Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 am

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Bresler joined Worcester.

Thought he would be Cockerills sort of player, had very little match time this season but been very good for us in the past. Sorry to see him go wish him all the best.

Edit: Wonder if Solly is after anyone else

has clearly been behind Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie and Carmichael, hardly featured for a while. So Bresler move from a team on the up to one on the way down (or would be if LI were not even worse)

Suggests something other than on field and I'd guess his agent touted him to Solomons and others, Edinurgh happy to offload him now and free some budget for a prop or 2.

Looks spot on JS. The wording in the club's announcement "by mutual agreement to pursue other opportunities" tells you all you need to know. Looks like he hasn't made Cocker's good guy list and it works for all concerned for him to join Solly again at Worcester. Too early for the conspiracy theorists to read anything into this from an SRU / Worcester perspective, but if any more head south from ER or GW that might be a different ballgame. It's odd that the reports on that have all seemed to have gone quiet.

Good luck to him, I liked him as a player and I'm sure he will be a big help to Worcester in ensuring Premiership survival.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:35 am

Seen something on fb one of the Worcester locks has gone off to pursue nfl
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Wottie wrote:
joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Bresler joined Worcester.

Thought he would be Cockerills sort of player, had very little match time this season but been very good for us in the past. Sorry to see him go wish him all the best.

Edit: Wonder if Solly is after anyone else

has clearly been behind Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie and Carmichael, hardly featured for a while. So Bresler move from a team on the up to one on the way down (or would be if LI were not even worse)

Suggests something other than on field and I'd guess his agent touted him to Solomons and others, Edinurgh happy to offload him now and free some budget for a prop or 2.

Looks spot on JS. The wording in the club's announcement "by mutual agreement to pursue other opportunities" tells you all you need to know. Looks like he hasn't made Cocker's good guy list and it works for all concerned for him to join Solly again at Worcester. Too early for the conspiracy theorists to read anything into this from an SRU / Worcester perspective, but if any more head south from ER or GW that might be a different ballgame. It's odd that the reports on that have all seemed to have gone quiet.

Good luck to him, I liked him as a player and I'm sure he will be a big help to Worcester in ensuring Premiership survival.

Well it certainly doesn’t do anything for Scotland. Bresler is SQ at the moment but will lose it as soon as he goes down south.

Only thing it does for us is free up some wage.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:12 pm

zt1903 wrote:Well it certainly doesn’t do anything for Scotland. Bresler is SQ at the moment but will lose it as soon as he goes down south.

Only thing it does for us is free up some wage.

Is that how it works? I thought as long as you had done the requisite 3 year residency (soon to be 5) then you could be called up even if you have since moved to play in another country?
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:18 pm

To be honest Bressie was a long way off a cap, we had to lose two Grays, Swinson, Cummings, Gilcho, Toolis, Carmichael and probably Hunter-Hill and Fraz before Bresler would be getting the call

Best of luck to him, though, he deservedly won the Caulie Lug for his attitude on the park.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Pretty surprised by this, but I suppose it was clear that Cockerill didn't rate him too much. Timing's a bit awkward though, Gilchrist and Toolis could easily both be unavailable during the 6N, which will leave us with just McKenzie, Carmichael and Hunter-Hill.

I think it does mean that Bresler's no longer SQ, but IMO that doesn't mean much for Scotland. He might have picked up a couple of caps when there were injuries, but don't think he ever really would have challenged for the first choice 23.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Doeant bode well for our LH injuries if we are bringing another in.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:28 pm

BigD163 wrote:Doeant bode well for our LH injuries if we are bringing another in.

Probably (hopefully) too quick a turnaround for it to do with Sutherland, but doesn't leave you optimistic for Dell and Dickinson.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:29 pm

gowrie wrote:Pretty surprised by this, but I suppose it was clear that Cockerill didn't rate him too much. Timing's a bit awkward though, Gilchrist and Toolis could easily both be unavailable during the 6N, which will leave us with just McKenzie, Carmichael and Hunter-Hill.

I think it does mean that Bresler's no longer SQ, but IMO that doesn't mean much for Scotland. He might have picked up a couple of caps when there were injuries, but don't think he ever really would have challenged for the first choice 23.

Bill Mata can play in the second row, apparently
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

It was inevitable that some of those who were out of contract would move on, and Bresler was always lower down the priority list for re-signing. Wish him all the best though and could be a good move for both him and Wuss.

Worry will be that if Solomons is going to start poaching soon-to-be out of contract players, Du Preez could be next on his list.

As for Jordan Lay, don't know anything about him, but managing to pick up an international prop isn't a bad bit of business at all given that we're borderline crisis in terms of injuries.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm

gowrie wrote:Pretty surprised by this, but I suppose it was clear that Cockerill didn't rate him too much. Timing's a bit awkward though, Gilchrist and Toolis could easily both be unavailable during the 6N, which will leave us with just McKenzie, Carmichael and Hunter-Hill.

Gilchrist and Toolis are competing with the Gray's for 3 second row spots so if (big, big if) all stay fit I think that Toolis may be released to Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Big Richie still hasn't played this season though, and it only takes one injury.

No clue who gets released if they're all fit. Suppose it might depend on the team we're facing.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Rico wrote:It was inevitable that some of those who were out of contract would move on, and Bresler was always lower down the priority list for re-signing. Wish him all the best though and could be a good move for both him and Wuss.

Yes but Bresler still had a season and a half on his contract, so there is probably a bit more to it.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Bill Mata can play in the second row, apparently

He was actually signed as a second row that can play at 6 or 8 if I recall correctly. Remember thinking at the time how bizarre it was going to be to have a lock in our squad who also owned an Olympic 7's Winners medal. The guy is a bit of a freak really (in the nicest possible freaky way)!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Shame about Bressler, I thought he was a handy player who didnt shirk from the dirty work at the coal face, but I suppose Cockerill is slowly shaping up the squad he thinks he needs going forward. Releasing Bressler will free up some spaces in the squad and allow a few younger guys to get game time. As well as the signings already made we will see a few more well kent faces being off loaded as Cockerill comes to a conclusion about who fits the squad and who doesn't. Good to see him getting the squad better balanced between forwards and backs, strengthening our weak spot at 10, bringing back Fife and Johnston from the 7s squad and really promoting young guys in Graham and Crosbie who are stars of the future. Also good to see him trying to sort out the squad as soon as possible prior to next season, gives him plenty of time to work with the squad.

Surprised we signed a LH given gaps at TH following Berghans brain fart but I suppose in McCallum we have a very good young prop who can play either side if required?

Cockerill has committed long term and from my point of view has pinpointed the weaknesses in the squad and has moved pretty quickly to make changes for next season. He has not been helped by the Bradbury and Hardie situations and by the injuries/suspensions to our front row. We are beginning to see the impact of his leadership style and a real shift in the mental approach in the squad and a bit of belief growing in the camp. Big change from the dark Solomon Days when he was like a Dementor (watched Harry Potter last night!) and seemed to suck the life out of our wingers - Visser, Jones and Fife for example - and blame everyone but himself for our failings. Warriors are welcome to him! With Cockerill at least you know we will go down fighting!
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum