in carrying him as 24th man but not giving him gametime.

I don't think SHC is obviously the best 9 here. I think Fowles improved us last week when he came on as he brought some control. Will be interesting to see what Kennedy does. I don't think he's excellent but Pyrgos is an improvement on all three.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Thankfully Pyrgos is a weeg player until 2019. We need better than we have and better than weeg cast offs.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:02 am

New Gunner wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:People just want Steele because he'd be an exciting unknown. I don't think he's ever looked excellent when we've played Irish who themselves aren't very good.

I haven't seen anything from Steele in 3 or 4 games v Irish in the last few years to set him apart from Kennedy or Fowles, so don't really see the point. Likewise Pyrgos, he doesn't represent an improvement on what we already have. There was a recent interview with Cockerill where he mentioned that Shiel was a good prospect, so maybe that's the plan.

Can't help feeling that we're losing the best of our 3 SHs because someone decided to bizarrely offer two year deals to Fowles and Kennedy.

The coach likes the look of young Edinburgh scrum-half Charlie Shiel and he places Stuart McInally amongst the best hookers in world rugby right now. Cockerill insists that, given time, Blair Kinghorn will challenge Stuart Hogg for his Scotland shirt and lock Lewis Carmichael is going to be a “very, very good player”.

The thing is Steele is the best SQ scrum half option out there (assuming we can't get Vellacot). I'm not sure the SRU will be keen on a non SQ player taking up the first choice spot. He is of similar standard to SHC and Fowles and a proven pro. He's a good age - Pyrgos is on the wrong side of the hill unfortunately.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:12 am

macdone wrote:
New Gunner wrote:

The thing is Steele is the best SQ scrum half option out there (assuming we can't get Vellacot). I'm not sure the SRU will be keen on a non SQ player taking up the first choice spot. He is of similar standard to SHC and Fowles and a proven pro. He's a good age - Pyrgos is on the wrong side of the hill unfortunately.

If it will improve the SQ options then they should have no issue with a NSQ 9. with rotation etc all SQ options will get gametime.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 pm

If we're after SQ game time then Steele @ LI in the Premiership is fine, if they go down and he can't get a Premiership gig then is he good enough to worry about? So Steele, Vellacott, SHC (@ Bristol) and Laidlaw all SQ nines getting gametime in top leagues is fine by me. Add Price and/or Horne at Glasgow.

So the focus at Edinburgh should be on raising the quality, which I don't believe Steele does. If we could get Horne from Glasgow that would be ideal, but why would the / should they? Vellacott would likely be a step-up in quality and a great option if he decides to throw in his lot with Scotland (and therefore is of reduced attractiveness to Aviva Prem teams). There are doubts as to whether he will though, perhaps not least because the route to the English 9 jersey may be more straightforward...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum