Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby gowrie on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

We do need a 4th LHP now, so hopefully Whyte gets a deal soon.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:09 pm

gowrie wrote:Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

We do need a 4th LHP now, so hopefully Whyte gets a deal soon.


I thought Whyte was a tighthead?

I think Cosgrove had to move, realistically. Hopefully he will make good progress at Bristol and be knocking on the door for international honours in due course.

Us having only two teams means there are limited opportunities for players and an ambitious young player will have tough decisions to make.

Good luck to him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Frenchy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
gowrie wrote:Really disappointing news about Cosgrove, even given our depth there, he'd get regular games during the international windows and potentially more through rotation if he kicks on.

We do need a 4th LHP now, so hopefully Whyte gets a deal soon.


I thought Whyte was a tighthead?

I think Cosgrove had to move, realistically. Hopefully he will make good progress at Bristol and be knocking on the door for international honours in due course.

Us having only two teams means there are limited opportunities for players and an ambitious young player will have tough decisions to make.

Good luck to him.

Think Whyte's primarily a LH, but has apparently played TH for Watsonians and for Western Province too.
Frenchy
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Sutherland and Dell are both 24, Cosgrove at 22 is not that much younger with Dickinson still top quality I think keeping Cosgrove would be a luxury and we could do with strength elsewhere. Still disappointing to lose a good young player but possibly gives an opening to an academy player to be fourth LH.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Sutherland and Dell are both 24, Cosgrove at 22 is not that much younger with Dickinson still top quality I think keeping Cosgrove would be a luxury and we could do with strength elsewhere. Still disappointing to lose a good young player but possibly gives an opening to an academy player to be fourth LH.


Dickinson is getting older and Sutherland/Dell are almost guaranteed a Scotland squad place at least unless Alex Allan or Jamie Bhatti develop considerably. Therefore - even without injury - you have around 12 weeks without your top 2 props.

We still need Whyte or Thornton to sign up for fourth as well. Cosgrove was playing quite nicely - shame the SRU have let him drop to the Champ.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.


He's better off playing every week in the Championship than just spending his time in the Murrayfield gym.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby macdone on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.


A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.
macdone
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:16 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby macdone on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Incidentally re Adam Hastings, he didn't chose Glasgow over us - there was no interest or offer from Edinburgh.
macdone
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:16 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby doedin on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 pm

I can imagine Cosgrove didn't want to be 4th choice LH at Embra. He might get game time during the international window but given the dross he has had to play with during the 6Ns then I don't think that would be a great motivation to stay. He has played well when given the chance on the pitch. Don’t have a problem with him moving on assuming we retain the others. Dickinson went down south to get a game when he couldn't get game time due to Chunk being 1st choice, however he came back once he had a chance of being top dog. Cosgrove may do the same?
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:52 pm

macdone wrote:Incidentally re Adam Hastings, he didn't chose Glasgow over us - there was no interest or offer from Edinburgh.


To be fair we have two 10s under contract for next season and they only have one. Probably one of those things the SRU aren't usually going to pit Glasgow and Edinburgh against each other for the same player - the last thing they want is to get into a bidding war with themselves...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby The Chiel on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.


He's better off playing every week in the Championship than just spending his time in the Murrayfield gym.


This - disappointed he's not coming to Scottish ( I may be slightly biased . . . ) But Scots in the Championship can learn a lot, and frees up space and of course budget for others in the 2 pro teams. Hunter - Hill the current standout, and Miller has also got on the bandwagon.
The Chiel
International
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 pm

macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.


A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.


Didn't lack game time? He's made maybe half a dozen appearances in three years!
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby macdone on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 am

biffer wrote:
macdone wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Cosgrove moving is bad news - especially very likely to the Championship. Wasting a year of his development down there.


A strange one - he didn't lack game time and would have had Dickinson and Cockerill to learn from. I get the impression Edinburgh aren't paying young players as much as other clubs.


Didn't lack game time? He's made maybe half a dozen appearances in three years!


He's been here this season and last. Last season he played regularly on loan at London Scottish. This season it's been Dell and Cosgrove for the majority of the season. I suspect he just got a more lucrative offer.
macdone
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:16 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby liveinhope on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 am

Bristol are an extremely wealthy club so I imagine he would have been offered well in excess of what Edinburgh could pay a fourth choice LH.
Lets just hope we don't have injuries on that side next season-probably the turn for the hoodoo to strike somewhere else of course!
I like Cosgrove and fully expect we'll see him back at Murrayfield within 2/3 years 9in a Scotland shirt this time).
liveinhope
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EWT spoons and 4 guests