1872 cup Round 1: Invasion of the soap dodgers

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 cup Round 1: Invasion of the soap dodgers

Postby disco on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
I've tried to be as even-handed as I can... :D

A reasonably fair effort - normally I would have DuPreez easily ahead of Strauss but Strauss played really well last match out and my gut says Watson ahead of Favaro although they offer something different at 7 so even maybe if I am being generous.

Dell ahead of Grant for me.

Hoping for a really good match.

I'd probably agree over the last 12 months CDP over Strauss but big Josh is just coming onto a wee run of form whereas CDP has struggled for game time recently so that was my thinking there.

Watson and Favaro I found tough to call because they bring very different things to their teams. Watson has more of a jackalling presence and definitely contributes more with ball in hand. But then Favaro's line speed and energy he brings to the defensive effort can be hugely influential in games. Calling it even was maybe a bit of a cop out but I'm sticking with it!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:03 pm

disco wrote:
I think I would have Rory Sutherland well ahead of Dell in terms of scrummaging and effectiveness in carrying and (even though he's taking a few games to get back up to speed) Dickinson would still be my number 1 for Scotland and Edinburgh by a fair distance.

From what we've seen over the last couple of years I completely agree, but with Sutherland currently injured and Dicko only just coming back after what, nearly six months of injury, I think Dell is top dog today, right now.

Same with The Beard To Be Feard, he's currently ahead of CDP, but when they are both fit and firing there isn't a whole lot in it, perhaps our man's pace shades it for him, speaking as an Embra fan.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 pm

I prefer to see a running center outside of Weir, but Burleigh was brilliant against Glasgow last year. I'm not sure the tandem Weir/Burleigh will work, but that is not my main concern on this game.
I can't see us winning, partly because of Glasgow's form, partly because Solomons is not there anymore. Don't think than I regret him, but I have to admit that he knew how to handle Glasgow.
Our defense is poor, and our pack is not fearsome anymore. We play a more ambitious rugby but I just think that Glasgow will be able to take advantage of it.
Anyway, it could be a really pleasant game.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:31 pm

germain wrote:I prefer to see a running center outside of Weir, but Burleigh was brilliant against Glasgow last year. I'm not sure the tandem Weir/Burleigh will work, but that is not my main concern on this game.
I can't see us winning, partly because of Glasgow's form, partly because Solomons is not there anymore. Don't think than I regret him, but I have to admit that he knew how to handle Glasgow.
Our defense is poor, and our pack is not fearsome anymore. We play a more ambitious rugby but I just think that Glasgow will be able to take advantage of it.
Anyway, it could be a really pleasant game.

I've always seen "running centre" as a creative attacking playermaker type, ie what Burleigh apppears to me.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:04 pm

I meant a strong guy running straight in the face of the opposite 12 :D Not the Burleigh type.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Well, I'm just hoping none of these west coast rapscallions sit close to me, as it will fair sour my pouilly-fuisse.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Normally I don't care but, last year there was a twat sat a couple of seats along who knew every swear word invented, he had kids with him too, as did we, he was asked to tone it down but this only turned his ire on me , I was close to becoming unrugby like and making like football fan to cool his jets when a steward stepped in and the weggie took the cream puff and left. His fellow warrior fans around us apologised for his behaviour, one bad apple doesn't mark them all the same, fortunately.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Normally I don't care but, last year there was a twat sat a couple of seats along who knew every swear word invented, he had kids with him too, as did we, he was asked to tone it down but this only turned his ire on me , I was close to becoming unrugby like and making like football fan to cool his jets when a steward stepped in and the weggie took the cream puff and left. His fellow warrior fans around us apologised for his behaviour, one bad apple doesn't mark them all the same, fortunately.

Had a similar issue at 'their' game. An older guy 50s who should have known better with his son. Son was calling me all the names under the sun at the end of the game. TonySpreadbury and ignorant.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Knew it wasn't going to be a good day when the mascot said he got a horse for Christmas
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:30 pm

No complaints about the result. I don't think Glasgow deserved the BP. We were our own worst enemy again at times. Did we do enough for a lbp, not sure. Glasgow just a little better in most positions. Thought we looked a little sharper when Kennedy and Tovey came on
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm

GaryIPA wrote:No complaints about the result. I don't think Glasgow deserved the BP. We were our own worst enemy again at times. Did we do enough for a lbp, not sure. Glasgow just a little better in most positions. Thought we looked a little sharper when Kennedy and Tovey came on

We were pretty good up until 30 minutes, our pack was beating theirs and our backs were making ground. Aside from the massive Kinghorn error they didn't create anything.

Then it all went to pot and they outclassed us. No complaints, we've been lucky the last few years so probably had a defeat coming.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Looked a bit sharper when the subs came on, sure. But that's always what happens when the game breaks up and you're given the chance to play against tiring/disorganised defence.

Thought Bradbury and Dean had fairly good games, H-C getting a couple of pelters I've seen but I thought he was decent-good for the most part having to deal with a greasy ball and a messy breakdown. Dickinson doesn't look fully fit, Dell should be starting. Ford was not good at all today, at the line-out or in the loose. CdP was poor as well and certainly didn't do his Scotland chances much good.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:46 pm

I thought du Preez was pretty good today, the first half I thought his carrying was very effective. I'd keep the back row the same for the next game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:06 pm

After 20 mins there was only ever going to be one winner today. We were done over by a Weegie team playing at half throttle and who had rested a few players. Apart from the last play I don't think we ever looked like scoring a try, no penetration and too many guys not able to do the simple things well. Looks like we have cemented 10th place.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:10 pm

doedin wrote:After 20 mins there was only ever going to be one winner today. We were done over by a Weegie team playing at half throttle and who had rested a few players. Apart from the last play I don't think we ever looked like scoring a try, no penetration and too many guys not able to do the simple things well. Looks like we have cemented 10th place.

Just glad we don't have Treviso next week
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum