Andy Robinson

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Andy Robinson

Postby gowrie on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:08 pm

macdone wrote:
gowrie wrote:The issue is that Robinson just got sacked because under him Bristol were getting pumped every single game. He'd be no better than what we have now.

And who is someone like him? What coaches are available to us? I can't think of any names right now, and it doesn't do much good to complain about the job Hodge and Scott are doing if there's no realistic alternative.

Dave Rennie wasn't someone you would have said was available but Glasgow signed him up. I suspect there will be lots of people who would like the job. There are 38 head coaching jobs in the European professional leagues. Rugby coaching is an insecure career to say the least, so a 3 year contract with a salary of 100k+ will be pretty attractive.

I would have done actually, I called it on this forum a week before it happened. The point is that we can't afford to buy contracts out, so we're reliant on coaches out of work or coming to the end of their contract, and there simply aren't many of those about who are any good. Rennie's on £300k p.a reportedly, anyone we can get with a third of that will be just as much of a risk as sticking with Hodge, and they'd still have our current assistants for their first year.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:The issue is that Robinson just got sacked because under him Bristol were getting pumped every single game. He'd be no better than what we have now.

And who is someone like him? What coaches are available to us? I can't think of any names right now, and it doesn't do much good to complain about the job Hodge and Scott are doing if there's no realistic alternative.

That's a question for Petrie and Dodson really, they'll hopefully be finding out available and wants to join Edinburgh. I'd like Toby Booth at Bath, did very well at London Irish and according to David Flatman Bath's resurgence is down to Booth who was in charge of them over the summer before Blackadder joined. Blackadder will want more of a say as the season goes on so Booth may look elsewhere if he wants to be a head coach again.

Booth might actually be a good option. Blackadder may well want to bring his own staff in as contracts run out.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Good shout on Booth those that made it.

Either way this situation is pretty unsatisfactory. Hodge not knowing if the gig is his or not and a shedload of really key contracts up at the end of this season. We should start to see new contracts being announced from January through to the end of the season but I'm not sure that's going to be the case whilst the uncertainty over the coaching team remains (probably more so in the back line than up front!).
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Well, if we're after someone similar to Andy Robinson, how about Stuart Lancaster? A man with something to prove for the same reasons AR was, and doing good stuff at Leinster at the moment. If we're bringing someone in from outside, he'd be a good shout.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Yes, I'd be happy with Lancaster. Amazed he is not in a head coaches job now. Take away the whole Burgess debacle (which was probably not of his making) and it could all have been very different with England. Representative rugby for Scotland as well!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:30 am

gowrie wrote:
macdone wrote:

Dave Rennie wasn't someone you would have said was available but Glasgow signed him up. I suspect there will be lots of people who would like the job. There are 38 head coaching jobs in the European professional leagues. Rugby coaching is an insecure career to say the least, so a 3 year contract with a salary of 100k+ will be pretty attractive.

I would have done actually, I called it on this forum a week before it happened. The point is that we can't afford to buy contracts out, so we're reliant on coaches out of work or coming to the end of their contract, and there simply aren't many of those about who are any good. Rennie's on £300k p.a reportedly, anyone we can get with a third of that will be just as much of a risk as sticking with Hodge, and they'd still have our current assistants for their first year.

I suppose it depends on how much we want to pay. I can't think of many coaches in the 300k bracket (like Heyneke Meyer and Jake White) who would justify the outlay.

Below that payscale Rob Penney, Mark Anscombe or Johann Ackerman might be worth a try. Aaron Mauger seems to have fallen out with Richard Cockerill at Leicester. My own personal favourite would be Steve Meehan because of the way he had Bath playing - pretty much the carbon copy of Townsend´s style.

Closer to home i think Stuart Lancaster is a good option as well as Toby Booth. I'm a fan of Bryan Redpath although I haven't really followed his progress at Leeds.

I'm sure Dodson has a much better list than I can think of. Hodge is the man in possession but I think he has a bit to prove for him to get the job.
macdone
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum