Glasgow v Racing

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Glasgow v Racing

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Glasgow on fire in the first 15mins, some of racings massive pack look pooped already.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Glasgow v Racing

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:33 pm

What a half of rugby from the Weeg. Looking forward to seeing the state of that Racing pack by 80!

Gatland must be weeping at Toonie's rejection and Fraser Brown, new bolter for the Lions IMO.
Last edited by Wottie on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Great first 40 from Glasgow although a fair number of racings players looked pretty disinterested as soon as Glasgow got ahead.

Russell, Johnson Brown and Fagerson all really impressive.

Counts for nothing come boxing day time when it is time to bust out the "we love salt n sauce" chant.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Aye those two butter bean props barely move and are getting pumped in the scrum so what is the point I having them?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Wottie wrote:What a half of rugby from the Weeg. Looking forward to seeing the state of that Racing pack by 80!

Gatland must be weeping at Toonie's rejection and Fraser Brown, new bolster for the Lions IMO.

I can't see Gatland and Toonie working well together - talk about different styles. Also, Brown's lineout throwing will mean he won't make the Lions - and potentially why Ford will be starting 2 for Scotland come the Six Nations. I think Russell falls within Lions bolter but the bandwagon is gathering members.

Glasgow look unplayable right now, would hate for them to tire out and spend the week patting themselves on the back...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Ridiculously frustrating second half. Sloppy, no control over territory, didn't threaten their defence and their own was pretty fragile in the middle of the park which let Racing keep moving back into their half and putting them under pressure.

The win's good but how on earth did they WayneBarnes up the Bonus point?

Price is also head and shoulders over Pyrgos now, Fagerson is coming into his own as a truly top class TH.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm

*tips hat* a really good win for glasgow some standout performances from Brown, Russell, fagerson and Price.

I think taking price off was a mistake and possibly cost them the BP as pyrgos not great slowed stuff and passing meh.

Edit: To slow ipa impaired typing totaly agree gowrie

Would also add that i would be seriously TonySpreadbury off i paid racings wages they looked like they didn't give a SteveWalsh for 60 odd minutes.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:57 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Would also add that i would be seriously TonySpreadbury off i paid racings wages they looked like they didn't give a SteveWalsh for 60 odd minutes.

I played amateur lower tier rugby in France for four seasons and I recognise the same things now at the top that I saw then down in the weeds, there is no real interest in digging deep in an away fixture but they defend their home turf with their lives. They can often turn on each other, the Paris clubs are very different from those down in the Pyrenees and across the south, they can be aloof where the southern teams have real grit, a real sense of where they are from.

These are stereotypes for a reason and it doesn't really seem to matter how many foreign players they bring in, the culture survives.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 am

Carter was zero carriers, zero offloads, zero defenders beaten, zero metres for a EUR1m plus a season :eek:

He was not the only one Rococoko one of the best wingers of his era looked like he could not be bothered running and looked to pass after a few steps. Appreciate Glasgow played their part in not letting them play to potential but jeez, the difference v Wilkinson when at Toulon is huge and shows why he is rightly held in such high regard.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:43 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Carter was zero carriers, zero offloads, zero defenders beaten, zero metres for a EUR1m plus a season :eek:

He was not the only one Rococoko one of the best wingers of his era looked like he could not be bothered running and looked to pass after a few steps. Appreciate Glasgow played their part in not letting them play to potential but jeez, the difference v Wilkinson when at Toulon is huge and shows why he is rightly held in such high regard.

Carter was tremendous last season to be fair, Glasgow completely bullied them up front somehow.

Not a vintage rugby for Racing or the French club game in Europe by looks of the things ... Maybe if they're lucky they'll be patronised and belittled like the Pro12 last year after the European struggles.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:43 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Carter was zero carriers, zero offloads, zero defenders beaten, zero metres for a EUR1m plus a season :eek:

Things don't seem entirely rosy at Racing. Goosen their 24YO Bok FH/FB has just retired from rugby to take up an unspecified corporate directorship :eek: Funnily enough he apparently wanted out of his contract to move to Montpellier quite recently, he was told no. We should start a pool on when he 'unretires'.

Just for SteveWalsh and giggles,

Russell

Kicks 16
Passes 25
Runs 14
Metres 81
Clean breaks 4
Defenders beaten 10! :eek:
Offloads 3

Disco has been doing Glasgow stats for 4 years now, he's never known a single Glasgow player of any position to beat 10 defenders in one game. He smashed a couple of rucks as well.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Goosen their 24YO Bok FH/FB has just retired from rugby

Russell

Kicks 16
Passes 25
Runs 14
Metres 81
Clean breaks 4
Offloads 3

Better hope Racing aren't looking for a replacement then, somebody may have put himself at the top of their wish list :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:06 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Goosen their 24YO Bok FH/FB has just retired from rugby

Russell

Kicks 16
Passes 25
Runs 14
Metres 81
Clean breaks 4
Offloads 3

Better hope Racing aren't looking for a replacement then, somebody may have put himself at the top of their wish list :)

He's too smart to join that shambles :wink:
hp18
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum