Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby New Gunner on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm

If I have my records right, we had 22 of the current squad out of contract at the end of the season, or 21 now that Rambo has extended.

We are rumoured to have signed John Barclay from Scarlets (virtual certainty given sources), Jaco van der Walt from the Lions in SA, and Will Hurrell from Bristol. My guess is that van der Walt's arrival may not necessarily mean one of Weir or Tovey is out - we are short of 10s as Cockers has mentioned, so he may be additional.

That leaves us with potentially 18 or 19 spaces still to fill for 2018/19 - plenty opportunity for RC to recast the squad. So who would we keep, who would be out?

2018 OOC.png
2018 OOC.png (17.07 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Also had a go at the (Disco trademark) 2018/19 depth chart as it stands (with Barclay not yet confirmed by the club, and Luke Crosbie I think technically still on an academy contract?).

I guess you could say we require backs surgery?!

One edit - forgot to shade McCallum as SQ...

2018 depth.png
2018 depth.png (22.88 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm

I think given who else is there, etc etc there is a ranking of who we must keep, and for me McInally was in that top rank. Also, and I have to eat my words or at least my thoughts given early performances, but Cockers was spot on with Marfo. Given Dicko's age and injury status, Marfo moves up to top priority.
CDP is another on that list, he is finally getting back to his best after those terrible injuries. Toolis would be there too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Tichtheid wrote: Also, and I have to eat my words or at least my thoughts given early performances, but Cockers was spot on with Marfo. Given Dicko's age and injury status, Marfo moves up to top priority.

there has to be a huge decision coming on this one. Presumably Marfo will be due a big pay rise if he stays (guess he isn't on a huge wage currently) It would be a misuse of budget to retain 4 full cap loose head props. If Dicko has to retire, it kinda solves the problem a bit, but even 3 full current internationals in one squad is difficult.

And yes I know we have needed them all this season
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 am

Tichtheid wrote:I think given who else is there, etc etc there is a ranking of who we must keep, and for me McInally was in that top rank. Also, and I have to eat my words or at least my thoughts given early performances, but Cockers was spot on with Marfo. Given Dicko's age and injury status, Marfo moves up to top priority.

Funny you say that, because Cockers wasn't exactly bubbling with praise when Marfo got called up, I'm not sure how highly he rates him currently. The test will be where he ranks when everyone's fit, if they ever are. Sutherland coming back could already drop him to the bench, and Dickinson and Dell likely push him out of the 23 completely for long stretches.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 am

Wottie wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Barclay has signed.

Liking that a lot!

I think Barclay will be a good signing for you (would have been perfect if it had been the start of this season!) but maybe just worth tempering it by noting that his first 2 seasons will be either side of a World Cup. The third year of his deal he'll turn 34 at the start of that campaign and it will also be the 16th season of his pro career. I'd say if he plays more than 50% of Edinburgh's games during that time you'll be doing really well.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

disco wrote:I think Barclay will be a good signing for you (would have been perfect if it had been the start of this season!) but maybe just worth tempering it by noting that his first 2 seasons will be either side of a World Cup. The third year of his deal he'll turn 34 at the start of that campaign and it will also be the 16th season of his pro career. I'd say if he plays more than 50% of Edinburgh's games during that time you'll be doing really well.

I wonder when was the last time Heaslip or O'Brien played over 50% of Leinster matches? These guys play the Champs Cup games and a smattering of league games. If Edinburgh are to pull themselves, ourselves, out of the hole we need that sort of depth. Allied to that is the hope that Barclay will be the ideal mentor for Ritchie, Crosbie, Bradbury, Miller etc, his worth could be far greater off the park. No disrespect to the others, but having a new guy come in, someone of that caliber, it can be really inspiring.

I think a similar depth argument stands for Marfo and the looseheads (sounds like a band), we need at least three guys who can slot into any position, hopefully without dropping the standard. Dickinson isn't going to be around as a player for too much longer even if he does get back to full fitness, that leaves Sutherland, Dell and Marfo to cover a whole season of over thirty club games plus eight internationals, even if they all stay fit it's a heavy schedule.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am

I think Marfo would be a good signing for next season, he has stepped up well. I don't think this 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice business is that relevant across the season, as Cockerill is continuing to rotate players in all positions, which means all the looseheads will get starts, bench appearances and rests. Given the high incidence of injury in the front row and the fact that up to 6 of the 12 front rows could be away on international duty for up to 9 weeks in the 6N, there is a lot to be said for strength in depth.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 am

Here is the squad with those out of contract at end season. I have included Barclay, as the BBC has announced it.

As said previously, I won't presume to do a depth chart, opining who is 1st, 2nd, etc, as it's early in the season and also clear that Cockerill doesn't see a lot of difference between the players in most positions so far.

There will likely be another batch of Stage 3 Academy players given contracts next season, the reputed A games should give an idea of whose all ready to step up.
Attachments
Edinburgh squad 2018-19 (2).png
Edinburgh squad 2018-19 (2).png (93.96 KiB) Viewed 7651 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

Without knowing what deals are already done I think the coming SA games will be interesting to see who gets game time.

Hardie and probably K Bryce I cant see getting new contracts, Turner I would expect to make the move to Glasgow permanent.

With Barclay coming in and the emergence of Crosbie I can see Mata moving on, possibly to Glasgow, assuming CDP stays at ER.

Rasolea I think will move on

Harries – not sure, i think Fife may come in for him next season

Most of the others I would think will re-sign maybe slight question marks around Bresler, Weir and possibly even Hoyland but I think he will stay.

Are there any other academy players likely to make the move to pro this season?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

BigD163 wrote:Barclay has signed.

I'm not amazingly keen on veteran SQ players coming back if someone else could be paying their wages, but I think we need someone like him to help mentor the young back row players we have in the squad. Good signing.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Are there any other academy players likely to make the move to pro this season?

Beyond the obvious answer of Crosbie, there could be a couple.
Charlie Shiel's been with the squad so much he's almost pro already, so I'd say good chance there.
Fraser Renwick at hooker, since we'll likely lose Turner, and Cochrane's getting on. But Ross Graham's back in Scotland and put in some good performances in the Prem.

Others less likely. Maybe Dan Winning or Currie's new Saffer Duncan Ferguson at TH if we don't renew Bryce. Ross McCann if we lose a couple of back 3 players, George Taylor the same if Rasolea/Burleigh go.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

van der Walt confirmed by club on Twitter.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 pm

2.5 years available immediately could be a good bit of business.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Hope he turns out well, potentially he'll be on the bench for the next couple of games so it won't be long before we see what he's up to
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum